iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbrey Sharpener/Setter

Started by Billbob, January 09, 2015, 12:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

Has anyone used the Timbrey "Sharp 'n Set"  sharpener? I just got off the phone with the distributor who is a 30 minute drive from my place.  The sharpener is a manual one, oil cooled, using a CBN wheel and the setter is dual.  Price $1295cdn, CBN wheel is $230
Timbrey is owned by Woodmizer and WM makes the sharpener/setter.  The salesman told me has sold quite a few since they came on line last fall.  I'm going to pay a visit to the place on Monday and check out the sharpener.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

hamish

That's a pretty slick looking unit!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Ga Mtn Man

I don't see any sharpeners on the Timbery website.  Can you post a link?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

addysdaddy

Not sure about the sharpener/setter but i'm looking at their shingle attachment. I have a WM LT10 and the dealer in NB says it fits the LT10. If you could check it out when you're there and let me know what you think i'd appreciate it...
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Bucksaw

Billbob

Quote from: Bucksaw on January 09, 2015, 08:08:00 PM
Is Timbery made in the U.S?
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 09, 2015, 05:41:57 PM
I don't see any sharpeners on the Timbery website.  Can you post a link?
Quote from: hamish on January 09, 2015, 01:57:07 PM
That's a pretty slick looking unit!

Here is the link to the dealer in Shediac, NB.  It's the only one I can find with the sharpener. 

http://www.easterncompactequipment.ca/blades-and-blade-maintenance/

Bucksaw, the Timbrey was originally made here in New Brunswick, Canada.  I am not sure if that is still the case.  I do know that the company was purchased by Woodmizer and the sawmill is manufactured under their name.

addysdaddy, you were probably speaking with Luc.  The dealership is Eastern Compact Equipment.  I have an appointment with Luc on Monday morning to look at the sharpener/setter.  I will definitely give you a report on what I find.

It does look slick, Hamish.  It is in the right budget for me as well. 

Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Kasba

I own a Timbery M285 and the dealer close to me is Western Sawmill in Alberta. I looked on their site and they list a dinasaw sharpener which is what I think you would be talking about.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

hamish

Slick but works out to the same cost as almost 120 bands that I don't have to sharpen................I sharpen my own already with a simple Norwood sharpener and have realized savings so long as I don't charge my time to it.

Love to get my hands on one, but the three levers have me thinking of getting the gopher at the fair.

Sharpen, set, advance the blade one tooth sharpen, advance, sharpen?????
You have to sharpen each tooth, I cant figure out the combination of levers.  I know there is a cadence for it but........sharpen set, sharpen sharpen, advance three teeth and repeat...........should have played the drums.

hamish

Quote from: Kasba on January 09, 2015, 10:40:20 PM
I own a Timbery M285 and the dealer close to me is Western Sawmill in Alberta. I looked on their site and they list a dinasaw sharpener which is what I think you would be talking about.
Oh no its not the Dinasaw, check out the link for eastern equipment, its some eye candy.

Kasba

That is a nice looking sharpener, definitely not the Dinasaw that Western sells. I built my own sharpener and setter but that looks like a nice upgrade down the road for me. Thanks for the link.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Ga Mtn Man

There's a WM video of that sharpener on youtube.  Maybe only available outside the U.S.?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Billbob

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 10, 2015, 07:56:36 AM
There's a WM video of that sharpener on youtube.  Maybe only available outside the U.S.?

Ga Mtn Man, do you have a link to the Youtube video?  I couldn't find it.

Hamish, I agree.  The three handles have me somewhat skeptical as well.  I'm not the most coordinated guy so the handles may be problematic for me.

Ga Mtn Man

Based on the techno-rock background music, I'd say it's primarily being targeted to the European market.  smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer smiley_monkeyfight

http://youtu.be/-qGqy2yrJv8

Billbob

Thanks Ga Mtn Man!  It's pretty darn close to being the same unit with a few minor alterations.

hamish

BSMT50 released on 14 Dec 2014, so big time new.  The video was great, has me thinking about Christmas next year.

Billbob

Quote from: hamish on January 10, 2015, 07:24:43 PM
BSMT50 released on 14 Dec 2014, so big time new.  The video was great, has me thinking about Christmas next year.

Any idea what the price is for the BSMT50, Hamish?

hamish

Quote from: Billbob on January 10, 2015, 07:56:34 PM
Quote from: hamish on January 10, 2015, 07:24:43 PM

Any idea what the price is for the BSMT50, Hamish?

Gonna try to call on Monday, but most likely would be the same $1295, $230 etc....that little Woodmizer sticker cant be that much more expensive to put on!

bery

I bought a Timbery M280 about 2 years ago. The Manufacture plate on the head say's it was made in Indiana. It has a 20.5 engine and use W.M. blades. I do not use it all the time but have had no problems with it. I mounted it on a trailer and added Hydro lift and log turn.

Quebecnewf

Very nice looking unit. Couple of questions as well. Is the cbn stone set for a certain type of tooth profile. I imagine it is. You then need to find a certain tooth profile blade that you like and stick to that I imagine.?
Anyone here on the forum used the unit and if so what are your thoughts and how much sharpening and sawing have you done. I am looking to replace my Dinasaw Sharpener ( starting to wear out ,rebuilt once already, good unit but time for a change) and this might be the sharpener for me. Coming down to this or a Catspaw I guess.
Quebecnewf

Billbob

Quote from: Quebecnewf on January 16, 2015, 03:28:11 AM
Very nice looking unit. Couple of questions as well. Is the cbn stone set for a certain type of tooth profile. I imagine it is. You then need to find a certain tooth profile blade that you like and stick to that I imagine.?
Anyone here on the forum used the unit and if so what are your thoughts and how much sharpening and sawing have you done. I am looking to replace my Dinasaw Sharpener ( starting to wear out ,rebuilt once already, good unit but time for a change) and this might be the sharpener for me. Coming down to this or a Catspaw I guess.
Quebecnewf

The dealer told me that the CBN stones are profiled for Wood-Mizer blades.  There is a different stone for different profiles.

barbender

The toothsetting function looks like a factory pineywoods setter ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Quebecnewf

Has any FF member put this sharpener and setter to work yet. I know the unit is new on the market but there must be some feedback by now.

It's looking more and more like I will need a new sharpener in the near future and I am looking at CBN units vs drag grinding units.

Replies please

Quebecnewf

Whitehair

Hi Bery, I'm new to the site and not as good on the computer as I am with a chainsaw, so forgive me. I'm looking to retire from law enforcement soon and getting back to my roots. (I worked with loggers and forester back when I was in college.) I'd like to get a small mill to start with and thinking about the Timbery 280. I saw you had one and like to get your I put before I put out the cash. Thanks

GAB

Quote from: Whitehair on January 30, 2016, 01:36:04 PM
Hi Bery, I'm new to the site and not as good on the computer as I am with a chainsaw, so forgive me. I'm looking to retire from law enforcement soon and getting back to my roots. (I worked with loggers and forester back when I was in college.) I'd like to get a small mill to start with and thinking about the Timbery 280. I saw you had one and like to get your I put before I put out the cash. Thanks

First off - Welcome.
Second - If you need to be forgiven, then most of us are right in there with you.  Your computer skills are probably in the 95th percentile on this site.
Third - As far as the Timbery 280 mills are concerned I know nothing and hopefully someone with knowledge of them will be along soon.
Again welcome and wishing you the very best.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!