iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard starting 10 hp Single blade edger EG50G10

Started by MartyParsons, November 16, 2015, 09:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Went out on a service call today. Customer purchased a Single blade Edger a few years ago. He said the engine would run great but it seemed hard to start. He purchased a new handle for the recoil at our open house. I went to his location today. I grabbed the handle and it about ripped the cord out of my hand. I did bring a new valve cover gasket. The intake valve was loose and the exhaust was tight. The spec for this is .004 to .006 for both valves. After the adjustment the engine started much easier. The engine is a 10 hp Briggs and it does have adjustable rocker arms.
Thought it might be something everyone may need to know.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

StimW

To further explain the problem-
When the valves get out of adjustment the compression release doesn't work and the engine is firing causing a kickback.
The compression release works at low RPM by opening the exhaust valve slightly letting the engine turn over easily bringing up the RPM for cranking. When the RPM increases the release drops out and the momentum lets it start and run.
When the valve is out of adjustment you have no compression release.
I have had/felt that kickback when the starter rope is JERKED out of my hand and it almost racks my whole body!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

sawguy21

Smarts don't it? ;D Your customer probably notices an improvement in performance. Check the rocker stud before adjusting the valves, they are known to back out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

I have a chain saw that does that...
I wish it had adjustable valves.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

StimW

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 17, 2015, 05:59:54 AM

You might check the flywheel key to see if it is partially sheared letting it fire early. ???
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Kbeitz

Quote from: StimW on November 17, 2015, 07:25:59 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on November 17, 2015, 05:59:54 AM

You might check the flywheel key to see if it is partially sheared letting it fire early. ???

Thanks...  But I dont think it's a timming issue. Just very high compression.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

snowshoveler

They keep moving the de compression from valve to valve.
Its all about less emissions.
When on the exhaust valve the little burp of the valve can let out a tiny amount of unburned fuel.
Putting it on the intake valve means the burb will stay in the intake and be burned when the engine starts.
At least that's how they explain it.
When it does not work as advertised, the cord, the handle or your hand say ouch.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Thank You Sponsors!