iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need some advice on how to skid a large tree

Started by hunz, October 09, 2013, 11:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Got any contacts that have a wrecker? If you buy a harbor freight winch get the 12,000 lb. Usually 299.00 on sale. Also buy the wireless remote. 29.00. Best thing since sliced bread.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

danabg

A skidder could sit at the top just drag the mainline down to the tree and winch it up,most mainlines I've been around are at least 100 feet long,if the tree is 80 ft down the bank that would be plenty.

riverlogger

My son and I have moved some unbelieveable size logs with a 5700 Kubota farm tractor and a boom pole on the back. The key is something I learned from the old old old timers. You need to have a few roll poles laying under the tree to help it skid along. If the tree is big enough we actually lay them down and let the tree fall on top of the poles when felling it. Hope this helps and good luck. Be careful!!!!!!!!

Southside

I think the skidder or wrecker idea would be the best time and money wise, especially if you had some rollers under that log, either peeler cores from a veneer mill, fence posts, or pipe sections, not saying your solution won't work, but if it does not or something breaks then it will cost more and get frustrating, heaven forbid you damage the wife's car.  I have tried things where I figured it would work by patching this and that together, sometimes it was fine, other times it was one of those learning lessons, if anything that the wife claimed as hers was damaged I usually never hear the end of it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Iron nut

In the diagram from RockH that will not work too good as you will lift the rear of the truck off the ground, thus losing traction. If you are going to pull that log with the truck you will have to rig your cable so that it pulls down on the back of the truck. This will give you some good traction. Cheers, Old Iron nut.

Thank You Sponsors!