iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ft. Myers Florida

Started by Ljohnsaw, February 17, 2017, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Haven't been back to the Southwest coast of Florida since my wife passed away in 2010.  My son was 6 at the time and remembers this odd house we stayed in for 2 weeks on Manasota Key.  He's been wanting to go back now for the last year or so.  I just booked flights to hit Florida and then lower N.Y. for a wedding in August.  After that, I was going through VBRO looking at condos, cottages and houses to rent on Sanibel Island.  We've stayed there twice and twice on Manasota Key.  So I spot the first place we stayed on Sanibel.  Rent is going for $109 a night now for a studio made from half a cottage.  So so reviews - the place is clean but very tiny.  The place has two buildings so 4 studios of various sizes.  The most expensive was like $139.

I rented a place a few miles away that is right on the beach mid-island where the beaches are nicer.  Then I go on Expedia to rent a car.  I flip through all of them and find a pretty good deal and book it.  After I'm done, Expedia pops up and says here are some special deals on places to stay.  What do I see?  Three of the 4 studios mentioned above with a red warning on each listing - LAST ONE LEFT (duh, there is only one of each) and a "special" price of $260/night each for two of them and $300 on the third! 

If I hadn't already researched car rental prices, I would be doubting that Expedia got me a decent price on the car rental I reserved!  They have a little note - Lowest Price Guarantee! What a scam!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

florida

John,

Just noticed your post. I'm in Fort Myers and out on Sanibel several times a week. Give me a shout while you're there and I'll buy you and your son lunch.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

red

I have been to Sanibel Island many times but always stayed on the main land.  A few times we were in a motor home and towed a jeep . It was usually February after Daytona 500. Good times very relaxing.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: florida on June 13, 2017, 10:23:00 AM
John,

Just noticed your post. I'm in Fort Myers and out on Sanibel several times a week. Give me a shout while you're there and I'll buy you and your son lunch.
That'd be nice.  We are going to be there for the first 7 days of August.

My daughter (26) and her boyfriend (Sam) are coming along, too.  Both my kids get sea sick so Sam and I plan to head out for some snapper or something one morning.  So you fish?  You could join us on a party boat.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!