Pictures of your figured gunstocks

Started by Walnut Beast, November 15, 2020, 01:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Let's see your pretty wood gunstocks

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

@Walnut Beast That sure is a beaut. I much more like the look of a wooden stock, but I prefer the straighter shooting of the fiberglass stocks more so. It's a shame in a way, as guns can be things of beauty. I've went to stainless and fiberglass in all my shooters.

Here's my whitetail set up.

Necessity is the engine of drive

kantuckid

I competed in smallbore rifle (high power in Army) for many years. Life member of the KS Rifle Assoc.. 
Myself and the many people (state champions and more they were, including one KS Olympic Champion shooter, Margaret Thompson, who shot at my club) who ;Dutsh ;Dt me!, used high dollar target rifles with walnut stocks and regular steel barrels.
 Those rifles usually had straight grained wood not the fancy stuff as more commonly seen on shotguns & deer rifles. I shot a Remington 40XB. 

I'll admit to some reluctance to talk about stocks here on the web. Having lost an entire collection some years ago in KS, web talk scares me, even here in this forum. Suffice to say I have done a number of custom stocks over the years. I do my own inletting and checkering. Not sure my senior eyes would like checkering now? I still have 20/20 but it is the most extreme vision killer I have experienced! The women who did the checkering in the old Missouri gun stock factories all suffered from eye problems later. 
I have one striped maple stock. 
A great source for walnut stocks (and bowl turning blanks too) is often free. Go to a log concentration yard and sweet talk the people there (out of their firewood source :D) and make stocks from the log trimmings. Some loggers leave the walnut stump trims in the woods or on the creek banks, etc. and yours for the asking. 
As we speak I have two walnut treess lying on my log lot that were freebies for my removal. They both were yard trees and forked a few feet above the ground. I cut them below the surface a bit using a shovel and now have two about 4' long "Y" shaped chunks of walnut that can no way for on my LT15 unless I clip the tops of the "Y" down to mill frame size. My thinking is to clip one side and leave the other natural. Top logs that would become firewood in other species, I saw into cants trying to keep the pith centered. They make table and bench legs.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Sedgehammer

@kantuckid Yes, wood can be just as accurate. Especially in competition shooting, as weather is less of a factor. In the hunting realm, it can be 30° and rainy to 55° and sunny same day. Wood moves. If bedded wood stock, that improves it immensely.

kantuckid

One of my favorite pastimes was coyotes & rabbits in below zero weather. 
BTW, we did not get to choose the weather at a match. But true that it went indoors into winter months. ;D maybe a sport for wusses?  ;D 

stavebuyer

As per usual I find myself in the minority. You can post all the spreadsheets you want that show how superior composite stocks are to walnut. I don't own a composite and never will.

I am no longer the marksman I used to be; but many a groundhog met his demise at 300+ yards when I had teen aged eyes and lived to shoot.

If you can't hit a deer in the vitals using a wooden stocked rifle within ethical distance limits then you need some range time.

!000 yard sniper tool yes otherwise just a way to cheapen the production cost while the marketing department sells you on the principle.

Southside

Sedge - you hunting white tails or pastured cows in that picture?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

my styer 270 is a consistent shooter, but the composite stock had issues in the area of the rotary clip.  got hard to remove the clip,  had it redone.  I like the look of wood, but I find, I hesitate to go where I need to go sometimes if hunting.  My Dad's (mine now) M 1 Garand has a great walnut stock, so if I let someone else shoot it, I am always watching to see if they are propping it on something.  trying to keep the wood pristine
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

I have a nice older Savage 99 with a walnut stock but growing up never dared to take it deer hunting as it was all woods and brush hunting so the odds of scarring it up were too high.  Awesome brush gun, light, short, and fast, but pretty.   Had one of those padded wraps for it at one point but that would hold moisture so never really used it.  These days any of my carry or frequently used guns are synthetic solely for the utility of them.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on November 15, 2020, 10:22:31 AM
my styer 270 is a consistent shooter, but the composite stock had issues in the area of the rotary clip.  got hard to remove the clip,  had it redone.  I like the look of wood, but I find, I hesitate to go where I need to go sometimes if hunting.  My Dad's (mine now) M 1 Garand has a great walnut stock, so if I let someone else shoot it, I am always watching to see if they are propping it on something.  trying to keep the wood pristine
Rules of thumb on loaning stuff: no guns, books, cars or tools...
Truthfully I learned the hard way on all of them! One guys way to handle a stock is as an electric fence buffer while me & others cringe!

stavebuyer

When I first got out of the Army I had a job managing farm properties for an extremely wealthy couple in Charlottesville Va. Among their myriad possessions was a matched set of Purdey Shotguns .410 through 12Ga in assorted barrel lengths and chokes that were stored/displayed in special gun room. None of the guns showed any appearance of ever being handled let alone fired.

One fine fall day the "Mrs" of the estate requested I assist her and her guests to go shoot a few doves over one of the cornfields. As I drove a farm issued 4x4 truck ; the dandy folks just tossed their selected loaner Purdeys in the bed of the truck like I might have a garden hoe. 

As an aside after the divorce... the "Mrs" got and then lost the farm which is now owned by no other than DJT.

doc henderson

When i was a kid, my brothers, my dad, my uncle and cousins went coon hunting with Uncle Duck's coon dogs.  only the grown up had guns, and the goal was to work the dogs, not to just get coons.  My dad was carrying a "Kodiak"  22 mag rifle.  this is the one I picked out for him for Christmas when I was 4.  I did not know anything about guns of course, but I think it was one of those magical memories as a child.  My mom took me to Everett's hardware store.  he fixed bikes and had parts to fix lots of other stuff, instead of just buying new one.  1964.  My mom took me in, it had a great smell, and the floor looked like they spent 100 years being finished with foot traffic and motor oil.  Mr. Everett was about 6 foot 4 and 400 pounds, slicked back hair and tiny glasses.  I think my dad had already picked out what he wanted, and my mom was in on it, as well as Mr. Everette.  So a coon is in the end of a irrigation pipe, and my uncle does not want to kill it, but get it out where the dogs could work it.  at a stand still, my dad holds two dogs on a lease in his left hand, and his prized rifle in the other.  My uncle shoots at the pipe to get the coon in the open and the ricochet comes back and hits the stock of my dad's rifle just below his grip, and blocked entry into his right groin area.  My dad then shot the coon and the hunt was over.  I need to refinish the stock.  my dad did it once after the incident, but it time again.  i will make sure the repair remains visible in that area.  the gun is now 56 years old.  lessons.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

I'm partial to nicely finished wooden stocks and grips on firearms.  But put me in the utilitarian category for my deer rifle, it has a composite stock.  I hunt in some relatively rough conditions which make for scuffs and scratches. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

Quote from: doc henderson on November 15, 2020, 12:01:40 PM
When i was a kid, my brothers, my dad, my uncle and cousins went coon hunting with Uncle Duck's coon dogs.  only the grown up had guns, and the goal was to work the dogs, not to just get coons.  My dad was carrying a "Kodiak"  22 mag rifle.  this is the one I picked out for him for Christmas when I was 4.  I did not know anything about guns of course, but I think it was one of those magical memories as a child.  My mom took me to Everett's hardware store.  he fixed bikes and had parts to fix lots of other stuff, instead of just buying new one.  1964.  My mom took me in, it had a great smell, and the floor looked like then spent 100 years being finished with foot traffic and motor oil.  Mr. Everett was about 6 foot 4 and 400 pounds, slicked back hair and tiny glasses.  I think my dad had already picked out what he wanted, and my mom was in on it, as well as Mr. Everette.  So a coon is in the end of a irrigation pipe, and my uncle does not want to kill it, but get it out where the dogs could work it.  at a stand still, my dad holds two dogs on a lease in his left hand, and his prized rifle in the other.  My uncle shoots at the pipe to get the coon in the open and the ricochet comes back and hits the stock of my dad's rifle just below his grip, and blocked entry into his right groin area.  My dad then shot the coon and the hunt was over.  I need to refinish the stock.  my dad did it once after the incident, but it time again.  i will make sure the repair remains visible in that area.  the gun is now 56 years old.  lessons.
I imagine that got everybodys attention! :o I was shooting a .177 pellet rifle with a young friend, one shot ricoched back near us. It was a good lesson for him.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

time for a re do, not sure I can see the repair my dad did,  22 mag.  some hand oil grime on the surface.  I will find it when I sand it down.

Walnut Beast

Very nice and a very interesting story 👍

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Southside on November 15, 2020, 10:18:25 AM
Sedge - you hunting white tails or pastured cows in that picture?  :D
Well, no hunting there, yet. Deer do eat in our rye grass seeded pasture all the time, so if i don't get a nice one out at the lease, it'll be here.

Just sighting it in. Took 5 rounds. New gun and scope. I may shoot a few rounds yet this week to get even closer. Took 46 rounds for my wife's and sister in law's .243's to get sighted in. Their guns are also new. Youth size Moosberg and a Remmington 783.

I'll never buy a wood stocked gun to hunt with. Not only because I don't want to ruin the stock, wood moves in moisture/temp changes. Not going to ruin a long expensive (at times) shot over something so simple.

barbender

I know it does happen, but I've never had one of my wood stocked rifles shift its POI, in widely varying conditions.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on November 16, 2020, 01:17:33 AM
I know it does happen, but I've never had one of my wood stocked rifles shift its POI, in widely varying conditions.
The bedding and barrels are going to be the biggest factors in accuracy. Synthetic stocks are fine but wood is natural, beautiful and the king of stocks... 

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 16, 2020, 02:27:16 AM
Quote from: barbender on November 16, 2020, 01:17:33 AM
The bedding and barrels are going to be the biggest factors in accuracy. Synthetic stocks are fine but wood is natural, beautiful and the king of stocks...
That be very correct. If bedded, wood will be fine.
I agree for looks, but for in the field, I'll disagree. Not because wood isn't as accurate. My 3 best shots as a civilian are all wood stocked, but I don't need to worry a plug nickle how I abuse the synthetics. 

Walnut Beast

Well everybody is different. If you were to look at my stuff I take hunting it looks brand new or close to it. I don't need to drag my bow or gun through the woods or use it to crawl up a creek bank 😂.  Some do and that's there choice 

Sedgehammer

Sure, your right. Mine are tools. I care for them, but I don't worry about scratches and related. Going through brambles, gun leads. 

WV Sawmiller

I love the look of a beautiful gun - stock and engraving and such but in all honesty I would be happy with synthetic stocks on mine. I figure they are there to use and functionality/utility trumps cosmetics. Same with trucks - I think the military has it right with flat paint and such you don't mind driving into the woods and such where you want to go. I always hated getting a new truck that I was reluctant to drive through mudholes and brushy back roads to my secret hunting and fishing spot.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tacotodd

Speaking of brand-new truck, I remember Dad telling me about the time that he bought his only new truck. "Boy, your momma didn't like this, but the first thing I did when I got it home was take it and scared it up in a big ole brush pile, then I'd never be worried about scratching it up again". That was in 1984. Keep in mind, I was born in 1971, and I will ALWAYS remember what he said about that! The only vehicle I've ever bought new, I stuck in a creek a year after buying and was still making payments on, 1999 Tacoma (hence username). 300k miles later and still have, probably will until I quit using O2.🤣 You just gotta love that kind of reliability. Wait, I got side-tracked from what we were talking about about.

I apologize for the derailment.😱
Trying harder everyday.

Autocar

I have a number of stocks i have done over the years . One is Kentucky Coffee bean on a 30/06 a Mullberry on a 30/06 another coffee bearn on a 338 and I have a walnut alot of figure that will be a full stock out to the end off the barrel in 375 H and H . For me if its not wood its not a hunting rifle. I have hunted in wet conditions in B.C. Alberta Northwest Territory Newfoundland and never had any problems with wood swelling.  Just my two cents  ;D.
Bill

stavebuyer

My favorite daily carry piece. Came with black composite. I much prefer the walnut not just for looks; they are also thinner and slip through over-clothes easier.

This was a Christmas gift from a mill I obviously have a very close relationship with. Somehow composite just wouldn't be quite the same. The flip side and butt stocks are all personalized.  Best gift ever!

This little 357 lever gun is one for one in the deer department. Composite wouldn't add much to its charm either.

Walnut Beast

I love it stavebuyer! Awesome  pictures and your thoughts 👍

stavebuyer

And I am not ready for the day until I slip this little Case Stockman with Bone "stocks" into my pants pocket.

One of life's most affordable and useful luxuries.

Walnut Beast

barbender

A guns "feel" means a lot to me. Most synthetic stocks don't have it, plus a lot of the cheap ones are hollow and I can't stand the sound when things touch them. I bought my wife and I both Remington Mountain Rifles years back. Her's is a stainless with a laminated stock in .260 Rem, mine is blued with a walnut stock in  .280. I wanted the stainless as well but I I wanted a detachable magazine and the blues walnut was the only configuration it was available in. That rifle and I have put some miles on, I try to be careful and treat it nice but I started to figure out that on good hunts, we both come in a little beat up😁 When you're belly crawling across rocks and prickly pear cactus for a hundred yards or more, you don't care as much about the rifle😊 Honestly, if I had a really fine shooting piece, I probably wouldn't hunt with it, or at least not on the more rugged hunts. All of that said, I do have a Howa rifle in 223 that has a Hogue oversold stock. That's a decent stock, and it wouldn't bother me to see it sliding down a mountain quite so much as happened to the 280😂 I may get one in one of the new PRC calibers just to try out. 

Texas Ranger

I rode the butt stock of Savage 99 down a talus slope one year, redesigned it significantly.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tule peak timber

A pallet full of figured English Walnut stocks. I have no idea what they look like,,,but I own them :D

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

kantuckid

When I've hunted the most was back when composite stocks were not out yet. I managed to keep my firearms from becoming a mess by carefulness, and same for my "fancy truck" it doesn't get abused like some I've owned that went in the woods a lot. I rebuilt a wrecked Jeep J10 PU to work for the entire time I was making double payments on our land and home construction loan, ~9 years to pay it off. It was a true POS truck in so many ways I cannot count. I'd rebuilt the cab but traded the regular/rusty bed for a small utility flatbed that I made oak slat sides for. It was a work truck to my school job and went into the woods to pull fire wood,etc.. I'd toss a piece of firewood at it from as far as I could throw it, sometimes I'd miss :D
Misjudged a small tree one time and it found its way to the door of that truck. 
My rifles and shotguns get more love than that J10, and are not used to crawl through crap on my belly nor push down barbed wire fences, etc.. 
I had a neighbor near Valencia, KS where I lived for years who farmed FT and kept either rifle or Model 12 on whichever tractor he was on in fall/winter seasons. Coyotes or a rabbit or squirrel for the pot. They had the blue rubbed off to a silver sheen and buggered up a lot but 100% functional and lubed & cleaned. I get that type of use but not my use. My stocks I've made are all beautiful, some of my others are, some not. If I "had" a rifle that didn't shoot well enough to hit whatever it's purpose was in life, I'd sell it. A deer is not typically a challenging target size wise other than at extreme distances which is not here in the eastern forests. 
I've always enjoyed squirrel hunting with a .22 as it does use marksmanship & patience and hunting skills. I miss dearly miss KS quail, prairie chicken and pheasant hunting, but most of all I miss the squirrels under those huge, towering cottonwood trees across the river from Rossville, KS. Even the local game wardens used their vacations to hunt & trap beaver- where I hunted there, which is instructive in itself. All with nice walnut stocks.
My fancy maple stocked Springfield 30-.06 based.22 rifle almost shoots well enough for competition. Hole in a hole accuracy at 50 yards. I have a Winchester 69A .22 that does almost as well but lacks the trigger job on my .06- .22 and as did the guns of the past has that occasional gem of a piece of walnut that found it's way into a hardware store back when. It's been laying on an old towel on my tablesaw to shoot snapping turtles in the pond outside so as to not bing the stock.  

Texas Ranger

Kantuckid, my rifle growing up, still have, is a 69a, as you say accurate and would do better with a trigger job.  But, rabbits, squirrels and turtles were well taken care of for decades, have not shot it much lately, no opportunity, but lots of memories.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

Here's my beauty 7mm S.A.U.M. It's a distance shooter but you wouldn't want to carry it long as it's heavy.
Ported, bedded, Presentation blueing and fluted with a 2 lb trigger pull.
No idea what the wood is.
Bought it from a competition distance shooter that was hurting for $$. He had it built by a local gunsmith who has since passed.
Don't mind the cat food. Times are tough... :D

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Walnut Beast

sawguy21

Certainly colorful, I have not seen anything like that. I found a Cooey single shot .22 at an old home my parents bought, it was in rough shape. The stock had been broken at the grip and wired up. My uncle cleaned it up and made a beautiful stock from Japanese cherry, it was a work of art and I loved it. Many a gopher met his Maker but mom found out and made me get rid of it.

doc henderson

I have a laminated stock on a ruger 22lr with a bull barrel, but the same color.  i think that is all the same wood species but aniline dye colored.  very stable.  basically a pretty high grade "plywood".  no offence, and only the positive attributes intended.  :)

tule peak timber

I bought the pallet of walnut stock blanks from a guy going out of business earlier this year. I have no idea (furniture legs???) what to do with them ---so ideas are welcome.

doc henderson

i know you do not really do retail.  have someone do face book marketplace or check out local gun smiths.  what is a walnut gunstock blank worth.

Raider Bill

Quote from: doc henderson on November 24, 2020, 02:22:28 PM
I have a laminated stock on a ruger 22lr with a bull barrel, but the same color.  i think that is all the same wood species but aniline dye colored.  very stable.  basically a pretty high grade "plywood".  no offence, and only the positive attributes intended.  :)
That's ok by me. Guns beautiful, gunsmithing is top shelf and it is a long distance coyote killer.
Guy had several real nice rifles for sale. Springfield Armory M1-A1 with factory Springfield scope, national match barrel and trigger. He also had a M-1 Garand converted to 7.62X51 [.308] by Scott Duff.
It was a nice day for both of us.

Walnut Beast

Nothing wrong with laminated stocks. They are excellent and beautiful 

kantuckid

I guess the old Missouri stock makers like Bishops, etc., are long gone but MO still has American Walnut Company and some other makers. 
The rifle appeals to me the dyed stock does not. 
I've had a Ruger 77/.22 on my want one but don'treally ne list for a long time. My 1st choice is the French walnut version with no sights which would be tinkered into a shooter as my project.Model 11165

Raider Bill

Not that I don't have other things to keep me up at night but last night I was wondering how they get the different colors in a stock like mine?

Are the different layers colored before laminating then sanding down to the different colors or is there some way to color just certain parts like the blue on the stock?

doc henderson

yes I believe they have 1/4 inch or so pieces, that they stain/dye different colors then they glue up a block, then cut and machine the stock.  very stable engineered stock as the tension a whole piece might have is cut through, and when re-glued, will offset the others, and the glue will make a rigid piece.  that is what was trying to say before.  very beautiful piece, although not natural, and very stable, maybe a compromise between solid wood and synthetic.  I would call it an engineered product that, like many beams and such, have benefits over a solid piece. :)  

tule peak timber

Quote from: kantuckid on November 25, 2020, 08:35:05 AM
I guess the old Missouri stock makers like Bishops, etc., are long gone but MO still has American Walnut Company and some other makers.
The rifle appeals to me the dyed stock does not.
I've had a Ruger 77/.22 on my want one but don'treally ne list for a long time. My 1st choice is the French walnut version with no sights which would be tinkered into a shooter as my project.Model 11165
In California the big player is Calico , to the North of me. Their big seller is French, which is really English,,,,,which is actually Persian. Go figure. The blanks I have are all English,or French, but actually Persian. ::)WOC

kantuckid

I bought a few rifles from a man I once knew in KS, named J. B. Hart (he managed the Topeka city bus operation) when he was in his nineties and had one son, not a shooter so he was divesting himself of firearm related possessions from his lifetime as a shooter hunter. One rifle I bought and later sold (stupidly at that!!!) was a Mashburn .270 Supermag with a French walnut stock. In ~ the 1950's Mashburn rifles were quite a thing and I recall several calibers built off the necked 300 belted cases.
In todays world i suppose they are worth their weight in gold. It had very nice wood indeed as they were one off built rifles.  
Is "Claro" walnut the same species? 

Walnut Beast

Interesting story I didn't know. A company in Warsaw MO. Called Reinhart Fajen that was pretty famous for there Walnut Gunstocks was bought by Larry Potter that owns Midway USA. At a trade show back around 1995 Marty Reinhart told  Larry he should buy him out. He did along with Bishops right down the road. Reinhart employed around 80 people. Larry knew he needed to do some upgrades with very expensive 3 and 4 axis CNC machines. They did. They did contracts with Winchester and other big gun manufacturers but there just wasn't enough demand so not long after Larry said they closed everything down and auctioned everything off. I had a catalog (still might) it had pictures of all different Gunstocks from the crotch, stump and many different figures from different areas and grades

Walnut Beast

tule peak timber

Quote from: kantuckid on November 25, 2020, 12:27:11 PM
I bought a few rifles from a man I once knew in KS, named J. B. Hart (he managed the Topeka city bus operation) when he was in his nineties and had one son, not a shooter so he was divesting himself of firearm related possessions from his lifetime as a shooter hunter. One rifle I bought and later sold (stupidly at that!!!) was a Mashburn .270 Supermag with a French walnut stock. In ~ the 1950's Mashburn rifles were quite a thing and I recall several calibers built off the necked 300 belted cases.
In todays world i suppose they are worth their weight in gold. It had very nice wood indeed as they were one off built rifles.  
Is "Claro" walnut the same species?
No, Claro walnut is Juglans Hindsii. Claro is native to out west(mostly Oregon and California). Very different from Eastern "Black Walnut "
  The English( French, White ) out west here are grafted types that bear better commercially viable nuts on top of the native rootstock. Some of the "English" varietals are more or less "antiques" and not planted (grafted) anymore- like Franquette  and more valuable for stocks and furniture. Here is a truck load of 65 year old Franquette and below a load of Claro.  WOC

doc henderson

fantastic stuff oh WOC!  took me a minute!   :D :D :D

Walnut Beast

Turkish walnut 😂. Appropriate to talk about around Turkey 🦃 Day. Some of the things that make Turkish walnut prized for Gunstocks is the climate that they grow, the turning characteristics and tight pores they have. Trees that are harvested are over 300 years old

Larry

WB, beautiful wood and great work on that gun!

I was born and raised in Kansas City.  Dad was a part time gunsmith specializing in long range accurate rifles.  I can remember trips to Warsaw to pick out stocks both at Bishops and R.F.  The wonderful smells and the great selection of stocks was really interesting to me as a young boy.  I still have some of the catalogs tucked away someplace.

In later life I bought a farm just south of St. Joseph Mo.  That is home to what is known today as American Walnut.  They have went through several re-organizations over the years.  At one time they were producing most of the stocks for Remington.  They also sliced veneer.  A large business with a huge kiln capacity.  Although big, they did business with us little guys and treated us right.  I sold them lots of walnut flooring cants that they turned into flooring for the European market.

A few miles south east is another walnut mill called One Family Hardwoods.  Another mill that went though re-organizations.  I remember them dipping the ends of walnut stocks into a barrel of paraffin heated over an open fire.  Not for sure where they sent there stocks but they cranked out a lot at times.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

I found a picture of one rifle my Dad made I suppose 50-60 years ago.  270 which was the cartridge of the time I suppose.  Scope has external adjustments.  Double set trigger.  Gun still holds moa (barely) and way to heavy for me to carry anyplace. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Very interesting Larry. Thanks for sharing that story 

sawguy21

I have not seen anything like that. What is the purpose of the double trigger (I'm not a gun guy).

Tacotodd

@sawguy21 , here goes.

double "set" trigger became popular in the old (1600ish) muzzleloader days. One (heavy pull weight) is normal carry because you you didn't exactly have a modern, as we now know it safety. The firearms would still function. When you had the time to make your shot count such as a little farther away target, you pressed one trigger and in turn it made the other trigger lighter. That process works to make your final pull on your trigger a "hair" trigger.

I hope I've answered your question.  :P
Trying harder everyday.

petefrom bearswamp

My only figured stock is on my Ithaca 37 16 ga, sorry no pic
Regarding the preference issue, my pre 64 model 70 carbine is walnut badly beat up as I have tripped and fallen several times, the last one being 3 weeks ago and required a half hour at the bench.
My Benelli R1  is composite
I have used both but the 70 much more.
The Benelli is as homely as sin but shoots pretty good fro a semi auto.
the 70 dropped a small doe yesterday,
I agree with a former post that placement is paramount when hunting game and imo moa is not required as my shooting at game seldom exceeds 100 yards.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sawguy21

Walnut Beast

On some guns they will have two different caliber barrels paired together. Example a shotgun/rifle combo with two triggers 

barbender

Most stuff I shoot in MN a 6 moa rifle would be completely sufficient. Probably overkill😂 I don't know if I've ever shot a deer over 50 yards away in MN. Then I go out West and all of the sudden people are pointing and telling you to shoot stuff that it 400 yards away...marksmanship and understanding your rifle definitely comes into play!

SawyerTed

It's very much that way in this region of NC, 50-80 yards is typical for harvesting a deer here.   Down east there are places 200-250 yards or more is feasible.  Mostly I shoot a .270 or 30-30 sighted in at 100 yards.

When hunting where I need longer shots a shoot a .308 sighted for those conditions.

The photo is of my Henry 30-30.  Not a greatly figured stock but a sweet rifle!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Very nice! I think it looks absolutely beautiful 👍

Thank You Sponsors!