iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I have a United Health Care Medicare advantage plan paid for by my past employer.  They came up with something new called WellAtHome.  I signed up for it.  They send out a Covid-19 test kit, thermometer, and a dose of Tamiflu.  According to the instructions if I feel sick I'm supposed to call in and a Doctor will tell me if I need to take the Tamiflu or do the Covid test.  I haven't got the kit yet.

It sounds good to me.  If I get the flu I don't have to make a Doctor appointment, sit in a waiting room, or get in line at the pharmacy.  Plus it saves a couple of days time which they say really helps with Tamiflu.

So to my Doctor friends is this a valid program?  Anything that I need to be aware of?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ianab

QuoteIt sounds good to me.  If I get the flu I don't have to make a Doctor appointment, sit in a waiting room, or get in line at the pharmacy.  Plus it saves a couple of days time which they say really helps with Tamiflu.
Sounds sensible, even if the primary aim is to keep your virus ridden body out of the Dr's office.  ;)
If you roll up to the medical centre with "flu symptoms" everyone else there is at risk of catching whatever you have. And all they can really do is ask your symptoms,  take your temp, order a Covid test, and maybe give you a script for Tamiflu and paracetamol. All that can be covered with a phone call and the kit you have been sent. Unless you get so sick you need hospital level care, there isn't anything more they can do. ~90% of Covid patients seem to recover at home OK.   I assume they would also have a nurse do welfare calls each day, in case you do need more serious care. 
Instructions here in NZ if you had "flu" symptoms was to call your Dr, or the National 24 hour Health-Line for advice. They could then direct you to a drive up Covid test site if necessary, and tell you to stay isolated until the test came back. Again they didn't want you coughing in the Drs waiting room, and there wasn't much the Doc could do for you at that point anyway.  
So we had (and still have) frequent Govt ads on TV / Radio / Internet with  "What  to do if you think you have Covid or flu symptoms"   Don't go to your Dr, call them or the Health-line toll free number for advice. Although the virus is under control here at the moment, and we don't have any restrictions locally, the border quarantine hasn't been perfect and a handful of cases have sneaked in. So we keep getting reminded that the pandemic isn't actually over yet, so don't relax completely. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

samandothers

Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 25, 2020, 08:48:22 PM
My mom died Friday afternoon, not from covid. She was 80. Smoked a lot till about 8 years ago, Had a triple by-pass 7, never felt right afterwards. The funeral home is telling us the state (wi) is telling them that they can't have a funeral, as there's a local outbreak, but of course when pressed on numbers, they won't say.
Sorry to hear of your loss.  It is difficult I imagine to not be able to gather with family and grieve and comfort one another.

samandothers

Quote from: doc henderson on October 17, 2020, 07:46:35 AM
most viruses need a mucus membrane like inside your mouth or nose, or an eyeball.  Most can live  awhile on a surface.  most would be made inactive by heat or solvents like alcohol that destroy the finer structures of proteins.  so if you touch a surface, you prob. need to rub you eye, or poss. use you hands to put something in your mouth. if you swallowed all the virus it would be killed in your stomach by acid.  but if they stay on your cheek, they can be incorporated into cells and start replicating. 
So if I go to a restaurant, eat outside, wear a mask (except when taking a bite), wear gloves and safety glasses.   OH and most importantly take several shots of my favorite alcoholic beverage after dinner to cleans the palate so to speak!

Sedgehammer

Quote from: samandothers on October 26, 2020, 11:00:43 AM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 25, 2020, 08:48:22 PM
My mom died Friday afternoon, not from covid. She was 80. Smoked a lot till about 8 years ago, Had a triple by-pass 7, never felt right afterwards. The funeral home is telling us the state (wi) is telling them that they can't have a funeral, as there's a local outbreak, but of course when pressed on numbers, they won't say.
Sorry to hear of your loss.  It is difficult I imagine to not be able to gather with family and grieve and comfort one another.
Thanks, appreciate that. I'll move this to the general, don't want to derail this thread. I meant to just post about what covid was doing to families or the state i mean, but I digress. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Sedgehammer

Just checked our states stats.

924 currently hospitalized

.6% DOD

One can reasonably slow it down. One cannot reasonably stop it. 

doc henderson

I think common sense rules the day.  We expect everyone to get it, but it may take several years.  hopefully not rapidly changing/mutating (needs a new vaccine each year if so).  The goal is to protect the vulnerable.  the rest of us are almost sure to get it or a vaccine.  the goal is to not have military reservist with guns at the front of every hospital to control riots if too many people get it at once.  we are full, relative to available nursing staff ect.  some quitting or getting sick and quarantining.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

QuoteSo if I go to a restaurant, eat outside, wear a mask (except when taking a bite), wear gloves and safety glasses.  
Yes, but if you dont go to the restaurant at all, and eat at home, there is even less risk. Experience here has shown that supermarkets can operate safely with precautions. Restaurants with closer extended contacts and eating is always going to be higher risk. Dining in was allowed as restrictions eased, but numbers were limited, tables spaced out more, and you had waiting staff dedicated to only a couple of tables each, just to cut down that number of contacts.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

I agree, and to illustrate that point, half of our cases reside in a nursing home, prison, or tech. group home.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 26, 2020, 11:44:38 AMThanks, appreciate that. I'll move this to the general, don't want to derail this thread. I meant to just post about what covid was doing to families or the state i mean, but I digress. 

Sorry to hear about your Mother as well. 

Kinda relates to the other thread "Hidden Pandemic", about the mental toll the pandemic is having on folks. Things that we take for granted like weddings or funerals suddenly become hazardous to everyone's health.  Look after yourself and your close family.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Ianab on October 26, 2020, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 26, 2020, 11:44:38 AMThanks, appreciate that. I'll move this to the general, don't want to derail this thread. I meant to just post about what covid was doing to families or the state i mean, but I digress.

Sorry to hear about your Mother as well.

Kinda relates to the other thread "Hidden Pandemic", about the mental toll the pandemic is having on folks. Things that we take for granted like weddings or funerals suddenly become hazardous to everyone's health.  Look after yourself and your close family.
Thanks and you're right. we are, as much as can be reasonable. Wife still sees patients with it nearly everyday, so it's prolly just matter of time for us. 

samandothers

Visiting a restaurant is something I miss. We have gone out to pick up stuff but not eaten inside since this all started.  We did pick up some Bagels the other day and sit outside the place and eat those since foot traffic was low.

Sedgehammer

We go out at least once every other week. Use to be weekly. My wife works really hard and she likes to go out to eat at different places. 

We're ranging around 1% to 1.5% increase daily. I don't know why some places are seeing it climb much faster. Everything is open here. Restaurants are busy. Stores are busy. Maybe 1/3 wearing masks. 

doc henderson

we made the news for the rise in patients, in part due to not having so much.  KC and Wichita got hit first.  we got the institutionalized folks.  now it is in the community.  We have been ready and waiting to the point that some were over it before it even got here.  It is 1/3 to half of what we see each day.  Hardly any employee has got it from work.  so hand sanitizing and masks must be helping.  we go up, as the suspicion goes up,  N95 or papr.  initial fear of the unknown, has dissipated.

alan gage

We've having another spike here in the past couple weeks. I was surprised to see today that our county of 9200 people has had 20 deaths out of 450 cases. Our neighboring county has about the same infection rate with 17,000 people and only 9 deaths in 750 cases. But it's gotten into two nursing homes in our county so far and that seems to be where most of the deaths have come from.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

samandothers

Doc,

Thank you and others that work on the front lines combating this virus.  I know it takes a lot of mental and physical stamina to continue in face of the long hours, mental fatigue and the constant flow of patients.

Magicman

Flattening the curve never said that there would be significantly fewer cases, just spread them out so as not to overwhelm the medical facilities and their ability to care for the patients.  That seems to have happened.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sedgehammer

.6% increase today. If you read the news media we're out of control. 

@Magicman you are 100% correct. It can't be stopped in a large country, but it can be reasonably slowed. 

Sedgehammer

posted with no comment besides no comment

doc henderson

In our prison system there are 1200 inmates, and 600 have had it.  lots of young healthy folks.  may be better to just get it over with.  but most of these do not need hospitalization.  Our hospital is filled to max capacity due to nursing shortage.  all surrounding referral centers on diversion 80% of the time.  many will not take a covid transfer.  Even trauma which is never shut down, has been down intermittently.  It is, after all, a world wide pandemic.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on November 02, 2020, 11:49:26 AM
In our prison system there are 1200 inmates, and 600 have had it.  lots of young healthy folks.  may be better to just get it over with.  but most of these do not need hospitalization.  Our hospital is filled to max capacity due to nursing shortage.  all surrounding referral centers on diversion 80% of the time.  many will not take a covid transfer.  Even trauma which is never shut down, has been down intermittently.  It is, after all, a world wide pandemic.
i think social distancing is an alright idea. Main thing though is to protect the vulnerable. That is where the focus needs to be.  

.9% DOD here, but that's being called rampant by some. I won't say where..... :D

alan gage

Quote from: Sedgehammer on November 02, 2020, 11:17:18 AM
posted with no comment besides no comment

Sorry to contribute to the thread drift.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Sedgehammer

We're up yesterday and today. 1.4% dod yesterday,  1.6 dod today. It's been around 1% for a long while. Everything is still open. Walmart no longer enforcing mask usage. 

Ed_K

State of Ma. just changed the rules again. Now mask is required all the time, all business's are to close by 9:30. If you drive someone other that your immediate family you need to wear one. It's a $500. fine but some town aren't enforcing just reminding you to wear the Dang mask ;D.
Ed K

doc henderson

After a 7 am meeting,  they are setting up for overflow with a disaster trailer and two large tents in the drive to the ed.  We are in "it" now.  should at least send a message as many in the community are over the whole "covid"  thing

Thank You Sponsors!