iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for delimbing fir trees

Started by Haymaker101, December 30, 2017, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haymaker101

Hi,
I have 600, 30' fir trees to clear planted 8' on center. I need a way to delimb the bottom 16-20' of the tree. I will process this wood into firewood. The tops I will burn in the spring.
The branches I need to trim are no more than 1" and the treees do not exceed 10-12" dbh.
I have tractors, grapples, trackscavator, skidsteer,
And farminwinch available to use.
How would you do it besides which a chain saw? I found YouTube video of what's called a Karsis Oy. They are not found America though, at least not online. I would like to buy something like this rather than try to build on.
Let's hear your ideas, thank you

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

also please update your profile so we can see what country and city you are in.

chubby

DDW_OR

DDW_OR

barbender

In the frozen north, all you have to do is skid them to delimb, they all snap off.
Too many irons in the fire

Haymaker101

I'm looking for this https://youtu.be/TlR5qPXBPlQ but in America, not Europe. Anyone seen one before? Sure I can weld and make one, but why reinvent the wheel. Thanks

DDW_OR

starmac

Up until 2 years ago the sawmill had their own logging crews here, it is pretty much all winter logging so they would just use rub trees and pretty much delimb with the skidder, any limbs left at the landing they would run the skidder over them and break them off. There were loggers logging pulp that did the same, when we had a pulp market.
Now the mill does not run their own crews anymore and prefer wood that has been run through a processor head. I do not even like skidder processed wood for my own sawmill either. Even the guy I hauled firewood logs to this year, much prefers wood that has been run through a processor, he has to do a little chainsaw work to skidder limbed wood before he loads it on his firewood proccessors.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Jeff

Oh man, I gotta quote that one.  :D

Quote from: starmac on December 30, 2017, 07:23:34 PM
Up until 2 years ago da millin machine had their own logging crews here, it is pretty much all good sleddin season logging so they woulda just use rub trees and pretty much delimb with da skidder, any limbs left at da landing they woulda run da skidder over dem and break dem off. There were loggers logging pulp dat did da same, when us guys had a pulp market.
Now da mill does not run their own crews anymore and prefer wood dat has been run through a processor head. I do not even like skidder processed wood for disguy's own millin machine either. Even da guy I hauled smoked suckers logs ta dis year, much prefers wood dat has been run through a processor, dat guy has ta do a little powersaw work ta skidder limbed wood before dat guy loads it on dat yooper's smoked suckers proccessors.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Haymaker101

I'm looking for the $500 dollar option, not 5k to 120k as shown. Thanks guys

thecfarm

And you guys have to remember,he only has a tractor. He's not going to bull through the brush without doing some damage to his tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logger RK

If it's cold enough & it's not a high production job,tie one end of a long chain to something solid & the other end that's has a slip hook around the tree your skidding out.Pull ahead & if it's cold enough you'll leave the limbs with the chain. Iv never tried it but a Women Skidder Operator I knew told me her & her Dad logged Balsum with a tractor like that.

Skeans1

My question would be are you thinning, clear cutting, or just removing the bottom limbs for looks?
Before we had a processor or a pull through we used a chain flail mounted to the back of a JD 555 track loader with a small shear head for cutting up front.

Haymaker101

I'm clear cutting the area and will stump it on the spring. The area will be replanted with Christmas trees in the spring of 2018. All ground in flat and the trees are planted in straight runs.
I'm just looking for a cheap and easy way to delimb the trees so we can put it through our firewood processor. The top of the tree I will burn.

Southside

I think the "stripper" is around a $5K option.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

Maybe a limbing gate would be an option. Are you already in the Noble fir Christmas tree business? Only reason I ask is there's been a ton planted in the last year so they'll be another glut coming in the future.

Corley5

I'd agree that a limbing grate would be a good way to go :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

starmac

WOW Jeff, I go to a lot of trouble to not type how I talk, then youse change it right back.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Haymaker101 on December 30, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
Hi,
I have 600, 30' fir trees to clear planted 8' on center. I need a way to delimb the bottom 16-20' of the tree. I will process this wood into firewood. The tops I will burn in the spring.
The branches I need to trim are no more than 1" and the treees do not exceed 10-12" dbh.
I have tractors, grapples, trackscavator, skidsteer,
And farminwinch available to use.
I have a bunch of cedar with 1.5 to 3" limbs (dead) and some live limbs.  I used my Skytrak with forks - start at the top and just drop down - they pop right off (standing trees).  How high can you reach with your grapple?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Grandpa

When you read Jeff's translation, remember that proper Yooperese is spoken with a Finnish accent.

I refer you to Youtube, Da Yoopers.

DDW_OR

Quote from: DDW_OR on December 30, 2017, 05:42:21 PM
The Stripper Delimber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSqfpSgNk38
I agree the Stripper is too much $$ for your situation

maybe fabricate something like it.
for the base, use the trailer hitch frame from a manufactured home
for the vertical post, use a 12 inch pipe
for the head, use a 12 inch pipe cut in half with a heavy piece of steel for the handle
for the swivel, a pipe to fit inside the 12 inch vertical pipe. do not forget to grease the swivel.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Haymaker101 on December 30, 2017, 05:07:45 PM
https://youtu.be/TlR5qPXBPlQ
I'm looking for this but in America, not Europe. Anyone seen one before? Sure I can weld and make one, but why reinvent the wheel. Thanks
yep a good cheap setup, but have to re-clamp around every tree.

Modify - i watched the vid and it looks like they are delimbing the same tree.

Haymaker101

I agree with building a delimberbased off a old trailer frame. I don't need somthing that rugged as in the videos and appreciate the feedback

Thank You Sponsors!