iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rock Hound ?

Started by Autocar, April 28, 2012, 06:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

While turkey hunting this past week I found a rock a little bigger then a softball the end was chipped off and here the darn thing is hollow. I washed it out in a creek and the inside is a burgandy in color and the color looks to be about a quarter of a inch thick then the stone starts.Any ideas about it ?
Bill

Norm

Magicman

If you know of a "rock cutter", have him slice it.  The crystals inside are generally pretty.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

I've see the right geode go for $$$ on ebay. Like MM said, a lapidist/gemcutter will usually have a special saw for slicing up stones like that. You could get creative and build one, who knows, you could start yourself a new hobby ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

I can see it now.  A WM equipped with a 1° diamond tipped blade looking for another rock.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

MM, it would have to be more like this :) When it comes to stone, teeth won't do. I actually researched this awhile back :P The bands are expensive.

http://www.ukam.com/diamond_band_saw_blades.htm
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Autocar

I thought geo rock had crystals in it this one is as smooth as a counter top ?
Bill

lumberjack48

Love rock's, i have the wife picking rocks up for me all the time.

Autocar your rock sounds very interesting, a person don't know what you might find.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Norm

Yes the geode has crystals inside. I'm a bit of a rock hound myself, any chance we could see a pic of it?

bama20a

Hey I got one of them rock's, 8),Didn't know what it was.
The one I've got has been cut in half,Hollow inside,With crystals, sure is purty,Mark,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Norm

Here's some pics from Bill on the rock he found.

I'm stumped.

Autocar

Thanks Norm , pretty cool stone isn't it ? Maybe it came from Mars and Iam rich  ;D Then again maybe it's glowing in the dark  ;D
Bill

chain

Quote from: Autocar on April 28, 2012, 06:33:46 PM
While turkey hunting this past week I found a rock a little bigger then a softball the end was chipped off and here the darn thing is hollow. I washed it out in a creek and the inside is a burgandy in color and the color looks to be about a quarter of a inch thick then the stone starts.Any ideas about it ?
We have a similar 'rock' in our collection, ours seemed to have been used as possibly a Native American utensil as inside the round rock there seems to be a paste coating. We call it an "Indian Rouge Pot", the thinking is they ground berries and bits of roots in making their stains and cosmetics.

Autocar

If anyone is interested I looked up a professor that specializes in rocks and he said it was a Jasper Geode found in Licking cty.Ohio but said it was rare to find them anywhere else in the state. And the burgandy on the inside is jasper if that makes any sence to anyone.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!