iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hoping to soon be buying an old Timberjack skidder

Started by mf40diesel, July 13, 2016, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

Quote from: Corley5 on July 17, 2016, 07:58:38 AM
My 3-53 uses enough oil that only filter changes are required  ;) :D ;D :)
that there is funny  :D :D :D and true in most cases  8) 8) 8) 8)

mf40diesel

Thanks for getting back to me.  The 225 listed for 12.5, is a 1966... according to the owner.  The other one I believe is a 1970.  Now of course I will know nothing until I can go look at them, and hopefully they are both still around when I get home in a couple weeks.  With all of that said,  I tend to spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff when I am at work.

The guy with the 1970, has had it listed on craigslist, and Kijiji for quite sometime.  Claims that a lot of things have been done, and has back up for the head rebuild. 
He did the engine rebuild himself.  Fair enough,  I have rebuilt engines myself too, and clearly didn't have the same receipts to back up stuff. While he is probably on this site lurking, he seems a bit eager to sell and asked me last night to make an offer for when I get home (contingent on me seeing it) , but he was starting to consider parting it out.  To me, if all of the things were done to it that he says, why would you even consider parting a machine out unless it were actually junk?  Or was that just a strategy? If it could be had for $8000 that has be pretty darn good even if it does need a lot, no? (including tires)

Then again, the 225 for 12.5, has been stored in a barn when not in use for the last 23 years.  And hasn't been used professionally in that entire time. Plus that one has tires that would be usable for many years for me.  Seems like that could be the real diamond here.  What do you guys think?
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

road_monkey

if he would part out a working machine, that would send up red flags for me.    for what its worth, I paid 12K for mine.(pics in your other thread) I bought it from my neighbor across the road. has 4 matching firestones @ 80%, nearly new ice chains, reman 353 with less than 500 hrs. it had 3 leaking wheel seals when I bought it, I ended up doing all new brgs and seals. I have a few more seals that should be changed, but it's pretty dry for a 51 year old machine.

Dave Shepard

My comment was regarding viscosity. I asked my oil distributor for single weight oils, and they said they didn't recommend them, and no longer carried them. This is kind of like a mix oil discussion.

As to oil change intervals, it could be argued the due to ulsd, and advanced additive packages in the oils that you could extend the hours between changes. I personally feel cheaping out on oil changes is not cost effective in the long term.

Someone once told me that if you were running a Detroit, to add oil hourly. If it wasn't running, I only had to add oil daily. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mf40diesel

I love that line Dave...  add oil hourly... daily if not running...  haha.

road_monkey,  I feel like I want the barn kept, 1966.  The guy seems pretty cool, and if he is, than I think that is the machine to have.  Now I really hope that it is still there when I get home from work.  Still have a couple weeks to go.  With all of that said,  contingent on seeing it of course, I might through the guy with the 1970 225 a number.  He claims that he is pulling 10 cord a day with it.  Might have just mentioned the "parting it out," comment to me just to get me to jump.  Then again, the machine might be completely wore out too.  For sure it will need tires much sooner than the other.

Road_monkey... of course I could do a little searching to figure this out, but are you any relation to Barge_monkey?  Also from upstate NY and into logging?
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

danbuendgen

I think he could make a lot more parting it out. If he had the time. Lots of perfectly good skidders get parted out for more money then could be otherwise. A good used 3-53 could go for 4k-6k alone. Axles, transfer case, transmission, winch  1k-5k each depending on quality, wheels and tires 2k, cab 2k, ext. If he could part out everything, I bet he could get around 20k or more for it. My skidder mechanic does this kind of work when he is low on repair work. Pays him much more money to buy a cheap skidder that just needs some tlc and parts it out, rather the fixing them up and reselling. There is a huge market for used TJ parts in New England.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

mf40diesel

dadbuendgen....  I dont think I like your tone at all... lol.   We'll see what happens.  I am really hoping that the 66' is still around when I get home.  Have always wanted a timberjack.  Wish me a little luck.

lopet

I can understand that a seller will go  for all he can get, but he also knows that the buyers for 50 year old iron are getting slimmer and slimmer.    They also know if  they  can't sell it now, it will be worth less next year, especially in a depressed wood market.
A piece of iron who has made the owner several times the money what it originally was purchased for, is just not worth that kind of money to me.
You might be surprised when they accept 2/3.

The more money for the parting out thing only works when you get everything sold or/and not counting your time for tearing it apart. You may can sell a engine and some tires and a winch but be sitting on the rest for years. Just my 0.02

Good luck shopping  mf40              A jack is meant to put wood on the landing  a sled is just a toy  ;D   tool-toy tool-toy tool-toy :D

and happy B day  dan 

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

danbuendgen

Quote from: mf40diesel on July 17, 2016, 02:33:48 PM
dadbuendgen....  I dont think I like your tone at all... lol.   We'll see what happens.  I am really hoping that the 66' is still around when I get home.  Have always wanted a timberjack.  Wish me a little luck.

Sorry if I sound depressing or whatever. I bet he will sell it to you. Parting out a machine costs a lot of time. And time is money! And like lopet just said, he may sell the main parts soon, and the rest may not sell for a long time...My skidder mechanic tears down skidder and sells the parts, but he is set up for it, and loggers in my area know they can get ANYTHING from him, so he has a market for everything. This guy selling parts off a 50 year old skidder doesn't. It could be a scare tactic. Keep after him and I bet you will end up with it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

David-L

Heres a 225D 1978 with Eaton hubs and axles. The covers were like this and it was a special order. I no longer own this machine. With 16.9x30 rubber this was a good set up.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

mf40diesel

Dan... I was only kidding with the not liking your tone... if my joking sarcasm wasn't clear. 

Most of my friends at home are loggers, I go to sea for a living, log for fun.  They there would be more coming up all the time.  So if these sell, there will be others.  Not like I need to go right to work.  I have enough wood cut for next year. 

That 225d with Eatons is the dream machine there.  Again, not that I would ever wear them out hauling 25 hitches a day, but it seems that the Eatons are the rearends to have.

What I need is one that is perfect, just needs some paint... for 1/2 the price!  haha 

mf40diesel

Might be a silly question... the 225 and 230's are almost identical in size, correct?

danbuendgen

Quote from: mf40diesel on July 18, 2016, 06:12:05 PM
the 225 and 230's are almost identical in size, correct?

Yep. As far as I know the 225 has a smaller tire then a 230. Other then that, they should be the same machine....I think.

David-L

My 1978 225D was 7 1/2 feet wide with 16.9x30 rubber. Got around nice in tight spots but was a little tippy if you were on a corner with a hitch. Just had to be aware of that.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

danbuendgen

Quote from: David-L on July 18, 2016, 07:28:57 PM
My 1978 225D was 7 1/2 feet wide with 16.9x30 rubber. Got around nice in tight spots but was a little tippy if you were on a corner with a hitch. Just had to be aware of that.

This is one reason I like  240 with the 23.1-26. Very stable.
Keeping the blade low to the ground with a smaller skidder and skinny tires helps a lot, can even keep it from rolling over...

coxy

Quote from: danbuendgen on July 17, 2016, 01:50:33 PM
A good used 3-53 could go for 4k-6k alone.
how many you want for 1/2 that price  :) :) where are you guys getting these motors sounds like your getting ripped off my buddy just got a rebuilt 353 for 4600

Neilo

225 vs 230 of same age, different  rockwell axle casings. 230d came standard with Eaton axles from late '76 when 225 only had option. Late 230d had powershift option.

Neilo

danbuendgen

Quote from: coxy on July 18, 2016, 10:10:39 PM
Quote from: danbuendgen on July 17, 2016, 01:50:33 PM
A good used 3-53 could go for 4k-6k alone.
how many you want for 1/2 that price  :) :) where are you guys getting these motors sounds like your getting ripped off my buddy just got a rebuilt 353 for 4600
If I said a Detroit could sell for 4k-6k, and you say that's a rip off, wouldn't your buddy have been ripped off paying $4600? All I know is most full rebuilds on a 4-53 go for around 6k+/- for parts and labor. I'm sure a 3-53 would be a little less. Also, 6k is a full rebuild taking no short cuts. Seems fair to me considering a new 4bta Cummins is 10k!

Ed_K

My 4-53 with no short cuts (unless you include they didn't paint it) was right at $6500. But that was in 2010-11.
Ed K

danbuendgen

Ed, just curious, but where did you have it rebuilt? I know you are in Mass, not too too far from me.

Ed_K

At Raymonds Repair on rt 10 in Bernardston, Chris's father is an old time detroit mech.
Ed K

danbuendgen

Oh, ok. I was just wondering who you go too. A lot of guys down your way come up here to Francis Brown in Marlboro for TJ parts and service. He is a old time Detroit guy also and retired logger. Too bad, most of the good mechanics are getting old with few skilled youngsters to take there place. Lucky for us, Francis's grandson is going to take over when the time comes....

petefrom bearswamp

mf40 diesel, would you consider the Garrett I have listed?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mf40diesel

While that Garrett seems to be in real good shape.. I read the whole posting you had about it.  I have been a Timberjack guy forever... even though I have never owned one.  I may be interested down the road a little bit, PM me if you get the chance.

mf40diesel

Well, thought I might give everyone an update, I ended up pulling the trigger on the 66' 225.  The guy who owned it was 83 years old and had it for 27 years.  The first night I had it, was the first night it hadn't been undercover in 23 years!  (It is now also under cover, by the time I get in unloaded it was dark and I needed to measure to make sure it fit)

Haven't been able to pull out a hitch yet as we left town for a week and now I am back to work again, so I still have to get out the pressure washer, and then check all fluids closely and grease everything good.  Tires aren't quite as good as I thought, but the detroit fires instantly, and doesn't smoke at all.  Only thing that I have identified is I believe I have to do the steering ram pins and bushes.  Seems to be a little slop, and when going fore and aft you here a bit of a clunk which I don't believe is in the driveline, although it might be.

When I get the chance I will try to figure out how to load some pics.  Totally excited to pull some wood, already have two small jobs over the winter in my off time!

Thank You Sponsors!