iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UTV?

Started by wbrent, April 15, 2023, 06:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Good brakes negates engine braking, which isn't going to stop you anyway. Engine breaking is a nice to have, it saves you from braking when you want to coast along slower. Again not needed with good brakes. Never need engine breaking here, the woodlot is dead flat so I don't hardly ever use a brake except a quick full stop if turning or something or backing up to the bed of the truck. Nothing I need.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2024, 08:43:15 AMGood brakes negates engine braking, which isn't going to stop you anyway. Engine breaking is a nice to have, it saves you from braking when you want to coast along slower. Again not needed with good brakes. Never need engine breaking here, the woodlot is dead flat so I don't hardly ever use a brake except a quick full stop if turning or something or backing up to the bed of the truck. Nothing I need.
Engine braking will almost stop the Sidekick going down hill. If you're on flat ground,  doesn't really matter. 

Got the replacement today and it actually has wet brakes all around.  They dropped it off and I have a couple days to get everything switched over from the old one. Spent the whole day tearing wiring out, changing tires, removing the plow and winch, all the strobe lights and backup camera.  Forgot how much stuff I added to it. The new RTV-X is a totally different animal.  Slow and very smooth. The hydrostatic drive really pulls nice and is not jerky like a CVT.  About half as noisy as the gas and for some reason has a power dump bed  ffcheesy. Luckily same roll cage as the gas so roof, windshield,  and back window swap right over. Hopefully this one will last.
20240325_161015.jpg
Old on the rt and new on the left. Look almost identical but the new one has a diesel engine that has been around for years and only goes 25 mph.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

oldgraysawyer

Glad to see they came through for you.

Nice toy.....I mean tool. :thumbsup:
DB in WV

21incher

Quote from: oldgraysawyer on March 25, 2024, 08:55:48 PMGlad to see they came through for you.

Nice toy.....I mean tool. :thumbsup:
I was lucky they finally stepped up and offered a replacement.  I was afraid to try another Subaru engine machine that they claim has been fixed for 2024 so my dealer worked out a deal where I just had to pay the 2k price difference between the 2 to switch to diesel. I think the diesel machines are fairly  bullet proof. I definitely got a post pandemic Lemon.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Glad you got squared up with them on a replacement.

We went through it with a tractor implement. Took several months of wrangling and there was no free replacement just a discount on a new one. It's not just about the dealer, it's about which of their satellite shops you want to avoid.  ffcheesy ffcheesy

What I dislike about engine brakes is when travelling on decent woods roads, when you let off the accelerator, you have to deal with the buggy decelerating too quickly. I want to coast along. I hate the constant deceleration/acceleration motion depending on whether your foot is on the peddle or not.  I think the only likelihood of nearly stopping on a hill with engine braking is at the very bottom where the slope changes, especially loaded or trailer behind loaded.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 26, 2024, 04:47:38 AMGlad you got squared up with them on a replacement.

We went through it with a tractor implement. Took several months of wrangling and there was no free replacement just a discount on a new one. It's not just about the dealer, it's about which of their satellite shops you want to avoid.  ffcheesy ffcheesy

What I dislike about engine brakes is when travelling on decent woods roads, when you let off the accelerator, you have to deal with the buggy decelerating too quickly. I want to coast along. I hate the constant deceleration/acceleration motion depending on whether your foot is on the peddle or not.  I think the only likelihood of nearly stopping on a hill with engine braking is at the very bottom where the slope changes, especially loaded or trailer behind loaded.
I had been working on this for a couple months.  That Kubota Cares division  that is supposed to get involved with problems was useless. Neither  the dealer or I could get an answer and they kept  saying it was a normal problem for the Subaru engines. Well just like mine more started popping up on other forums and I think that started getting attention with the threads about this receiving record number of views. I finally got mad and contacted NY to see if it fell under any consumer or lemon laws but off road vehicles like atvs, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles are  exempt from them all. I sent emails to every Kubota location manager in the US and also tried to get one to the CEO in Japan,  but that never made it. All of a sudden Kubota sent in a new rep to my dealership and a couple days later they want my machine back. Sounds like it will be used for testing a fix. I think being bad from the start got their attention.  Most others  seem to make it past 100 hours before getting bad.

mudfarmer

You are really going to like the diesel :thumbsup:

Swamp there is a "coast valve" that can be put in these if I remember correctly, or maybe it is already there and can be adjusted, so that you don't have such harsh engine braking.

beenthere

Hydrostatic transmissions shut down (stop forward/reverse motion) quickly, but that isn't "engine braking". just sayin... different from a geared transmission. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yes it is different. Mine's belt drive which I like because I can coast along without being under power and not be jerked forward when my foot is off the peddle. A more enjoyable ride.

John Mc

Interesting how people's needs and perceptions vary. I searched for a UTV with good, predictable engine braking for use in our hilly area. i don't want to have to constantly ride the brakes on long downhills. I ended up buying a lightly used 2022 Honda Pioneer 520. (no belt drive at all, selectable automatic or manual "paddle shifting" transmission.)

I wanted something smaller and lighter than my tractor so I could get in to tighter spaces as well as getting out in my woods out with my gear and get some work done when conditions might still be too soft for my tractor. I'm happy with it. 

It's only rated to tow 1000#, but if I have a big job to do, I'm bringing my tractor anyway, so I don't find the 1000# limit to be a problem.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on March 26, 2024, 12:01:11 PMHydrostatic transmissions shut down (stop forward/reverse motion) quickly, but that isn't "engine braking". just sayin... different from a geared transmission.
Yes the hydrostatic transmission is a total different animal.  It will hold back the speed but it is not recommended to use to stop. That's why they put wet brakes on my new one that don't fade quickly on a hill. 

mudfarmer

Yes sorry not exactly "engine braking" but it's a term everyone understands I think.

It is steep everywhere here and I love the " Hydrostatic transmissions shut down (stop forward/reverse motion) quickly " function so have not messed with it but did just look it up and you can either buy an aftermarket valve or adjust the spring tension on the stock one if you live somewhere flat rayrock

Interesting that it is not recommended to use to stop, there really isn't an option-- if you take your foot off the accelerator pedal on mine or any of the older RTV900 you will come to a STOP! and fast. I wonder if people complained too much and they dialed this back on the newer models? Either way, enjoy the new ride and glad you got it sorted.

Wlmedley

I sold my boat and got a fair price for it so now I'm going to buy a SxS before I spend all my boat money. I thought about buying a new one but the dealers tack on a bunch of extra fees so the price gets pretty steep.I've found two Honda Pioneers that I want to look at.Both are 700's and have less than 2000 miles and according to pictures look almost new.Neither have power steering but I found some kits for around $700 to add it.Anyone have any experience with them?
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Bert

I have a 2014 Pioneer 700. I use it everyday for something. Mostly hauling firewood. Its been pretty much bulletproof. Likes rear brakes and probably put a set on every 4 months or so is the only quirky thing I  can think of. 

No power steering but don't need it. Turns easily even with a plow on the front.
Saw you tomorrow!

Wlmedley

Thanks for the info,Maybe I won't need power steering and I'll check brakes.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

21incher

I have been looking at new tractors recently but am seeing a lot of newer lower hour ones up for sale that would save me 3k alone on sales tax. My biggest worry is how do you verify if a newer machine has a lien on it when paying cash? Most motor  vehicle have titles that record liens but tractors seem to just come with a certificate of origin and many are financed but no paper trail. At this point I have lost trust in people telling the truth and wondering if there is a way to check and verify you aren't getting stuck with a used financed machine. Is there  a registry of liens on tractors somewhere that could be used to check?

TroyC

If it is a newer one you can get the serial number and run it at the dealer. That will also transfer the warranty for some makes.

livemusic

Quote from: LeeB on March 04, 2024, 04:32:00 PMMy 2011 Polaris Ranger motor shot its wad a couple weeks ago. I' seriously considering replacing it with a 90s model Jeep Wrangler.
Now there is a comment I resemble. I have been kicking around the idea of a new UTV of some sort and would prefer one with a larger bed, power dump at that. Have considered a larger bed UTV or even a 6-wheel UTV. AND... scrapping all of that and just buy an old compact pickup 4wd, pretty much the smallest I could find. This would be for hauling firewood out of my woodlot via my trail network. I have been smoothing out some of the trail turns, lessening the bends. A small 4wd pickup could navigate and cost a fraction of what a UTV would cost. Problem is, I hate to buy a piece of junk. I am tired of working on broke down old equipment, lol. But... still considering this idea. I can buy new, I have the budget set aside, but it just makes me mad these things are so expensive. But, heck, trucks are, too.

As for power steering, I have two used Gators I bought over the years, a diesel 850d and a gasoline TX. The gasoline is super easy to steer, the diesel is hard to turn. I like easy to turn for sure!
~~~
Bill

ehp

I like what I bought , it gets around pretty good in the bush , it has power steering and its like driving a car, has engine braking and can haul 2500 pounds which that weight better be on wheels cause that is way more than what the machine weighs , not fast but is suppose to do 70 mph but pretty hard to go that fast in the bush lol

GAB

Quote from: 21incher on March 31, 2024, 10:06:31 AMI have been looking at new tractors recently but am seeing a lot of newer lower hour ones up for sale that would save me 3k alone on sales tax. My biggest worry is how do you verify if a newer machine has a lien on it when paying cash? Most motor  vehicle have titles that record liens but tractors seem to just come with a certificate of origin and many are financed but no paper trail. At this point I have lost trust in people telling the truth and wondering if there is a way to check and verify you aren't getting stuck with a used financed machine. Is there  a registry of liens on tractors somewhere that could be used to check?
My first suggestion to you would be to check with the town clerks office in the town the "toy" you are eyeing is in.
Second suggestion; is to contact the tractor manufacturer's finance department.
Third; see if the dealer that sold it is willing to tell you if it was financed and if so by who.
As you are probably well aware, if there is a lien, the lien holder could repossess it from you.
Good luck,
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

Sounds like a big machine with 2500 lb capacity. Way beyond my needs. But as I always say, get the one you want, then you can't blame anyone else.   ffcheesy ffcool

I have 500 lb payload and 1500 lb towing on mine. It's still 62" wide. No complaints. I'm in for the long haul.

ehp

Mine is not that big , mine was to be 61 or 62 inches  wide but I think its abit more than that , I got the same engine as the rmax so 108 hp , but im narrower and lighter and a touch shorter . I was looking at the general 1000 but this is very close and 10 or so grand less up here so I bought it

SwampDonkey

Yeah I think the Ranger 1000 has 1000 payload and 2500 towing, it's a big machine. Probably $10,000 more these days. I got mine under the wire because the next year they went up in price big time.

Wlmedley

I've been through an ordeal but I finally bought a utv.I had a pretty decent boat that didn't get used hardly any since  my wife had her second stroke and have been wanting to sell it but the ad bulletin we used to have to around here to sell stuff on is gone and everyone said to put it on Marketplace. I didn't really know what I was doing but my son showed me a little bit.Had to join Facebook to use the Marketplace and I didn't really want to do that.Anyway I did and after taking a bunch of pictures and answering a hundred questions I got what I was wanting for boat and I figured while I was signed up might as well look for a SxS.Finally found a pretty nice Honda Pioneer 700 at a price I could afford using boat money.Brought it home today with no mishaps except for a missing ratchet strap but machine was still on trailer.Me and my wife took it for a little run and I think I'm going to like it.It really rides good and tops out at around 43mph.Went up a pretty steep gas line right of way with no trouble and feels stable. I also put a little wood on the porch with it as we have another cold spell.It doesn't have power steering but I can add it for around url=https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=353346][/url]700.Going to run it awhile and see if I need it.I think the older fella I got it from kept up on maintenance and he kept records of it.

SwampDonkey

Looks like the fella hardly ran it at all.  :thumbsup: 

Thank You Sponsors!