iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Took in another split load of bug killed ash and mixed green hardwood. 

Had a client claim he was a 1/4 of a face cord short on his ten face cord order.  Maybe he was.  He's picking this up Wednesday. I won't be there 😎🙂 It's well over a quarter cord. Not worth arguing over $21.25 worth of wood 😉🙂

Now I'm in Grand Rapids for the Michigan Farm Bureau State Annual Convention. Three days of R&R, food, visiting, trade show, discussion, and policy. Much needed break for me.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bigblockyeti

What's your GCW on that rig as pictured?

barbender

That client would probably get put on my "any more headaches and don't do business with" list. How did he accurately measure 1/4 face cord missing? I would've did the same thing, give him more and move on. But I wouldn't put up with too much of that. Not that we should be above being questioned on our measurements, just seems like that would fall within the margin of error on that amount of wood.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

It can easily happen when stacking out wood, depends on how neat a job he does. He might stack it over into another shelter and be the same over and never say a peep. Some folks will reward you with a kind word or gift for the bonus, others just want to let you know it stacked out a little short and not necessarily complainer types. Corley did right and didn't slam the guy. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

cutterboy

Quote from: beenthere on November 28, 2022, 11:54:46 AM
cutterboy
Can you correct your quote that takes up so much space? Not sure what caused that or what was intended. tks
Sorry about that crazy post that took up so much space. Thanks SD for fixing it.
I have been using computers for about 25 years but I still don't "get it"
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Corley5

The offender's family too  ;D :)  He had it tightly stacked.

barbender

Even worse!😂😂😂 Does he keep a string line and hammer handy and put it up like he's setting block?😂

Wlmedley

Got a pretty good white oak on the ground last week that had a little fire damage and was dying.Made up my mind that it was all going to be used as firewood.I try to keep two to three years ahead and white oak is my favorite firewood.Got the top cut up and going to have to figure out how to get main log out off a little gully.Butt would make a good saw log but I think firewood is more valuable to me than lumber.Hard to decide sometimes

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

trimguy

Mill it up and burn the slabs, you can always burn the boards later if you need to. No splitting required.😁

fluidpowerpro

Ever since getting a sawmill. I think its a sin to use a saw log for firewood, but that's just me.  :D
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

beenthere

I committed a lot of sin using up ash trees before the borer hit here. Great firewood. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

I've probably got about 500 board feet of 1" white oak boards stickered in a shed and the same amount of red oak.The white oak is mostly clear.I've priced white oak for $2.00 bf and red for $1.00bf.Haven't sold any.Sold quite a bit of poplar and pine for$.75 bf which I won't burn.If I can't get my price it's worth more to me for firewood.I don't advertise any but around here people mostly want sawmill lumber for barns,sheds or maybe floor or roof sheeting and poplar or pine meets their needs.Does seem a shame to burn it .Didn't think anything about it before I got a sawmill.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

taylorsmissbeehaven

I know what you been Beenthere! I am still burning some Ash I should saw. I did build some really nice shelving with one log here recently. Im hoping that will inspire me to burn slabs and keep the lumber. Not but a couple Ash trees left on our property at this point. Just a few years ago it was probably a close second to pine. Our woods have really opened up as it has died. Sad to watch!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

bigblockyeti

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on November 30, 2022, 08:56:07 PM
Ever since getting a sawmill. I think its a sin to use a saw log for firewood, but that's just me.  :D
I feel the same but my definition of a saw log has been skewed too.  Now if I see a crooked Ø6" black cherry limb that's not rotten, I can't help but wonder what's inside so it has to get milled.

Al_Smith

As far as the ash I had some dandies.90-100 feet tall and 3 feet across .I have saved the good logs and cut the rest up for firewood which as I type the stove is burning .As it turns colder that will be mixed with oak .The oak coals up better for over night fires .I might have 4-5 more years for ash firewood as I have many dead falls on approx. 7.5 acres of woods land .
I do firewood differently than most .I cut in the summer before the heat of the day in the hot sun gets to the boiling point .Maybe 2-3 hours every few days until I get enough .I'm retired and have not sold the stuff since the mid 80's .I was completely done around late September, cut stacked and tarped .Now it's just toting in enough for about a days worth that takes me about 15 minutes and loading up the trailer once every week that takes less than half an hour . 

230Dforme

Good evening Smith 
Glad to see you have it all figured out, probably long ago
We do what we do on a daily basis, and are happy

Magicman

My sawing customer this week bucks and splits the tops into firewood.  So, what is so different about that you ask?  The difference is that the excess firewood is neither used by him nor sold.  When I was setting the sawmill up he asked if I knew anyone that needed firewood.  ??

It so happens that a former co-worker of mine has a wife with progressing mental issues which prevents him from leaving home too often for very long.  I called him and he came with a neighbor and quickly got loaded up.  He is seen here bending over and the neighbor in plaid shirt.  My sawing customer in the background and the tailgunner to the left.  He went back for another load after I finished sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

I don't sell any firewood, and donate as much as I burn myself. Half a dry cord going out in the morning to a friend who now has serious medical problems and who has been a hunting and work buddy over the last 50 years. 
Good on you MM
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

711ac

Firewood is a gift that warms both parties, just a little differently. 👍

Moved the mill off to the back wall. Now my mill building is a firewood building, well at least for the winter. My firewood inventory will be used up this season and I should have next year's in those racks over the winter. Quite a luxury to be processing under roof. Right now I'm gathering logs before the woods becomes difficult with snow. 

cutterboy

Pictures from the last couple of weeks.

Large red oak rounds quartered with splitting maul and wedge so I could more easily deal with them on the wood splitter.

Hickory

Keep on splitting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

B.C.C. Lapp

Cutterboy you do some good wok. That is some clean nice looking firewood.  

It's been to wet to log here for a few days so Ive been catching up in the firewood yard. All
though that's going to mud as well.  ::)  Hoping for some cold weather to put some frost in the ground. 8)

I delivered one pick up load to a new customer and one cord to an old and valued customer today.    Sold three racks this week and have a cord to deliver Sunday.    So I'm staying busy.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

barbender

This is another case where I prefer our cold northern winters to what some of you deal with. A lot of the country spends the winter muddy and not quite frozen, and too cold to dry out. We don't have that issue😁 -30 is nothing to shake a stick at, but outside of that I'll take our nice solid frozen surfaces over mud any day.

thecfarm

I am in mud now. Just might have to cut in another spot. Water runs right through an area that I want to cut some more firewood.
But I will be cutting there for a while, and I know it will smooth back out. Won't be ruts 3 feet deep with a 40hp tractor.
We have been getting some rain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Since mud has been mentioned in this area at times it's like the swamps of Louisiana .Best to stay out of the woods at those times . I can do it with a dozer but my word does it make a mess out of things .That said if I can get the lead out I might snake a few out this winter or I might just wait again for the hot summer sun .Retired I can do as I darn well please . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!