iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Charlie's silver maple

Started by Tom, August 05, 2008, 11:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

They still use "Plum" around here in Indiana.  8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

CHARLIE

After reading WDH's post, I went and took a closer look at the tree trunk. The trunk under the bark is split and there seems to be some fungus and rot starting. There is a small circle of what looks like decay starting and another place that looks like black mold. the bark and cambium layer is trying to heal but leving the wood and its split open to the environment. By the way....SwampDonkey was correct. The major split is on the Southwest side of the tree.

After seeing what is happening along the split of the wood, I'm thinking I might have to take it down. I might wait awhile longer and see what happens before I do that though. It's a beautiful tree and it is about 8 to 10 years old.  I hate to lose it.  If I have to replant, it'll be a long time before I'll see a tree there of that size. Heck! I'll be in my mid 70s by then!  :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

thecfarm

As they say,How old would you be if you did not plant the tree?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I here ya Charlie. It takes 20-30 years up this way to get a nice sized yard tree. That's a lot of time invested.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I've seen 4to10 inch trees split like that when they get heavily laden with snow and bend to the ground.
Sometimes they actually snap off, but other times, the wood within the tree just shifts and the tree splits.
They will usually survive, but would never make very good lumber.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPIKER

I see that around here inOHIO a lot too,  smaller trees exposed to the sun in winter will warm up like mentioned, then re-freeze and crack.   usually on the south south-west side.   there are a lot of ways to prevent, some paint the stems white others use burlap and stakes to make a small tent around the tree to prevent.   Once cracked it is likely to get worse every season.   so while survival is likely long term the tree will keep the scar showing until it totally grows over.   also if it is near the house then when it does it is likely to be hollow and more prone to damaging something nearby. 

just my 2 cents worth.  with inflation that means it is worth about 1/200ths of a penny if the penny was made prior to 1982 when it was all copper! ;)  lol

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

PC-Urban-Sawyer

All this talk of "plum" and nobody even remarked on the fact that the thread had made its way to food!

After all, if a plum pie was good enough for Little Jack Horner, who are we to complain?

Thank You Sponsors!