iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found my grandfathers mill!

Started by Wallee, December 28, 2016, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

As some of you on FF know from reading and watching my exploits over on my Wallee's Milling Thread, my life long love of sawdust started early. It began from the time I could remember actually. By the time I was big enough to catch small slabs and flitchs from the edger I was working at my grandfathers circle mill! His mill was mostly custom (built by him, as needed for upgrading and such through the years). i by the age of twelve was setting blocks and riding/running the carriage for my grandfather. My grandfather unfortunately around the time I was about 14 decided to sell his mill he had owned in some configuration or another for over 50 years due to his declining health and being on kidney dialysis. Well withing 2 months I would say of selling the mill I grew up at, the sawdust bug was to great and he started from scrap and began to build a new mill. We worked on the mill over several months and we were about 1 week from out first run of the mill when my grandfather had to go in for knee sugery. Unfortunately my grandfather never made it out of the hospital due to a unexpected blood clot. So as the story goes, my father decides to sell his last mill he built to help our grandmother with expenses. Years go by, the bug bites me and I buy a band mill. Built a business. Started to grow. I began looking and scouring for a small circle mill to help grow my business and help me produce a little more in a days time. And thats when it happened! While scouring facebook groups of sawmill related posts I happened upon a very familiar looking ud14 International power plant and a very familiar carriage frame. I called the owner who was looking to sell and asked if he could tell me about the mill and he responds that he got it from a neighbor who had bought the mill from the town that i lived in. I then traced the mills ownership back to my grandfather! What a find! Long story short on my end.... I bought it and started putting it back down where it belonged under the shed that was built to house it! I have a long road ahead of me but I have a friend of my grandfathers who is helping me align and put the mill down. 2 days into this and I have the husk set and  first piece of track laid and leveled. I will post some pics to share my progress along the way!

Started by removing the lt28 from the sawmill shed.

Then we excavated the dust pit my grandfather had made 20+ years ago. Its 20' thick walls and around 7' deep at its deepest point. I use to have to climb down in it as a kid and grease the bearings on the dust chain wheel. We had it filled in to run the bandmill under the shed.

Attached some timbers to the concrete to secure the husk to it. used a transit to level only to find out that the concrete was perfect lol. Couldn't get any better right?

Just before we set the husk in place.

Husk set in its general location

All these pics were from day one. I have more pics to come I just need to take some in the morning of our day 2! I would say we are well off to a decent start!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Beavertooth

Glad for you. hope it all goes well and helps you to relive some great memories of your grandfather.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

thecfarm

What a find,good story. Them logs are waiting for ya!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Outstanding find. Real happy for you.  Do keep us updated. ;D

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

stanwelch

Good on ya Wallee. You make your grandfather proud  8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ddcuning

So awesome that you were able to find his mill and better yet that you are going to set it back up and get to saw on it!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Magicman

This will be an interesting story to follow.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

What luck.
congrats.
Looking forward to more pics
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Wallee,

Congratulations. Great find. Glad the old girl is home again. I can guess what your New Year's Resolutions will be this year. Keep those pictures coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gww

wallee
You are definatly a go getter and one with passion for what you are doing.  You are putting action behind your ideals and I don't see how you could not be successful if you keep persuing your passion and improving as you go.  Just because you don't just sit on your butt but actually do things makes you someone I could look up too or be very proud of or however you want to phrase admiration.
Life is kinda short and it is nice to see someone living it with passion.
Cheers
gww

Al_Smith

Good story .I can relate to the sawdust in the blood line .My maternal grand father had a small hardwood mill when I was a boy .On my fathers side they were all machinests ,tool and die makers tracing back to metal workers in the middle ages from England.I broke the mold on that but I still have both sawdust and metal chips in my DNA .

GDinMaine

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

George Zarifis

Great story! I'm looking forward to the first slab!
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

Wallee

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 28, 2016, 11:34:41 AM
Good story .I can relate to the sawdust in the blood line .My maternal grand father had a small hardwood mill when I was a boy .On my fathers side they were all machinests ,tool and die makers tracing back to metal workers in the middle ages from England.I broke the mold on that but I still have both sawdust and metal chips in my DNA .
I appreciate all the kind comments and encouragement the forum provides!
I honestly eat,sleep, and think about sawmills 24-7 lol!

Today I got all the track laid and leveled. Still have to align the track to husk but I need to start the carriage build in the morning!

I even got the carriage drive some what aligned and meshed!

Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

nativewolf

Great great story.  I had an idea, free one so you know what it's worth.  I would get a portable small conveyor down under that pit pulling the dust/chips out or maybe a little chain.  Not sure if the pit is wide enough but chip waste removal in a saw mill is one thing that has gotten a bit more intelligent (and cheap) and you can pickup conveyors for not very much nowadays. Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of the story we are seeing.

Again, great story and great progress.  You are rocking and rolling speed wise.
Liking Walnut

Lumber Grader

Wow!  What an incredible story your are kind enough to share with us! I have no doubt that every board will be sawed with great love and with your grandfather in mind.  Your family must be very proud of you and everyone at the Forestry Forum wishes you the very best with your new mill.  They say "It is only work, if you would rather be doing something else" and it sounds like this is your love and passion.  I have no doubt your grandfather would be so very happy and proud for you.  Please give us more pictures and if possible a video of you sawing. God Bless.  Thanks again for sharing such an incredible story and a very personal story. Dreams really do come true and thanks again for sharing your dream with all your friends at Forestry Forum. 

Wallee

Quote from: nativewolf on December 28, 2016, 06:54:42 PM
Great great story.  I had an idea, free one so you know what it's worth.  I would get a portable small conveyor down under that pit pulling the dust/chips out or maybe a little chain.  Not sure if the pit is wide enough but chip waste removal in a saw mill is one thing that has gotten a bit more intelligent (and cheap) and you can pickup conveyors for not very much nowadays. Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of the story we are seeing.

Again, great story and great progress.  You are rocking and rolling speed wise.
There will be a dust removal chain run off the mandrel! I will be getting some new chain here pretty soon because the old chain hasn't been cared for and is in shambles.
Also I ordered my forward and reverse friction feedbelts from allbright saw co (aka Frick) today. They should be in by Monday! Also I am going to look at a new power unit tomorrow as my old ud14 international just doesn't have any parts support. Going to be looking at a rebuilt fresh 6-71 Detroit!

sawguy21

Keep those pictures coming, this is a great story. ;D You think that screamin' Jimmy will be enough? Wow.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pwrwagontom

Very cool!  Love the story.
I bet you will learn a lot about the mill reconstructing it in its original location.

Glad to see you finding a way to connect with your grandfather.

Will be following, keep posting pictures!
Never give an inch

Czech_Made

ReinkeFandS

Really cool story, thank you for sharing with everyone here!
Cooks MP HD3238
Stihl MS 461, MS 261, Homelite SXL
Burnrite 228 OWB
2014 Kubota M6060
1942 Ford 2N

Wallee

Didn't get a chance to get any pics today due to being so busy! Today I got the frame work for my new carriage almost complete and by mid afternoon I had to stop and fire up the bandmill to get a custom order of cedar ready to go. My grandfathers friend stopped in to check on my progress and was very pleased with how far I have got and said that everything was looking great! So I was happy to hear this of course, knowing he has 2 mills set up and running! Will get some more pics tomorrow! I am heading out in the morning to look at the detroit! keep your fingers crossed and lets hope this is a good one!

richhiway

a great story and a great job. Be great to see the boards flying off her.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

carykong

your grandfather lives on and is guiding you, great story

4x4American

Great find Wallee!  Good job, I loved the story and look forward to seeing your progress.   :new_year:
Boy, back in my day..

BigZ La

Glad to hear you found it. Can't imagine the feeling of being able to make a living using something like that that my grandfather would have used to earn a living.

Wallee

Quote from: BigZ La on January 02, 2017, 11:37:33 AM
Glad to hear you found it. Can't imagine the feeling of being able to make a living using something like that that my grandfather would have used to earn a living.
Words can't quite describe it! Pics incoming today. Phone memory was full lol. I remedied that last night!

DeerMeadowFarm

4x4American

The suspense is killing me!!  lol

Hey Wallee are you still logging?
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Alright here is a end view. We almost there! Concrete was poured today and setting for the log deck to be brought over and for the roller bed bases. Those pipes you see to the right are the bases for where my rollers will sit. 2' deep, 80# of concrete per hole. I will weld angle to the top and bolt my rollers there! More pics to come tomorrow. I had to stop early and go pick up my grandpas old power unit. Ud14 international. Going to try and fire it up tomorrow. She use to pur like a kitten and keep the tail men sweating. Clean oil in her so it's possible I might use it if it starts. For a moment anyways  :D

Gearbox

If you choose to run that unit Idle it on gas a few min to cool down be for shutting down . They were prone to head cracking . Is that U D about 60 HP ?
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Wallee

Quote from: Gearbox on January 04, 2017, 10:02:30 AM
If you choose to run that unit Idle it on gas a few min to cool down be for shutting down . They were prone to head cracking . Is that U D about 60 HP ?
64-78 depending on what online source I have seen. It use to run great. We got it to hit once today. Maybe with a little tomorrow it will pop off. If not I need some leads on a good power unit!

Kbeitz

It helps to take an old oil can and fill it with gas. Take of the air cleaner
and crank it over while squirting some gas in the intake. You can keep
the engine going alone with the oil can it's self.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

A UD-14A is 78hp, not sure what a regular 14 is.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wallee

Well here is an update! First log went on the mill today with complete success! Here is a pic of me and one of my grandfather's old buddies (the one who has been helping me get this done). I have a video I will post here in a bit!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Well Sir, you have done much work and it looks good.  Your Grandfather would surely have been proud, both of you and what you have accomplished.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

paul case

I am kinda wanting to see a video of it cutting a log?????

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ljohnsaw

Nice!  Been following this for a while.  You sure got it up and running quick!  I take it you got the UD14 going?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Wallee

fishfighter

Nice, but those mills scare me. My grandfather got killed in his sawmill like that. Piece of a blade broke off and hit him in the head. :(

gww

The mill must have been in pretty good shape.  You sure got it put together and running pretty quick.  I always thought circle mills were cool. 
Cheers
gww

Bruno of NH

Can you add some Lexan or some other safety glass product in front of the blade ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DannyLand

I was working the out-feed table on a mill just like that when it hit a 5" cut nail at just the right angle, the blade threw most of the teeth and clips, it was like a grenade going off. Scary stuff but a really cool saw. Thanks for posting. 
Woodland Mills HM126, Hudson debarker, Jonsered 2171, New Holland skid steer, 1955 International Harvester Dump 132

Gearbox

A couple of ideas on safety . One mill I had a old refrigerator shelf between me and the blade . the one I run now has a plastic window . MAKE A RULE that your  off bearer does not reach near the saw past the board splitter . IF anything needs to be removed from this area you do it with a push stick . That may save you from getting hit with a knot that my off bearer tried to balance on a piece of slab . Fell into the saw at the board splitter I tried to move fast still got me in the arm . we looked and never found it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

paul case

The knot or your arm or both?

Just kidding. Them big circle blades can be dangerous. no kidding.

Be careful out there.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Wallee

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 14, 2017, 12:28:06 PM
Can you add some Lexan or some other safety glass product in front of the blade ?

Yeah a lot of guys running similar setups run plexiglass to stand behind. Actually the wife has is already demanding it lol. I will be putting it in really soon. My great grandfather sawed till he was 90 years old and never got so much as a scratch. Just have to be careful and know what to look for. I was riding the carriage of this mill and setting blocks at 12 years old. I think you just have to have respect and make sure your tail guys are paying attention.

Wallee

Quote from: Gearbox on January 14, 2017, 07:06:51 PM
A couple of ideas on safety . One mill I had a old refrigerator shelf between me and the blade . the one I run now has a plastic window . MAKE A RULE that your  off bearer does not reach near the saw past the board splitter . IF anything needs to be removed from this area you do it with a push stick . That may save you from getting hit with a knot that my off bearer tried to balance on a piece of slab . Fell into the saw at the board splitter I tried to move fast still got me in the arm . we looked and never found it .
We did some trial runs today and I already did a safety meeting with my off bearers. They did a thing or two I found to be questionable and I might have hollered at them! "Look and pay attention!!!"

Wallee

Quote from: gww on January 14, 2017, 11:42:26 AM
The mill must have been in pretty good shape.  You sure got it put together and running pretty quick.  I always thought circle mills were cool. 
Cheers
gww
Took 3 weeks of straight 7 days a week 8 hours a day work!

Ohio_Bill

Wallee you're a get it done guy.  Very nice job. Congratulations
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

thechknhwk

Great story :) and congrats. I would love to see a longer video of it running, cutting up a few logs.

VTwoodworker

Nice mill and awesome job putting it together in just a few weeks.  I also grew up working in a circular mill.  Healthy respect, being alert and common sense always are vital but safety starts with personal protective equipment (PPE).  At the risk of sounding preachy - no one should be in that building while the mill is running without real safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes and gloves.

Now that you have done the test run, a sawyers screen of safety glass or mess is a must.  Also, eliminating all trip hazards for the sawyer and offbearer is very important.  Engineering a roller or conveyer system to catch the lumber as it comes off the saw and prevent small slabs slipping under the saw will improve safety.

My uncle lost an eye from a small edging ejected from the edger.  He was 20' away involved in a completely separate mill operation but not wearing glasses.  I use this experience to remind myself to take time for safety.

Good luck with that mill and be safe.

Wayne

Kbeitz

Quote from: Wallee on January 14, 2017, 11:08:51 PM

Yeah a lot of guys running similar setups run plexiglass to stand behind. Actually the wife has is already demanding it lol. I will be putting it in really soon. My great grandfather sawed till he was 90 years old and never got so much as a scratch. Just have to be careful and know what to look for. I was riding the carriage of this mill and setting blocks at 12 years old. I think you just have to have respect and make sure your tail guys are paying attention.

Plexiglas will shatter like glass...
Lexan is a much better choice.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Gearbox

This may be a little off topic . I just got a call from my off bearer on a club mill I run . He asked if I would take time to teach him to run the stick end. He was nice enough not to imply that I was getting old . He has been around mills since he was young and loves to work . When he started he told me not to back off he would keep up . I LIKE THIS GUY .

Wallee

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 15, 2017, 09:02:24 AM
Quote from: Wallee on January 14, 2017, 11:08:51 PM

Note taken!

Plexiglas will shatter like glass...
Lexan is a much better choice.
Note taken!

Wallee

Well guys I had to work a few bugs out this first part of the week. Had to get a rpm gauge and check rpm and have the saw hammered to match. Turns out saw was dished and didn't show up until I put a oak log on the deck. Sweetgum and pine didnt make it rear its ugly head but oak sure did! Saw smith fixed me up today and we sawed 6 ties at the end of the day with success! Now to tidy up the edger and grease everything in the morning and see what we can get done tomorrow! Pics to come!

4x4American

I kniw it's early but how many ties you think you can saw on an average day with that some buck vs what could you with the mizer?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I am proud of the work that you have done Sir.   smiley_thumbsup   8)

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 18, 2017, 05:59:15 AM
I kniw it's early but how many ties you think you can saw on an average day with that some buck vs what could you with the mizer?
Lt28 I was getting 25 in a 8 hour day with edging on the mill and various other mill activities. I'm averaging 12 ties a hour this first week!!!! 8)

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on January 19, 2017, 10:00:44 AM
I am proud of the work that you have done Sir.   smiley_thumbsup   8)
Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Stop through when you head this way again!

4x4American

Holy cow, thats a huge inprovement in production!  I've given thought to a circle mill myself.  I'd have to keep a much bigger log inventory.  I can't believe you were edging on the mill, hats off to ya!  And yea man, killer job on getting that sawmill set up.  You done good!
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 19, 2017, 08:28:20 PM
Holy cow, thats a huge inprovement in production!  I've given thought to a circle mill myself.  I'd have to keep a much bigger log inventory.  I can't believe you were edging on the mill, hats off to ya!  And yea man, killer job on getting that sawmill set up.  You done good!
I love the circle mill vs. the band for cant production! However I'm highly considering trading the band mill in for a resaw now!

4x4American

For doing pallet lumber?  I really like the looks of that baker a model with lasy susan turnarounds.

Today I was really wishing I had a circle mill when I was fighting half frozen beech.  It was a beech of a time.  Half frozen anything and a bandsaw can be aggravating.  I did however find a blade that would cut it and I just got back in from making more that hopefully will cut.  See with a circle mill I wouldn't have these late night sharpnin seesions, just sharpen it right then and there when it's dull.  But then you get into hitting hardware and all that
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 20, 2017, 11:06:06 PM
For doing pallet lumber?  I really like the looks of that baker a model with lasy susan turnarounds.

Today I was really wishing I had a circle mill when I was fighting half frozen beech.  It was a beech of a time.  Half frozen anything and a bandsaw can be aggravating.  I did however find a blade that would cut it and I just got back in from making more that hopefully will cut.  See with a circle mill I wouldn't have these late night sharpnin seesions, just sharpen it right then and there when it's dull.  But then you get into hitting hardware and all that
Sharpening the circle saw vs. bandsaw is cheap and waaaaay less of a pain. I can hand file in 15 min and saw all day. Soon as I get a grinder and swap to carbide bits it will be even better. And no waves at the slightest knot lol. But on the bandsaw side I have to say the kerf is its best advantage. I want a resaw for pallet wood and to turn lumber out of cedar cants and such!

4x4American

I hear ya.  I was really hating bandsaws yesterday cutting half frozen beech into ties. 
Boy, back in my day..

Gearbox

Wallee got a market for slabs yet . At that rate your  slab pile will grow fast . Welcome to the saw mill merry go round .

Wallee

Quote from: Gearbox on January 22, 2017, 10:34:38 AM
Wallee got a market for slabs yet . At that rate your  slab pile will grow fast . Welcome to the saw mill merry go round .
Hopefully adding a chipper real soon. Slabs get in the way fast!

Wallys World

Wallee, how has it been going lately? Hadn't seen you post in a while and was just wondering!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Thank You Sponsors!