iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

central boiler 5036

Started by firefreak47, November 19, 2008, 07:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefreak47

just pick up my 5036 sunday and plan to hook it up sat. but as it sits in my driveway a neighbor already said they are going to complain about the smoke. the people i know that have cb furnaces say they dont smoke that bad. so just looking for more info on this model, there is a lot of negativity online about owb and how bad they smoke and the emissions they give off which my neighbor printed and gave to my wife, was wondering if there are any websites with emission test that i can give to them thanks. also i have a permit from town for this so not much neighbor can do but would love to prove them wrong

antos_ketcham

I had a similar situation and here is what I did.

First - I used a burn barrel at different locations on my property to determine which spot had the best wind pattern for dispersing the smoke away from my house and the neighbors house. This changes with leaves on the trees versus off so I tested both.

Second - I used some staging and a laser level to determine the height of the peak of my roof and the height of my neighbors roof. Once this was known I purchased additional sections of chimney and got the chimney up so it was higher than the peak of my neighbors roof.

I also didn't put a chimney cap on. These tend to reduce the velocity of the smoke and cause it to go down and hang around the ground.

I lined the bottom of the firebox with firebrick. This helps maintain the coal bed and helps get the fire going more quickly thus reducing smoke.

I set the aquastat to 195 during the coldest months. From what I can tell this helps keep the return water warmer and thus reduces the chilling of the fire from the water jacket being too cool.

Lastly - I make sure I burn only well seasoned dry wood. Larger pieces (although not enormous) seem to smoke less than lots of little small pieces. So key here is having a wood shed or at least making sure you cover your wood piles with metal roofing and make sure it can dry from two sides - so my rows are all two deep. Let the wood season at least a year - two is better.

This has worked to keep my neighbors happy with the CB and no complaints.

If you still have issues or concerns you could also add a forced draft to the air solenoid.

Good Luck.

Pete

thecfarm

How far away are your neigbors? I have a feeling you could print out all the infro about the good of a CB furnace and they would still stand there and yellar,They smoke,They smoke.I would go back to the dealer and ask for some infro,if they wil be any help.I know I have read-heard about having the chimmey so far above the highest house ridge from somewhere to be "legal". But as was stated dry your wood correctly and it makes a BIG differance.I have seen smoke come out of chimmeys in houses that look pretty bad too.But that's OK,it was not a ODF.  ::) 

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefreak47

i positioned the owf on my propety where most of the time the wind will blow it to the back where it is just fields and woods but i know there are some days that the smoke doesnt go up the weather just makes it hang towards the ground even from a wood stove with a chimmney i know that they are going to smoke but they make it seem like i am going to smoke out the nieghborhood, and that probally come from all the negative things that you can find online about them thats why i was trying to find some actual emission test data from it because they brought over a site from the office of attorney general smoke gets in you lungs which you can google if you would like to read, but even that states there have not been enough testing done. and if i was to put a wood stove in my house the chiminey would be on the side of my house probally 75 feet closer to there house than my owf.i was thinking about adding more sections of chiminey but was wondering do you have to clean these chiminey like a wood stove and if so how to you get up to them thanks

Thank You Sponsors!