iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band blade drag sharpener

Started by RetiredTech, November 05, 2023, 05:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredTech

We had lots of rain the last few days. I took the time to finish the blade sharpener. Heres a few more photos. I made the blade support arms out of some beetle killed pine I cut off the place. I wanted to be able to put the support arms on and off without any tools so I came up with the idea of using some gate latches. There's one on each side of the sharpener and another one on the rear arm that keeps it from folding in use. Actually, If I had put the hinge on the other side of the back arm I may not have needed the third latch, but I didn't think about it until after I had it all put together.
I cut some small sections of 3/8" poly pipe for the band guides and put some sections of plastic milk jug under them for the blade to slide on so the blade won't cut into the arms. The main arm sits flat on the table behind the sharpener then the gate latches hold it in place. When it's not in use the rear arm folds flat against the main arm for storage.
  Now I need to revisit the PineyWoods setter page and see if I can mod one up..

Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Magicman

Are you sure that your table is strong enough to support your sharpener??  ffcheesy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

That unit is too cool!
Too many irons in the fire

RetiredTech

Quote from: Magicman on May 17, 2024, 10:25:39 PMAre you sure that your table is strong enough to support your sharpener??
Alas, my table is no more. That was a 6 1/2' oak log 21 1/2" in diameter small end. It's been on the mill for weeks now. I started the mill up yesterday afternoon and began sawing it. I hope to finish it today. Just need to edge and sticker it. Since the wind storm we had a few weeks ago I've got more oak and elm than than I can get to, plus a few mill-able pines on the ground. But I'm glad I don't have to watch these trees rot in the woods anymore.
  By the way, I did use one of my resharpened Woodmizer blades on the oak log yesterday. It cut like a new one.
I was very pleased.
  I really need to sharpen my woodworking skills so I can better use some of this wood. I really miss my Dad and Pawpaw. They were both very good hobbyist wood workers and light years ahead of my meager abilities.I guess I'll need to build a wood shop after the Carport and sawmill shed. Retirement is beginning to be a lot of hard work!
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Magicman

Retirement is actually a job, just different and with less pay.  ffcheesy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!