iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Combo fuel/oil containers

Started by twistedtree, January 04, 2006, 08:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twistedtree

How useful have you found these combo fuel/oil containers for hauling around your gas mix and bar oil?  I've never used one but they look pretty attractive.  Do the spouts work well and not leak?  I've found this to be a problem will all too many fuel cans of every type.  They all appear to be made by Wedco.

Thanks

beenthere

I've used something that fits that description (don't know for sure if it is the same) that holds a gallon of fuel mixed, and about a third of a gal. of chain oil. The spout pulls out and it works well for me (has for 25 years now).
Do you have a site where the ones you speak of are shown?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tillaway

I have one and yes it is a Wedco.  I tossed the spouts like about everyone else does. 

Most of the fallers here just use whatever jug thay can find.  Normally used 1 gallon bar oil jugs to haul gas and oil.  They usually tie these together with a short chunk of rope so they can pack them around easier.  They will hang them over thier shoulders, it takes up one hand to carry a jug like a Wedco.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Ed_K

I use one, I cut the long spout down to where the smaller thread is and use caps off of a Qt oil can. I found out quick that you don't want to put the spout back inside the bar oil side then try to reuse it  ::).
Ed K

beenthere

I must be using something different, because neither Ed_K or Tillaway's descriptions fit mine. Looking for a link, as well as waiting for a link from twistedtree of the Wedco.

I just found the Wedco site  http://www.proquip.com.au/wpfcsecond.html
and that is not the can I have. I don't like those spouts either. Have one for my diesel can and I leave it 'out' with a plug in the end so I'm not 'washing' it off in the diesel fuel all the time when stored.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

twistedtree

Ironwood

I am with Ed K on this one, the darn thing works like a honey dipper holing all that oil. What a mess. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

Got me off my chair and out to take a pic. The can is called Tee Pee Can and shows the spout arrangement, which is not like the well-defined "honey dipper" Reid identified.   :)  These are smooth, and slip back into the can cleanly by using the cap to push it back. And best of all, when pulled out they do not leak either mixed fuel or oil. The plastic nuts/caps are good size and easily grasped. I've been happy with this one for a good many years ('81 I believe).

I find it disgusting that good fuel dispensing spouts cannot be purchased anymore. Not sure who to complain to or about, but don't like it much atall.
south central Wisconsin

twistedtree

I just ordered one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7734832440

It's the Husky combo-can, plus the apron tool bag.  I really like the bag and the spouts on the can.  It's received good reviews on the ArboristSite board, but for some unknown reason these cans are no longer available in the US.

The price is real high compared to one of the Wedco cans, but I also hate the long-neck spouts, and I always leave them on because of the honey-pot syndrome.

I'll report back whether it was worth the $$ after I get it and try it out.

clyde

twisted,  I only see the apron on this site.  Where do you get the cans?

Max sawdust

I dislike the combo containers, I have one collecting dust on the shop floor if someone wants it. :D
Mostly because of the spouts, but also when it is real cold out you have to tip it to high to get oil out and the gas starts to leak unless you have the vent cap tight. >:(
I just have two one gallon cans with good covers so they can sit out in the woods durning the job.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Woodhog

I also have one collecting dust under the workbench, messy piece of junk, leaks and the chain oil spout has to be pulled out of the gunk inserted in the hole and then the reverse procedure when the bar oil is in the saw...

For chain oil I just use the gallon chain oil jug and pour out of that...

For gas I use a gallon jug and dont use the spouts, just take the top off and pour it in the saw.

Both fit in the stump pan area of the tractor and are easy to carry around, I keep a few stashed around the cutting area.

Any of those spouted oil/gas cans (Wedco type) are one of my biggest agravations.

Even the 5 gallon one for the diesel fuel I dont use the spout....

twistedtree

Quote from: clyde on January 06, 2006, 09:39:10 PM
twisted,  I only see the apron on this site.  Where do you get the cans?

Sorry, I gave the wrong link.  There's another auction for the bag and can.  It's still what's pictured in the link I gave.

twistedtree

I share your frustration with the Wedco-type spouts, and leaky spouts in general.  I sure hope this Husky can doesn't have the same problems, otherwise this will have been one of my more expensive failed experiments.

isawlogs

I dont like the combo things either , I use the gallon that the oil comes in . As for a gas can I use a 2 gallon plastic can . This makes mixing the gas easy . 10 litters of gas and one 250 ml bottle of oil .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WoodSmith

I bought one of the combo's and immediately threw the spouts away and pour right out of mouth.
QuoteThey usually tie these together with a short chunk of rope so they can pack them around easier.  They will hang them over thier shoulders, it takes up one hand to carry a jug
The jugs tied together actually makes more sense to me, having that hand free is a good thing.

isawlogs

With both jugs tied together ... you put them on your shoulder and have both hands free  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wiam

Here is my combo jug.  It is almost time for a new piece of baler twine. :D :D

Will

Ed_K

well I can say the combo jugs are tough. I caught a tree with the skidder tire and squished the can between the tree and winch. Got all unhooked and back at the landing used a pry bar to push the colapsed jug back out and it don't leak  8). Cut the honey holder off the spout and use a cap off the 2 cyc oil bottle.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!