iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amazing butternut on walnut graft wood

Started by low_48, January 15, 2015, 12:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

My good friend, James Pearce, found this amazing grafted stock at a mill near Galesburg, IL a few years ago. Butternut on walnut root stock. I just thought about sharing it tonight. He build this oversize barrister case for a client who wanted a special cabinet for her Native American blanket collection. He gave me a cutoff piece about 4' long for my collection, just saw the board again the other day and thought I should share. He just did a masterful job with this piece!

Lud

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jemclimber

lt15

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

bedway

That is some work of art, both by the craftsman and the creator :)

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Left Coast Chris

Interesting butternut was grafted to black walnut.   You have to wonder if it might be English walnut on black walnut.   My English walnut wood can look similar to the butternut when finished.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

starbits

tule peak timber

A beautiful piece of work to say the least.... 8) 8) 8) 8) Like left Coast , I cut a lot of grafted walnut and try to put it to work in the design of millwork and furniture. Yahoo!!!!!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Thanks for sharing a picture of something that can not be described.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lowpolyjoe

Peter Drouin

I bet you can get more a BF than apple wood :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 17, 2015, 08:05:09 PM
I bet you can get more a BF than apple wood :D :D :D :D

You killing me Peter!  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

That piece is probably sold by the carat. Outstanding. I have seen butternut than color, almost olive brown. A lot of it has some pinkish hues as well, chestnut brown mostly.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Swatson

Wow.  That is beautiful.  Ive never heard of walnut trees being grafted.  Learn new stuff every day!
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

tule peak timber

Grafted walnut. This is a very old tree and part of an orchard  I have coming in  next week.  Rob

Swatson

That is pretty neat.  We dont have nut farms down here that I am aware of.  My parents have an old apple orchard that has grafted trees.  Jonathan roots and red and yellow delicious grafts.  Some of the trees that get damaged will regrow and produce only jonathan apples.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

tule peak timber

The better grafted wood out here has lots of competitive buyers.... Rob

Thank You Sponsors!