iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bizzare Foods

Started by Norm, April 23, 2008, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I am truly shocked no one has mentioned Grits yet...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Paschale

Quote from: crtreedude on April 25, 2008, 08:17:04 PM

Well, the subject was bizarre foods.  In order to be discussed in the thread, wouldn't it have to be edible? 

;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

Quote from: Paschale on April 25, 2008, 09:26:56 PM

Well, the subject was bizarre foods.  In order to be discussed in the thread, wouldn't it have to be edible? 

;D

Ah, you are correct sir, I stand corrected...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Bro. Noble

Two foods that I really liked were my grandma's cottage cheese and my Aunt Veta's sour pickles.  I liked them best when Mom smelled them and said "I think we'd better throw these out"  ;D

I like food you can taste ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WDH

Quote from: Paschale on April 25, 2008, 09:26:56 PM

;D

Such a low blow, way below the belt :) ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Quote from: Patty on April 25, 2008, 05:02:40 PM

Frog legs come to mind on bizarre foods. Norm & his brother got a bunch one day hunting bullfrogs, brought them home and cooked them right up. I just could not bring myself to put one in my mouth.  :-X
To a hillbilly, frog legs are not considered bizzare at all.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

limbrat

They can seem bizzare if you dont pull the nerve when cleaning them then put them straight in the grease and they start hopping. But still all the food so far has been fresh aint none of it shot full of mold. The ideal of eating something moldy like blue cheese just dont sit good with me.
ben

zopi

Quote from: scgargoyle on April 25, 2008, 03:31:10 PM
I musta missed the part about knocking the bugs and dirt off. Ya gotta have protein and minerals, ya know. What about fiddleheads? I almost grabbed me a bunch of 'em in SC, but I figured the folks in the park might get mad....

Fiddleheads R good...sautee them in butter with a little lemon verbena..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 25, 2008, 07:07:05 PM

UUmmmmmmmmmmmm  Oysters on the ½ shell, with a touch of Lusiana Hot Sauce.
Slurp, slurp. Gusta Mucho.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

nope..Crystal hot sauce is the bomb on seafood...Louisiana, and Tabasco are foreggs and chicken...

Tejas Pedro is for Gizzards and Wings..

And Dave's insanity sauce is for bringing down that sucker that claims it can't be too hot...lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

y'know, as southern as i am..I hate grits..and iced tea..

Hominy on the other hand...Take a pork butt and sear it in the grill, then drop it in the pressure cooker with a couple chopped onions, and cook as for making stew...whilst that is cooking,  take a little butter and start it in the skillet...melt and boil the water out, then add roughly a tablespoon of either all purpose flour or bread flour ( I prefer bread flour.more gluten, makes a better texture stew) cook this over low heat stirring constantly with a whisk..until it is a light dirty blond color, set the roux aside to cool while the
stew finishes in the cooker..once that is done, let the cooker pressure down, set it in the sink and run a little cool water over the top, it will pressure down a bit quicker..pick the meat out and strain the garbage out of the broth and run the broth back into the pot, you might need to add a little water to it, but you can do that after thickening...bring the stock back to a slow boil, and add the roux a little at a time, thicken as much as you want, but again, think beef stew...now start adding chile powder, to taste, but it's best with just a little heat, so as to avoid masking the pork flavor...season further with garlic, cumin and maybe a little cayenne...pick the meat apart and remove the fat, as for pulled bbq and add back to the stew,
let this cook at a light simmer, and add a couple cans of  rinsed  white hominy, and maybe a little tin of green chile. add water as needed to maintain the consistency, and you may have to add a bit more chile powder as the flavors meld...the dish is called posole, traditional mexican stew...yer s'posed to use dried white corn, but it has to soak for three days, then you have to scrub the bloody husks off....umm...nahh.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WildDog

Bush oysters    =   crumbed and fried calf testicles. ;D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Modat22

Did you know that grits are a great rust remover whe used in a walnut shell blaster.
remember man that thy are dust.

Dave Shepard

Talked to one of the drivers at my last job yesterday. He spent the winter in the Philipines. He said it was like living in the Bizarre food show all winter. He said the further from the city you got, the poorer things were and the more varied your lunch selections became.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!