iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diff between Peavey and Cant Hook?

Started by Brad346, June 20, 2004, 01:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad346

I'd like a tool to roll logs when I'm cutting firewood.  Saw the other thread about Peavey jacks and thought I'd view the LogRite site for some info.

I see the product listings, but no real info for beginners on the intent and usage of the tools shown.

So, experts, what's the difference between a Log Peavey and a Cant Hook?  Why does the Peavey have a straight point, but the Cant Hook's tip is bent at a 90-degree angle.

If I'm rolling 24" logs after bucking, do I want a Peavey or a Cant Hook?

incognitive

If all you're doing is rolling logs, the cant hook will be the better tool as the little turned spike (as LogRite uses) will give a more sure action to the tool.  A peavey does not have quite the grasping ability, especially near the capacity limit, but it does have great advantage with the in-line spike for jabbing the tool into the ground.  The two main purposes for doing that are to temporarily store the tool in such a way you do not have to bend over to pick it up (convenience); and for an even more practical (safety) use, you can quickly jab the peavey into the ground to prevent a log rolling either into or away from you!  A cant hook can also arrest a log in that manner, but as with the peavey for grasping/rolling logs, there is a certain amount of initial slippage, which can be a little disconcerting if not merely inconvenient.

Perhaps instead of seeking advice here, it would really be best for you to get one of each (from wherever) and sell (or make a gift of) the one you like less.

Pete J

We're found many people prefer one type or the other. Some of our experiences are that people typically use a peavey for the longer length tools and a cant hook for the shorter tools with the 42" handle being the in-between.

People up north tend to use a lot more peaveys vs down south where many people tend use cant hooks. I've talked to many people down south who call cant hooks "peaveys", so there is still some confusion between the two.

In a nutshell, cant hooks have two biting edges where the peavey has one. Cant hooks bite better in the log and work great for sawmill guys. Usually, they are just rolling the logs from the log pile to the mill and then flipping the cants over on the log deck.

Peaveys are used a lot more by loggers and firewood guys. Typically they aren't rolling logs from a nice neat log pile. The spiked peavey tip can be jammed into the ground beneath the log and the tool can be used as a pry bar. It works good when logs are frozen to the ground and also for "dogging" a log around to point it in another direction for rolling. You'd typically dog a log around by jamming one peavey tip deep in the ground at one end of the log while you're partner rolls the log with his peavey at the other end. The log then pivots around the peavey stuck in the ground.

Lastly, it comes down to personal preference. Coke or Pepsi? Many people are set on one tool and they won't switch.

Hope this helps!
LogRite

Frickman

We generally only use peavies and cant hooks at the mill. Out in the woods we use hydraulics, it's easier on the back. Anyway, I keep a few of each kind around the mill in different sizes. When I roll a log onto the mill I'll use a peavy, as well as for the first turn or two. When the log gets squared up a cant hook is easier to use. The extra hooks lying around come in handy when you need help turning a log.

The Peavy is named after Joseph Peavy. He invented it in Maine in the late 1800's after he watched some river drivers untangling logs. It was made by attaching a swinging hook onto a pike pole, which explains the pointed end. The tool could then be used for turning logs, along with prying and pushing them. His family still manufacturers peavies and other logging tools in Maine.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

victorytea

Brad;  I like incognitive's idea about buying each and giving away the one you like the least.  I can send my address to you via PM if you decide to go that way.  BTW the cant hook was invented by a woman - Monica Cant- but Bill Clinton knows different.
Seriously, I'm glad you asked the question as I wondered about the difference myself, and it was interesting to learn the history of the peavey.  Paul

incognitive

For some history, see http://www.ruralheritage.com/logging_camp/peavey.htm which has some links that don't work, as I recall (and they're all hijacked within framesets -- yuck).  The link to the VanNatta site (within the article) should be http://www.vannattabros.com/saw26.html.

I like (and own some of) the Dixie products made by http://www.cmforge.com/forestry_tools/index.asp, though the http://www.peaveymfg.com/loggingtools.htm stuff certainly looks good too (and they have a small history page you might want to review).  The LogRite stuff really looks nice but I've never seen (nor handled) it in person so can't comment on it.

Jim_Rogers

I heard that story about Mr. Peavey adding the hook to the pike pole for the river drivers, also.

I use a peavey in my yard rolling logs to the mill. I have a long handle one for big logs and because my brother and I are both tall. And a short handle one for customers to use....

At the mill, I use Peavey  MFG's sawyer's favorite for rolling over cants on the saw.

I also have one of their pickeroons for pulling round edge boards back onto the saw from the log loader for squaring up the edges.

All of them are nice tools.

I did see Logrite's stuff at a show in NH last winter, and again this past spring at Springfield. Nice stuff.......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad346

Thanks for your replies.  I did go ahead and place an order for both units at LogRite.  They are reasonably priced tools and having an extra around for big logs will be handy.

Sorry, victorytea, I'm keeping the 'spare'.   :D

incognitive

After you get some time in with them, maybe you'll be so kind as to follow up to this thread with your impressions.

victorytea

I agree, let us know which you prefer, please.  I'm leaning towards a cant hook but probably will ask my wife to get it for me at Christmas time.  If you want to give that 346 a little xtra power, get a modded muffler for it.  A friend put one on mine and it runs cooler and with noticeable xtra umph.   Paul

Thank You Sponsors!