iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD and the Boxmasters on CBS

Started by Handy Andy, June 08, 2008, 08:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

CBS early show June 10, the Boxmasters.  JD is the one with the glasses.  They will also be on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on June 19.  Check them out on Boxmasters.com  The tour starts in July, and runs into September.  We will be seeing them in Salina KS on Aug 26 at the Stiefel theater.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ron Wenrich

Are they any good?  I'm thinking about going to see them in a local concert.  Nobody I've talked to knows much about them.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Handy Andy

CBS changed the time to Wednesday.  Early show.  If I knew how to copy and paste I'd send the video of the Poorhouse, but just don't get it.  Send me your email in a pmail and I'll forward it to you.  I'm prejudiced, but I think the music is great.  Was afraid he'd be playing some crap, but it's not.  Their new cd is coming out today, supposed to be carried by Walmart, and the free cd is of old remakes, and the new one is all original music.  I like some of the remakes, they do Chad and Jeremy's Yesterday's gone, and the Who's the Kids are alright, and original mixed up kid and the house at pooh corner, along with others on the free cd.  If you type in Boxmasters and do a search, you get a bunch of youtube videos that people have taped up and put on the internet for you to see.  They aren't pro videos, but some are good.  And there is also the link to the Poorhouse if you can find it.  It's a catchy tune.  JIm

Handy Andy

Handy Andy

I tried to play the video this morning and all I got were commercials.  Maybe they will fix it later.  Sorry guys.   Jim

Handy Andy

www.cbsnews.com/earlyshow and  scroll down to 'videos' and you'll see Billy's image(from poorhouse) click on it for segment that ran this morning on the early show.

Ron Wenrich

Well, I bought my ticket last night.  The concert is in August.  They haven't sold very many seats, and its a small theater that seats 650.  Also got my Arlo Guthrie tickets for November and Kathy Mattea for next April. 

Handy Andy

Thanks Ron, don't think you'll be disappointed.  Jim

Handy Andy

You can check out the Boxmasters on the Late Late Show,  w/ Craig Ferguson
on the 19th of June.  That is this Thursday.  If they don't show up, try again the next night.  CBS is a bit unreliable.  They were supposed to be on the early show the 10th, and they were on the 11th.  So will probably be the same on the Late Late Show.  That's 11 30 central time.  Jim

Handy Andy

Anybody see the Late Late Show last night?  They finished out the show with the Boxmasters playing the "Poor House".  It was great!

Ron Wenrich

Well, tonight was the night for Billy Bob Thornton and the Boxmasters.  They didn't disappoint.

The first set had all the band come out in black suits and they all wore black, hornrim glasses and they all had their hair slicked back.  They started playing, and Billy Bob came out and was the only one not wearing glasses.  They had a pedal steel player for that set, and things were definitely electric hillbilly.  Very enjoyable.  Some of the songs were a real hoot.  "Poorhouse" was a tamer song. 

The second set was their rock and roll set.  The steel player was now the bass man, and the bass man was now playing organ.  They were louder, and Thornton wanted everyone to stand.  He said they were used to playing in clubs where everyone stood and danced.  The music was pretty good, and the musicians were all very polished.

They put on a show.  They had a light show that was very reminiscent of the late '60s.  Thornton chain smoked during both sets, and drank beer.  I think it was part of the persona he was trying to portray.  He did sign autographs and had his picture taken with members of the audience.  He really ate that up.  I was impressed by how personable Thornton was and made sure that everyone got an autograph that wanted one.  Not quite what I expected from him.

All in all, it was well worth the $28 cost of the seat.  To bad the theater was less than half full.  200-250 people in a 650 seat house. 

Handy Andy

The concert was last night in Salina.  The theater was probably 90% full. They had a signing at a record store close by from 5:30 to 7:00, and you had to have an album to get it signed.  There was a line, and the store sold lots of cd's. Saw a woman there with a couple boxes of LP's and was getting them to sign all of them.  People were getting their pictures taken with BB and the band, we took the grandkids and got pictures. Then for the concert, the smaller (1 1/2) was dancin and havin a good time, and the older one, almost 4, was so tired she went to sleep during the show.  Don't know how anyone could sleep, it was loud!

Thank You Sponsors!