iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you do?

Started by TexAg09, December 16, 2015, 01:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexAg09

Hello All!
   Everybody has to have a first post, and this is mine.

I have recently acquired a piece of property that has been in the family for 100+ years. I bring that up to say that although I just bought the land, I am quite familiar with it and know the history of its past logging operations... More specifically, I'm dealing with 37.50 acres of raw, densely forested Pine forest in deep East Texas (Shelby County), with mixed hardwoods found throughout. It was diameter cut, excluding hardwood, about 25 years ago and regenerated naturally. For the record, I have indeed reached out to a consulting forester, but won't be able to do anything until the new year. 

My concern is whether or not it would be worth the hassle and money to clear-cut 30 acres, selling everything that I can in hopes of re-planting an actively managed tree farm. ** I know my question is partly based on information that can't be answered here and I understand that. However, I think that you may be able to give general guidance.

By "worth the hassle", I mean that I don't want to get to the end of a clear cut & timber sale to find out that the costs of the work eat away most/all of the timber money.  So, with the current condition of the timber market, is it feasible to expect a profit from this type of operation of this smaller scale? My other option would be to only selectively clear 5-7 acres for a future home site; leaving the mature forest.

terry f

See what you get from the seven acres, and that will tell you if its worth doing the other thirty. Hard to watch all your trees go down the road and get nothing in return, or worse yet, have to write a check.

Texas Ranger

Replanting after a clear cut will run $500 an acre, or there about.  Will you net that on the sale?  Is there any pine regeneration on the ground?  $500 an acre for hardwood could be hard to reach. Even so, I would think at best it would be a break even.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

timberking

Hopefully your consultant can give you a good number on the value of what you have now.  Tree planting can cost about as much as you care to put in depending on mechanical site prep, chemical application, seedling choice, and planting method.

TexAg09

Wow! Thanks for having such quick feedback!

I certainly will have the consulting forester take an inventory on the stand and get their opinion before taking any action.

Ron Scott

Yes, that will be the preferred approach. Let the professional forester know what your objectives are for the property and seek their advice on what's the best future condition for the property and how to implement any management practices required.
~Ron

curdog

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 16, 2015, 02:42:44 PM
Replanting after a clear cut will run $500 an acre, or there about.  Will you net that on the sale?  Is there any pine regeneration on the ground?  $500 an acre for hardwood could be hard to reach. Even so, I would think at best it would be a break even.
I'm not doubting your numbers, but does that include site prep, or is that straight planting?  Our straight planting loblolly runs  $95, and then cost share funds can get it down to 55-60/ acre. I guess different parts of the country have a lot wider price range than I realized.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TexAg09.  Adding your location to your profile will help with future questions. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

[/quote]
I'm not doubting your numbers, but does that include site prep, or is that straight planting?  Our straight planting loblolly runs  $95, and then cost share funds can get it down to 55-60/ acre. I guess different parts of the country have a lot wider price range than I realized.
[/quote]

That would include mechanical site prep, push and burn, planting, and herbicide.  Last two big tracts came within a few dollars of that price, up and down. Cost share is never a given down here, feds play with the money.  A lot depends on site, I am south of the original poster and our brush is a lot more of a problem, herbicide adds up.  We can actually get straight planting cheaper than that $95, every game is a new game, new players, new problems, and new demands.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

curdog

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 17, 2015, 09:29:19 AM

[/quote]

That would include mechanical site prep, push and burn, planting, and herbicide.  Last two big tracts came within a few dollars of that price, up and down. Cost share is never a given down here, feds play with the money.  A lot depends on site, I am south of the original poster and our brush is a lot more of a problem, herbicide adds up.  We can actually get straight planting cheaper than that $95, every game is a new game, new players, new problems, and new demands.
[/quote]
That intensive of site prep definitely adds up,and that's not a bad price for that many practices.  We're fortunate that we can straight plant many tracts or do an herbicide release following planting. I bet Ya'll have some good clean looking planting jobs after that's done.

Thank You Sponsors!