iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fuel mixture

Started by woodsdog2015, December 14, 2015, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsdog2015

Holmen, I figured people who do this for a living go through saws frequently.  I didn't think a year though I figured 3-5.  So not to put you on the spot and you don't have to answer but with your experience, would you say the Husky 562XP is the most reliable saw going right now or ????  I'm a Stihl Fan but it seems like a lot of pros use the Husky's.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

CR888

Yes 100% synthetic ester base is hygroscopic, anti corrosive additives help this, it is a big problem for rack bikes in the off season, l would not want any sticky substance in my 2T crankcases that will draw moisture out of the air when things lay sit unused for periods. Better ring seal with mineral oil. Better ring seal.....better power.

HolmenTree

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on December 19, 2015, 11:36:46 PM
Holmen, I figured people who do this for a living go through saws frequently.  I didn't think a year though I figured 3-5.  So not to put you on the spot and you don't have to answer but with your experience, would you say the Husky 562XP is the most reliable saw going right now or ????  I'm a Stihl Fan but it seems like a lot of pros use the Husky's.
Logging with one pro saw 6.5 to 8 hours a day 5 days a week after one year would start to be worn out enough to lose production capability and then it's  time for a new one.
That old saw can still be sold to a homeowner for about $300. Which makes good down payment on a new one and the new one is another tax write off.

The 562XP is one of  if not the most durable pro saw in its  class on the market at the  moment. 550XP following the 562XP in the 50cc class.
Stihl will catch up as their next generation  of saws in those classes plus a 77cc model will be introduced shortly ......with a design very close to the 550/562 with the laid back cylinder design.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

CR888

That layed back cylinder design appears quite a unique Husky design. It is a big change from the vertical upright design adopted by everyone else up to this point. As much as l am not a Husky guy, l own a 550xp & 555?? and l own a MS261 stihl. Without a doubt the 5 series saws are class leaders, the 60cc class is same size weight as other pro 50cc saws, the 550 50cc class is similar size/weight to MS241 40cc class. With reevboost, quad port cylinder, springs, & AT they are very pleasing to run. The air filter could do with an upgrade, but that's being picky.

CTYank

Quote from: thecfarm on December 16, 2015, 07:39:42 PM
One more wrench.  ;D  I buy the bottles too. The ones that are for 5 gallons of gas,but I only put 4 gallons in. Here's your wrench.  :D

Wrench? Where? If you mix 4/5 of the fuel that would result in 50:1 with a given amount of oil, bingo, you have 40:1. Piece o' cake. Exactly what I do, or at least approximately.

One thing not mentioned yet is where all that oil goes. It gets "smoked" out the exhaust, right to where our lungs get their supply of air. None of it gets burnt. The oil ends up as microscopic spherules laced with POM- polycyclic organic molecules. Really bad stuff, which gets carried deep into your lungs.

People have investigated this, and find that increasing oil percentage by X% gives an X% increase in POM generation. Not wanting to marinate my lungs in it, I keep ratio to 40:1 or slightly above, and try to make good use of the prevailing wind. (I do remember 16:1 dino-oil days!)

Most everyone likes to dump on the EPA, but they are trying to protect us from ourselves.  :snowball:
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

You can about gas yourself taking off a big stump about ground level .About the only thing  as bad is milling with a chainsaw .My two least favorite uses of a chainsaw.

beenthere

CTYank

QuoteMost everyone likes to dump on the EPA, but they are trying to protect us from ourselves.

Bull Puckey, it's a runaway train with license to do whatever they 'want to' and 'can do' to justify their existence. No room here to count the many ways we shoot ourselves in the foot (or the old saying "cut a fat hog in the ***) thanks to the EPA.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

IMO some EPA rulings are justified but conversely I do believe they are self promoting more times that not .That list is endless .

Al_Smith

So I sit here sipping coffee at o-dark thirty in the morn and a thought occurred to me .How come some people liken a dang chainsaw to an urn from the Ming dynasty .Rather maybe a vintage 1921 Indian motorcycle or a Fabrege egg destined for Catherine the great .

It's a tool .Some of us collect them, some of us restore ,massage ,tweek and twitter them but the bottom line still remains, it's a tool .

So that in mind other than the amusement value how many people actually travel 200 miles round trip just to buy special gasoline, petrol or what ever it's called to slake it's thirst .My bet is about .005 percent .

How many actually measure out for this special fuel, special oil ? I visualize a garage set up like a laboratory with beakers, test tubes and some guy in a white smock.

Nay I say .My money is on 99 44/100 % do just like myself .Dump the oil in the can and fill it full of gasoline and go run the noisey thing .Mine of course are noisey seeings I'm one of those outlaws the chainsaw police are after for altering the mufflers but that brings up another subject that might be as much fun as the oil wars . . :D

woodsdog2015

Its a good point Al_Smith.  My only concern is to stretch out my investment for as long as I can for as cost effective as I can a;though the more I use the saws and learn about them, their history, and other useful and interesting facts like the topics discussed on this forum, I seem to covet them more and look at them less like a tool and more like a good gun.... which arguably is also a tool in many respects.  I'm sure their is a full spectrum of users from that benefit from these kinds of discussions no matter what.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ZeroJunk

I wonder what laid back has to do with longevity ?  Stihl 032's 056's etc. were laid back 30 years ago.

John Mc

You can run ethanol fuel successfully in chainsaws (especially modern ones with updated plastics and rubber compounds)... no argument about that. There are also issues with ethanol that can adversely effect small engines. If you tune your saws properly, turn your fuel over quickly and don't leave it sitting in machines or cans for extended periods, you will most likely be just fine for the most part.

For us mere mortals who don't use a saw every day (or even every week), and might forget to drain the tanks, or occasionally have older gas sitting around, it makes some sense to take what steps you can to protect your investment. Would I drive 200 miles round trip to get non-ethanol fuel? Not a chance. I also won't burn Aviation gas (despite it being fairly convenient for me - it's expensive and a health hazard). Nor will I spend mega bucks for the canned fuel. Will I bring along a fuel can to fill at the station with non-ethanol premium that I pass several times a week? Sure. It only cost about 5 or 10¢/gallon more than the alternative. I also put in a fuel stabilizer, in case it sits longer than I intended (and even then, the occasional couple gallons of fuel gets dumped in my car, if it's not mixed with oil, or in my lawnmower if it is mixed). For me, it's cheap insurance.

E10 gas, canned fuel, avgas, all have their pros and cons. Any one of these may be a better solution for some people. I use what has the best trade-off of cost and convenience for me.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Quote from: ZeroJunk on December 24, 2015, 01:01:06 AM
I wonder what laid back has to do with longevity ?  Stihl 032's 056's etc. were laid back 30 years ago.
There was no references in prior posts that the new Husqvarna  laid back cylinder design has anything to do with longevity.......only that the new Stihl's introduced with have the Husqvarna 562XP (ultra )laid back design.
Which is much lower then Stihl's decades old design.

But while we're on the subject of durability,  the more a front muffler mounted cylinder is laid back, the better centered the cylinder and muffler is to the fan wheel for better cooling.
On the subject of synthetic oil as some suggested it's better for high heat. I have to add it's also better for  freezing temperatures below 0° F for better fluidity.
More  wear on engine parts is during cold startup and warmup so the better qualities of synthetic is an advantage.

I read a Stihl quote once that their Ultra full synthetic mix is bio degradable after the gas it's mixed with is burned  through the engine. Better for the lungs and environment..........

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!