iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Started earlier this year with Ash trees on my lot.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110495.new#new

There was some saw-logs in the group I felled and I worked on those.
Working on my tapper sawing technique lessons from
here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110986.msg1735920#msg1735920

D

Banjo picker

Brandi:  without going out and putting a tape on them , I would say about 16 inches wide.  They are 10 long,and about an inch lower than the off roller that is on the end of the mill.  I have mounted a radial arm saw between the first and second set, as I have one customer that ocassionally orders boards cut to length.  I find it helpful for my own use also. 

Swings out of the way when you don't need it. I have a couple of very large roller tables that are chain driven by an electrical motor,but I haven't had time to cut them down and install as of yet.  Thanks for your interest.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

teakwood

Quote from: Larry on June 26, 2020, 09:31:03 PMI called it just another "pita" walnut.

someones crap is another ones treasure! (Well, i don't know if i formulated that correctly)
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

TimW

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 27, 2020, 09:39:06 AM
Brandi:  without going out and putting a tape on them , I would say about 16 inches wide.  They are 10 long,and about an inch lower than the off roller that is on the end of the mill.  I have mounted a radial arm saw between the first and second set, as I have one customer that ocassionally orders boards cut to length.  I find it helpful for my own use also.  

Swings out of the way when you don't need it. I have a couple of very large roller tables that are chain driven by an electrical motor,but I haven't had time to cut them down and install as of yet.  Thanks for your interest.  Banjo
Thanks Banjo.  That is an awesome place to put a saw.

You have a roller on the end of the mill?  How about a photo or two it is also, please.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Banjo picker

I'll get you a picture tomorrow if I don't forget.  It's a massive roller at the end of the mill.  They come standard on the big Cooks mill now.  I had to pay extra when I ordered mine.  It's a back saver. Once you get a cant or stack of boards on that roller it's easy to get it started down the rollers....especially handy when you work alone.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Peter Drouin

Cutting 22' W Pine for another timber frame.
I like to have 100% control of the log setting it this way. Rolling them [long ones]
might bend the mill with my luck.

Chained up under the forks.

Forks under coming off. 6x12x22'
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Banjo picker

Cutting some red oak for a customer that's been down 2 years.
 It would have been better, but really not too bad either.

Here is the picture of the roller Brandi wanted to see.

About 6 inches in diameter, and sticks up just a fraction of an inch above the bed.  

Here is a view of the roller tables with the saw in line.

Banjo

TimW

Thanks Banjo!!!
I will line up mine like yours.  I do like the offload ramps off of the roller tables too.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

EOTE

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 28, 2020, 02:57:10 PMHere is a view of the roller tables with the saw in line.

I love using roller conveyors, too for a cut line as well as for my table saw.   I was able to pick up some skate wheel conveyors but had to build stands for them.

I originally bought them to offload boards from my sawmill but found the forks on my tractor was faster.  So I repurposed them. 

This is my sizing line.

This is the infeed/outfeed for the table saw.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Banjo picker

Holy cow thats a clean shop.  Banjo

EOTE

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 28, 2020, 08:20:08 PM
Holy cow thats a clean shop.  Banjo
My wife and I have an agreement - I make the shop dirty (building her a house) and she keeps it clean.  ;D ;D ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

LeeB

How do you keep that long fence lined up?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 28, 2020, 08:20:08 PM
Holy cow thats a clean shop.  Banjo
Actually that is a true example of photo shopped. 
Yup, a photo of da shop!!  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DWyatt

Had a good weekend with the mill, only my second paying travel job. Most of my cutting is for myself. Turned over 100 hours on the mill since I got it (prior owners pulled the hour meter ::)).

Small, small, and more small logs, all white oak cleared off when the customer built their house. All finished up for the weekend, they made about 850 bf ranging from 6' to 16' long. The boards will be used to build a deck off the back of the new house. Neat story behind the trees. The owners grandfather and great grandfather planted 10 acres of field with white oak, walnut, and locust 60+/- years ago and now the board will become part of their new house.

And lots of slabs when cutting logs this small.

Heading back there Friday to finish up the job. This has been a good lesson in how NOT to charge when sawing logs this small, but he did tip very well which helps. 

teakwood

@Peter Drouin , how did you support that mill shed opening so long without a post?? I need to do something like that and need ideas. Have a photo from the inside of the beam?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

EOTE

Quote from: LeeB on June 28, 2020, 10:25:33 PM
How do you keep that long fence lined up?
The roller conveyor stands help hold the rip fence stable.  It just takes a bit of care to align everything before starting to use it.

cutterboy

Quote from: EOTE on June 28, 2020, 09:32:50 PM

My wife and I have an agreement - I make the shop dirty (building her a house) and she keeps it clean.  ;D ;D ;D
That sounds fair to me. I think I'll mention this to my wife.....well, maybe not. ::)
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WV Sawmiller

I got out and did an alignment on my bed rails yesterday. I doubt they were out much over 1/4" between them all but got them all the same so I got out and sawed a few test logs. I started with a spalted 8' maple and made a couple of 8/4 LE slabs then a dozen 9/4 X 9/4 "stickers" for bench legs.

I took a 4' walnut crotch and cut 2-8/4 LE slabs and one 4/4 slab. Some spalting and may have to trim off one end but got it out of the way. I was going to make bench legs but it wasn't the right piece for that.

I did not take a picture but also grabbed a 5' ash piece and cut a dozen 9/4 X 9/4 bench legs out of it. I have a Lumberjack Festival coming up in September and plan on taking a large assortment of benches to it. Now lets just pray for good weather and safe travel conditions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Yesterday I was able to saw a short hickory I cut from the tree I took down a year and a half ago.  I was afraid it was gonna be too hard, but the Turbo 7s zipped right through it.  The log was S shaped and always wanted to hang to the ground, so I wacked it off.  I will sell these or hang on to them to see how they dry out.

Today I cut my first bench.  I used blocks of Red Oak for the leg blocks and bench.  It was just too ate up to make anything longer.

I also cut some thin Red Oak boards to make my 1st blade box.  The blocks, bench and boards are from a decaying (still alive on one side) Red Oak I dug up almost two years ago.

hugs,  Brandi

TimW

EOTE,
   How do you like that JET planer?  Also, with that clean floor and all those vacuum ducts, where do you dance on Saturday night?  taz-smiley
         hug,  Brandi

doc henderson

cranking out some nice wood and projects Brandi!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

Looks good. If anybody steals it I'd first check with the local ER to see if anybody reported recently with back problems. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

EOTE

Quote from: Bindian on July 01, 2020, 12:22:33 AM
EOTE,
  How do you like that JET planer?  Also, with that clean floor and all those vacuum ducts, where do you dance on Saturday night?  taz-smiley
        hug,  Brandi
Bindian,
I love the Jet planer!  I have the helical head and once I got it set up properly, it works flawlessly.  I've run over 8,000 board feet through it so far and it really does a nice job.  I haven't had to change the cutters yet but that is probably due to doing mostly pine.  You have to keep the table waxed thoroughly for the boards to run through smoothly.
I port the chips through a Harbor Freight dust collector and out to my 16K dump trailer.  I made a bin to dump the chips.  Each trailer load is about 9 yards of chips.

TimW

Quote from: EOTE on July 01, 2020, 09:28:06 AM
Quote from: Bindian on July 01, 2020, 12:22:33 AM
EOTE,
  How do you like that JET planer?  Also, with that clean floor and all those vacuum ducts, where do you dance on Saturday night?  taz-smiley
        hug,  Brandi
Bindian,
I love the Jet planer!  I have the helical head and once I got it set up properly, it works flawlessly.  I've run over 8,000 board feet through it so far and it really does a nice job.  I haven't had to change the cutters yet but that is probably due to doing mostly pine.  You have to keep the table waxed thoroughly for the boards to run through smoothly.
I port the chips through a Harbor Freight dust collector and out to my 16K dump trailer.  I made a bin to dump the chips.  Each trailer load is about 9 yards of chips.

Sweet!  What Harbor Freight dust collector do you use?  I was thinking the one in the store on display might be too small.
I have a 5hp helical Grizzly planer.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on July 01, 2020, 08:03:51 AM
cranking out some nice wood and projects Brandi!
Thanks Doc.  I have not been working due to voluntary Covid 19 time off.  So I am getting into the grove of cutting.  Sending my first box of blades to Woodmizer Resharp today.
SWA is giving voluntary retirements with 12 months pay and 12 months paid medical and dental.  I signed up for it.  I will know next month if it is approved.  I turn 62 next month.  So I could retired anywhere from August to Oct, depending on the company.
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!