iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back in the woods!!!

Started by Maineloggerkid, April 28, 2009, 09:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maineloggerkid

Well, tommorow I start back in the woods again. I'm so excited I probably won't sleep tonight, but I don't care. 8) 8)

After a while working in a Scott's mulch plant this winter, I have been a busy man trying to get back behind the saw. I have got 2 lots planned ahead to cut with no stumpage, all profit. One is 25 miles away, the other is 400 feet down the road. I have a log buyer that is still paying great( I did some math, and an average load of softwood will land me $800-1000). I also am working on a third lot, with a low stumpage price. It will be a clear cut for a field, and everything will be cut and sold, even brush wood.

I also have almost everything in place to do the underwater salvage logging. I have a buyer, I am doing the permit thing, and my cousin is helping me withthe actual recovery system. I have found a spot within 10 miles that used to be a mill aobut 100 years ago. Sonar scans done with state funding said there might be up to 1 million board feet sunk on that stretch of river.  ;D( I need to go check in out first hand, though).

Also, my cousin's girlfreind can get me a job with her dad working construction from time to time as I need it. You know, to fill in the gaps between lots.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Fla._Deadheader

Regards to that river, I hope the water is real clean and clear. You won't believe all the stuff that you can get tangled in, and if you run out of air, well, just keep a CLEAR head and don't panic. 

GOOD LUCK
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Maineloggerkid

Thanks, I think I will need it. I am working on a lighting system for the goggles. The river isn't very deep at all. During the normal summer height, probably 15 feet at thhe most.

Maineloggerkid

THe salvage thing is more a side project right now anyway. Actual logging is the bread winner right now. I want to get enough money to do what my freind has done. He hired a local forestor to find him lots, and man, does he get some nice wood. Hemlock and pine 3 feet on the butt, spruce and fire up to 2 feet, and usually close to home.

mike_van

Hey, if you need any tips on those sunken logs, get ahold of Jimmy from Ax-Men - He's probably got a lot of time on his hands now -  :D  Sounds like you got some good work lined up.At least it's cooling off to normal now.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

wi woodcutter

'loggerkid  I am very impressed!

You have some very good ideas.

Keep up the good work and some day it will pay off.

Is the job at Scott's going to still be there if you need it in the future?

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Maineloggerkid

Thanks for all the great response to this. The job at Scott's would probably be there, but I think I would almost rather flip patties at a Mickey D's first. Long story, alot of things went on up there that shouldn't go under the radar like they do, and There is no future there- at least not for me.

Banjo picker

My hats off to you.  Stay with what you love.  Money is nice, but when the final tally if done , it don't mean squat.   Like my buddy Chris from down under has said, If you like what you are doing , you will never work.   Or somethin like that.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Maineloggerkid

As long as I can pay the bills and eat, the rest is taken care of. MOney doesn't buy happiness- that is what freinds are for. My freinds are loggers, too. We're all in it together.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Mlk is nice to see you have a bit on and afew irons in the fire  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Its also good that you have a plan to keep things on the move if things get altttle quiet   ;)  ;D And when things get tough just remember G&d nd perserverance will get you along way in this game  ;) ;D 8) Like a mate said to me the other night You are like a dog with a bone there aint no way you'll give up  ;) :D ;D ;D

Tim the saying your thnkn about goes Find a job you love and you'll never work another day in your life  ;) so i basicly dont work  Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Mlk keep us posted on the under water salvage mate are you milling the logs yourself or just selling the logs mate  ???  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Maineloggerkid

FOr now, I am just going to sell them. i may look into the milling next summer, or maybe even later this summer.

Maineloggerkid

I also think I have found another way to make money with wood.  I might be able to buy tree length hardwood pulp and turn it into firewood, selling it for $250/cord cut split and delivered.

I am still doing research on this,  it looks like it might work because there is one other person doing something similiar, but he has to many orders to fill, which is where I come in. ;)

I know it sounds like I am going in a 100 different directions, and that is becasue I am. Alot of different things are being opened up and brought to my table, so I am investigating all of them before I dedicate to just one or two.

Meadows Miller

Gday Mlk

that should work mate as pulp prices are down allover the joint i know a couple off blokes doing the same here  ;) Like anything just do the math on it frst and if that works out give it a go  ;) ;D
Being a young bloke having a crack you will find you have plenty of stuff handballed your way from bloke wo have been around the traps for awhile and like giving a young gun a chop out with a bit off work mate ;) its happend to me more times than  can remember ;)  ;D 8)

People take notice when your a goer  ;) ;D and like ive said before to you I like your style Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)

And dont worry about looking like your going a 100 ways at once mate it happens when you have alot off options  :o :) :) :) ::)  ive had that problem for years now Mate  ;) :D :D :D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Banjo picker

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on May 10, 2009, 10:30:41 AM

I know it sounds like I am going in a 100 different directions, and that is becasue I am. Alot of different things are being opened up and brought to my table, so I am investigating all of them before I dedicate to just one or two.

Chris i was going to say,  "Sounds like somebody else I know."  but you beat me to it. ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Mr Mom

Money might not buy you happiness but it makes misrey more enjoyable.
That is what i have herd.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Maineloggerkid

Well, just got some good news today...The permits are on the way for the underwater logging. As sooon as the get fille dout and returned, I should be almost ready to start up.

I just talked to a guy from a little north of here, and he has some work for me. He wants to pay me to cut down and haul out firewood by the cord. About 25 cord for this season. Also, he wanted to know what my hourly rate for feild mowing with the tractor, and for cutting wood for other people, because he said that he talks to a lot of people that need this type of work done.

What should I charge by the cord to cut down and haul out 25 cord of firewood? Firewood is going for $200-300 cord locally.

chucker

here in northern minnesota i get 35.00 a cord. that is there wood, my saw and time for cutting it down and pulling it out with a 300 cat and cable skidding trailer depending on distance to be pulled...generaly can do 2 cords an hour or around 5 cords aday.... if its to be blocked and split then its around 75.00 per cord.
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Thank You Sponsors!