iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kickback from planer

Started by Wudman, December 30, 2019, 04:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

Just wanted to remind everybody about the possibility of kickback from the planer.  A board got me last week.  I was feeding multiple sticks of 1x4x8 pine stock.  I had just turned my head to grab the next board when I was whacked.  The offender was about 6 inches from clearing the out-feed side of the machine.  It clocked me on the left wrist and bounced off the tractor about 30 feet behind the machine.  At first I thought a knot had gotten me and then I saw the entire board.  Lost a little skin in the deal.  Had it hit something other than a hand, it could have caused more damage.  Don't get complacent.

Wudman   
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Dan_Shade

Do you know what caused the kickback? 

The only kickback that I have seen was planing an endgrain cutting board, which is generally a bad idea anyway... 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

petefrom bearswamp

Was it a lot thinner than the rest of the stock?
Could it have come from Pete's thick and thin mill?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kantuckid

My planer has fingers that stop kickback as did all the ones I've had under my supervision in school shops?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!