iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just getting started - first run at air drying

Started by Marshall7199, October 04, 2019, 07:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall7199

Well, after way too much standing in the shadows soaking up the plethora of knowledge from seasoned veterans skilled in their craft, I finally opened a few walnut drops and put them up for drying.  Primary purpose was experimenting and learning how to use the Wood-Mizer LT28.  After a blade change, rigging a cradle to hold the small lengths, it was all fun from there.  The larger 42" x 50"+ X 3" walnut slabs was contracted out by a guy with a chain saw mill.  They were a bit wide for the LT28.

I have a black shade cover that I put over the top and the front of the pile to keep the sun from drying the wood too fast.  Anyone see any issues this?  

I have more 20-24" diameter drops I will be learning on then tackle the larger 8-16 ft length pieces of walnut.  This Black Walnut is beautiful wood!  It is such a joy to see what is inside these logs when it looks like a pile of firewood from the outside.<b

Rookie learning from the masters.

Southside

Personally I don't like having a stack with one side against a building.  An end would not be such a big deal, but you run the risk of some of the lumber not drying as evenly.  

Nick whack of logs there.  On the one in the middle of the front row it looks like the top branch is shaped like a heart.  If that is the case I would be tempted to get cookies out of that  - have them nice and dry in time for Valentines day $$$
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mredden

doc henderson

nice job sacking, and strapping.  the red straps, are they bungies?  the nylon ratchets work better, and with one in the center and stickers on the ends, it may warp your pieces a bit.  need two straps on the ends, or stickers in the middle also IMHO.  I agree the air movement may be an issue.  I would not enjoy restacking.  could put a couple box fans behinds the stack to help move air.  need to pad the sharp corners, maybe some osb to make a flat roof. @Southside sentimental much?  smiley_heart  if covered in black tarp, could put clear over that with something to make an air gap.  @Marshall7199 welcome.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Marshall7199

Thanks for the comments.  HF has a parking lot sale with ratchet straps selling at 4 for 6.99.  I will be removing the bungi cords and adding the straps.
Also picked up a HF 3500 winch for $99.00.  Not a fan of HF but need one  for the LT28 to roll longs on to the bed.
Rookie learning from the masters.

Thank You Sponsors!