iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ever heard of a JOBU M5 saw?.... :o)

Started by AndysMagicFinger, November 13, 2002, 05:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndysMagicFinger

I've recently aquired a JOBU M5 saw  - made in norway for big strong lads by the feel of it - beast of a saw, weighs as much as truck - no break, and boy is it noisy.  Non runner when I got it - two new crank seals and it now really flies...;D

Question is.... got any idea what make of bar I could get to fit? - got a 22" bar at the moment but v worn - the new .404 chain for it will soon be ruined running on this one.  Seems v old, so I assume can't get 'real' bits for em anymore - would husky or stihl bars fit? etc  

Seems a shame to trash it when it runs so well.  

PS I'm from GB - little place called Shropshire - just had a big storm - don't you just love it when theres shed loads of trees to clean up - got enough firewood to last ages.. :)
it's STIHL wet here......

DanG

Welcome, AMF! Nice to have a Brit on the forum. Maybe you can help keep some of those Kiwis in line. :D

I never heard of a Jobu saw. Someone posted a link recently, I think it was to Oregon's site, that had diagrams of all the bars they had. It might be useful in tracking down the bar you need. I'll try to find it and post it later.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

AndysMagicFinger

Ta v much  - will look in later...  ;)

AndysMagicFinger

Prob the easiest thing to do is whip off the bar and take it round all my mates - compare it to as many makes as poss.
Thanks...

Kevin

Leo Cummings
 Rt. 1, Box 1660
 Vassalboro, ME 04989
 207/642-3754
Parts for Jobu saws

KiwiCharlie

G'day Kevin,
Hope andysmf doesnt need any large parts, postage would cripple him to the UK!! ;) :D ;D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum AMF! 8)  Where is Shropshire, England? I know where London and Portsmouth is.... ::) :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

AndysMagicFinger

Try this url.... http://www.touristnetuk.com/WM/shropshire/towns/marketdrayton.htm

Great place to live - v picturesque, great people - but then again I ain't been to North America.... :)

Jeff

O.K. New Guy ya got me. I came right out of my chair when I saw your post total. :D Took me a moment to land. :)

O.K. now that you got one in on the Admin, ya gotta explain your nickname.

FAMILY SITE!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KiwiCharlie

Hey Jeff,

I reckon hes a fully qualified REAL wizard! ;)  Probably wears one of them pointy hats and all! :D
Well Andy, am I right?!  Welcome.
Oh yeah, the post thing got me too!
Cheers
Charlie the insane Kiwi
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

AndysMagicFinger

Hi guys.... glad you liked the number of posts thing... :D :D

The name is something that I have been called for ages now... just that people round here seem to think I can fix most things.... they bring me busted stuff and ask me to touch it with my magic finger... I take it back - welded,soldered, rebuilt, whatever - working again.. ;D

woodbeard

Hi Andy. Congrats on that finger. I got one that works the other way around. Here's a site that has info on Jobu, and lots of other obscure makes: http://www.acresinternet.com/sites/cscc.nsf
Good luck,
George

AndysMagicFinger

AndysMagicFinger

Excellent site.... just wot I needed - although I now realise the M5 saw I have isn't as large as I thought it might be.. ::)  Obviously fooled by the fact it was made 35years ago from heavy viking steel - only 4hpower - but weighs nearly 20lbs.

Ta for the info.. :)

Bro. Noble

Woodbeard,

Thanks for the site.  A while back I posted a question "Remember Barker Saws"  This site has Barker Saw Company listed.  They list several models but only have a picture and full info on the C-30 Sportsman.  I helped build a whack of those when I was in my early teens.  We have a few of the old Barker Chainsaws , But none this old.  I'm looking.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!