iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heating

Started by ccoxva, September 04, 2009, 04:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccoxva

Hello guys been a while but I removed the spark arestor from my 310 and it getting a little to hot I think. Thats the only mod i've done and it dont seem to me like that would make this much diff??? What do you guys think?? Thanks

beenthere

Don't quite follow.
You think the saw is overheating?  and it might be due to removing the spark arrestor?

What are the symptoms of the saw over heating?

What is the history of the saw? time you have used it,  etc?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Could removing the spark arrestor be causing it to run too lean?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

wi woodcutter

Quote from: John Mc on September 04, 2009, 09:52:54 PM
Could removing the spark arrestor be causing it to run too lean?

That is what I was thinking. If you took that out it would make the muffler flow differently, and then the saw would run different. I would look at that before the saw leans out and burns up.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

ccoxva

The saw has only been used about 40 hours since new.I think it is leaning out I just didnt know what to fatten up on the card high or low??? I think its getting quit a bit hotter that it did just judging off the heat from the case!! Even the handle is getting hot....

GASoline71

Don't use it again, until you get it sorted out.  I would chance to say there is already possible damage done.  Pull the muffler off the saw and check the piston and rings for scoring/scratches.

It's runnin' really lean is what it sounds like to me.  Removing a muffler screen should not make the saw run that much leaner if at all.  Unless it was clogged.  Where I cut I have to use spark screens... and in the 30+ years I have been ruunnin' saws, I have only seen one clogged spark screen.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Al_Smith

It kind of depends on the saw as to how much they clog .Those which used an impulse oiler seemed to be to most prone to it .

That said though a leaner runner will get hot ,not good .

John Mc

When I switched from a catalytic to a non-catalytic muffler, I had to richen up the high speed mix. I assume this was because the non-catalytic muffler was so much less restrictive.

Just looking at the muffler screen, I figured you'd get the same thing from removing that - eyeballing it, it looks as though you'd almost double the effective size of the opening by removing the screen. Am I off base here?

I'm not saying that's the only problem the OP may be experiencing, but it seems to me it could be part of it.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ccoxva

I always run 93 octane so the screen looked like it had never been used except for a little rust. But I just dont think removal would make this much mixture(air/fuel) difference.

ladylake

It was likely lean from the start, if it really screams when held wide open turn the high out untill it slow down some or blubbers a little. Then cut with it if the blubber doesn't clear up soon as you start cutting then turn the high back in untill it does, around 1/8 turn at a time.  Does your gas have ethonal?  That makes them run leaner.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

GASoline71

I would still pull the muffler off to check the piston and rings... 15 minute job... :)

Gary

Al_Smith

Well yea 15 minutes for some,45 minutes for me . 42 minutes to find the tools and 3 minutes to pull the muffler  :D

GASoline71

Beer... don't forget beer Al... at least a sixer... so now we're into it for an hour and a half...  :D :D

Gary

ccoxva

I dont think iv ran it long enough to hurt anything but knowing how my luck goes???? I think it was lean from the start it would really scream!! Should that help the power much riching the high side?? I second tha beer motion!!!

ladylake

If it's really lean more fuel will help a lot, if borderline lean more fuel might not make a lot more peak hp but will give you a wider powerband that's more forgiving if everthing isn't  perfect.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

GASoline71

You would be suprised at how quick damage can be done to a saw runnin' really lean.

Gary

olyman

Quote from: GASoline71 on September 10, 2009, 07:50:18 PM
You would be suprised at how quick damage can be done to a saw runnin' really lean.

Gary
yup. cars can stand it a lot longer, only because they are four cycle, which always has some oil film on  the cyl walls. 2 cycle, even with the oil, can really cook quick. especially because of the rpms!!!!

ladylake

Quote from: GASoline71 on September 10, 2009, 07:50:18 PM

Gary

Thats right, one cut in a large log will melt them down.     Steve

sefh

It sounds like you might want to put it back to normal, adjust your carb (richen it a little) and see what happens. You might have been lean from the start.
Stihl 056 27"
Stihl 290 20"
Stihl 026 20"

ccoxva

Good news. Been cuttin alot of wood here lately. Richened the high end cooled er off alot and actually added power!!! 8)  ooo and piston looks good.. Thanks guys for all the comments!

ladylake

Good thing you caught it before it melted down, and yes more fuel makes more power and a wider powerband unless you get way rich.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!