iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sick Mill - Possible Clutch?

Started by quadracutter222, March 29, 2020, 12:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadracutter222

Hello all, I hope you and your families are well amidst these greatly upset conditions.

I have started a red cedar boat lumber milling project, quarter sawing 16' clear red cedar quarters, which was going really really well, producing some amazing wide 6 quarter lumber, until it stopped going well, and I had to shut down.

It seems like something is getting stuck or jammed, in the wheel/drive system.  My process when changing blades to check the alignment is to spin the idle side by hand three revolutions of the saw to make sure its tracking properly.  Now, it does not free spin by hand.  I can get it to spin, but have to really pull on the idle wheel.

I pulled the bets from the drive wheel flywheel to make sure the drive wheel shaft bearings are free spinning, as well as the hydraulic pump off the main engine drive shaft, to rule out any external issues. 

When the plugs were pulled, everything free spooled and spun fine.  

The engine starts and runs as normal, except at low idle the blade does not stop.  Previously when the throttle was all the way down, the blade would eventually stop but now it runs on with the motor, and starts spinning as soon as the engine starts.

I'll be calling a local Woodmizer rep Monday, who has been extremely helpful with my old obscure mill (WoodCraft), but who knows if their shop is even open at the moment.  I have added some pics for reference, perhaps someone can help narrow my search?

dgdrls

The clutch is the next thing to check,

D

luap

I would take those three bolts off and remove that cover and take a look inside. It appears to have one bolt missing? The inboard end off the clutch also appears to be discolored from heat? Something is going on in there that is not right.

sprucebunny

I had the same thing happen with a similar clutch. For one thing, the bearings were bad and for another, there were some unused set screws inside the thing that had moved in a way that kept it permanently engaged. The inside of mine wasn't nicked up too bad and it works better with the new bearings but if I had the time and money, I'd replace it.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

quadracutter222

Thanks all for the replies.  luap, I think the colour you are seeing is blue paint.

sprucebunny, I suspect this is the issue, a bad bearing inside that sheave fixture.  How does that get pulled off the shaft I wonder?  Behind that plate is the clutch, then a large nut.  I am guessing with the nut off and the set screws out I'll need some of pulling tool?

sprucebunny

Here is a link to a thread with pictures.
Cent. clutch & crankshaft endplay ?s in Sawmills and Milling

I think I just used big sockets to drive the bearings out. You'll probably understand when you take it all apart. Also the long wrap around spring in there maybe broken or stretched out.

quadracutter222

Thanks for that link, the inside behind that cover plate looks a lot like mine.  It looks like the actual clutch parts are fine, nothing broken.  I suspect it is the bearings inside that run on the drive shaft.  I think I need to get some pen oil in their take the set screws off and see if I can pull it off the shaft.  

The problem does get better, is free spins with the plugs out, but is not completely gone.  Being a mechanical noob, how can I rule out that it is not the motor?

I suppose that the section that has the drive belts should turn independent of the motor, turning around the driveshaft on the bearings if everything is working correctly.  Turning the drive wheel and having the engine turn over must mean those bearings are messed right up.  I believe what I need to replace is the clutch idler bearing.  Hopefully, the end of the shaft is not facked.  

Thoughts? I think I'd rather be $awing.

sprucebunny

I thought I was having engine problems, also and did throw some new parts at the engine but it was largely the bearings. They are cheap and easy to replace and then you can rule that out. 

Once I got it off the shaft and apart I could see that the bearings had been overheated as the plastic casing that makes them "permanent" was messed up. I bought bearings with a metal cover.

Thank You Sponsors!