iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pellet stove overflowing

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 26, 2016, 01:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Sometimes, not too often, my pellet stove burn pot overflows with pellets.

Like this:

Any advice on what causes this?

How can I prevent it from happening again?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Would have to hear how the auger is controlled, and what tells the auger to stop delivering more pellets.

What might that be?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

limbwood

looks like you need more air coming in to keep it burning faster, mine has a lever on side you pull out to adjust, sometimes if pellets are a little damp you need more air.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for your advice.

Stove is cold now, I'm going to clean it and make sure that the door(s) gaskets are good.

Jim Rogers

redprospector

I've got an old pellet stove in storage that I need to fix. The auger on it is controlled by a timer. When it started acting up, it would overflow the burn pot once in a while. Then it started happening more often, and then it would take spells of not feeding at all and the fire would go out. I tried a rheostat to get by while trying to find the right parts, but that didn't work too well.
Good luck, I hope yours doesn't end up in storage like mine.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Hilltop366

Not enough draft can cause not completely burned pellets, wondering if it is nothing mechanical if it could be a certain wind direction causing air pressure on the exhaust?

Jim_Rogers

I did a little research and found a site and article that explained the causes.

Basically, a dirty stove vent to the chimney and other places.
I just last night gave it a very good cleaning and today it's running fine so far.

Here is a link to that article.

help...http://www.pelletstovepro.com/2012/02/pellet-pile-ups-low-heat-and-black-glass/

Jim Rogers

Hilltop366

Good, glad to see you got it going right!

kensfarm

The first thing I do is a good cleaning out.  My starter rod doesn't work so I get a couple nice red coals from the fireplace to start w/.   I've tried the burn jell too.  If you get a fast fire on startup.. that's keeps the pellot's from piling up from the start.

I drilled about half of the holes in the burn pot larger and it really made a big difference.  I been running a Breckwell for last 15 years.. had to replace the draft blower once. 

Gwhunter

Jim, I've had this problem on my St Croix and found the main culprit was plugged holes in the burn pot. It was too obvious until I removed the pot and could see the hole being plugged.

Jim_Rogers

So far it has been running fine for a few days.
I'm going to clean it a little more often and hopefully it won't happen again.

Jim Rogers

PS how many bags between cleaning on yours?

Thank You Sponsors!