iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommend small saw for older guy?

Started by John Mc, April 13, 2018, 11:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savannahdan

I like the MS201 in the video.  My main line up includes a Husky 3120xp and Makita DCS7901, both too large for what he needs, and an Echo CS210.  The little Echo is a workhorse and will does a great job for me on smaller projects.  Most of the time I grab the Makita and that's only because the Husky is used for ripping and has a long bar on it and the Echo is in a box and I'm too lazy to pull it out.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

wild262

Quote from: brianJ on April 14, 2018, 05:46:23 PM
People need to learn to be responsible for there own actions  @wild262 You are not in favor of payouts for very hot coffee?

Lol :D  :D.   Nope :)

HolmenTree

Before my time but back in the day pulp cutters up here were running Stihl 07 and 08 saws which technically are top handle saws. Now try and cut one handed with those . :D

I've owned many pro grade Stihl and Husqvarna top handles over the last 20 years and still do to this day. But I never run them on the ground as their completely useless to me on the ground.

My saw suggestion for the OP of this thread is the Stihl MS241CM pro grade magnesium cased lightweight powerhouse.....with a consumer grade low price.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sprucebunny

I like my MS 193s. Good balance, lightweight, good power and medium price $370.
They oil well, start easy and have been more dependable than the 180s. 
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

upnut

I can highly recommend the Stihl MS241CM from personal experience. After putting 5 gallons+ of fuel thru mine a few things stand out including excellent ergonomics, ease of starting, power to weight ratio, and consistent smooth idling. The air filter is very easy to access remove and clean and the M-tronics has functioned flawlessly. I started looking for the smallest saw with a compression release and have not been disappointed with this one for ease of cranking. Running this saw side by side with home owner grade saws the pro anti vibe system is noticeably superior, and at 64 yrs old much appreciated. I started running chainsaws with my Dad's beastly old McCulloch, followed by some Homelite XL's whose anti-vibe consisted of a thin layer of chrome. My first Stihl 028 was a dream come true and this 241 puts them all to shame... ;)

Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

trapper

upnut in reply 29 expresses my experience with the cm241   My echo 310 has been flawless always starts easy but a bit too small for general use/  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

gspren

For those with the 241 what is your favorite bar length and chain? At 66 I appreciate the lighter saw but still like some power, the 241 sounds impressive.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

upnut

gspren- Mine came equipped as recommended, the 63PS3 55 chain and 16" bar. 

Scott B.

MAF143

I'm a fairly heavy casual user that heats with wood and have a hobby sawmill.  I'm totally happy with the MS-250.  Light and powerful without breaking the bank.  And I prefer the old fashioned carbs.

For the bigger stuff and cutting logs into firewood, the MS-391 comes out to play, but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day.

I'm not a pro, just a weekend and evening cutter in our own woods.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

mad murdock

For the O P, i would not discount the better models of electric saws. With a couple spare batteries they are nice. No fuel mixing, no pulling etc. Pull the trigger and go. A friend of mine uses a greenworks saw with either a 14" or 16" b/c and for anything other than a felling saw, says it is a go to for him for use around the mill and lighter duties. 
Maybe a 3 Saw solution would be good for your friend an echo for those times when you need more power or endurance, and a battery electric (decent one) for all the rest. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sablatnic

The best would be a Stihl MS241, a can of orange paint and a few Husqvarna stickers.
And I say that as a Husqvarna fan boy!

HolmenTree

The MS241CM sold in North America is made in Virginia Beach USA.
Good for the country's economy 

John Mc

As I mentioned earier, I don;t think a pro-level saw is in the card for this guy. I agree the MS241 would be a nice fit, but I don't see him shelling out that much for a saw.

So I guess the question is, are any in the range of the Husky 440 or the Stihl MS211 or MS250/251 really dogs or maintenance hogs, or are they decent midrange saws?

No good Dolmar dealers in my area. Not sure about Echo. I'll have to nose around a bit for them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

Just send him to lowes then.  Theyre all decent until they break.  
Praise The Lord

Savannahdan

Another consideration is purchasing a used saw.  I recently picked up an electric Makita chainsaw from the Home Depot rental shop.  They post their offerings on the Home Depot website and you do need to check with the store about the availability.  The saw I purchased had little use works great and is in excellent condition.  Also, you can do a certain amount of haggling with them on the price.  The largest gas saw they have in the rental shop is a Makita 6401.  
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

TIDE-HSV

I'd like to 2nd or 3rd the idea of one of the battery-operated saws. I have two older Stihls - 026 and 019T. I just purchased a Husqvarna 372xp. I'm 78 but I wouldn't recommend the Husky for anyone in their 70s and worried about weight. However, I bought a Stihl MSA 120C and I've been delighted with it. I think it will put the 019 permanently out of business. I've cut up to 8" with it so far and I have no doubt it'll go up to the full 12" of the bar. It's got a lot of torque. It's light and I find myself pulling it out for small jobs I'd normally put off and aggregate until I gassed up the saw. With the little Stihl, it's just check the bar oil and go. I did purchase an extra battery but, so far, I haven't needed one...
"I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." Albert Camus

starmac

My grandad had his right hand cut off, when he was  young man and was getting in bad health way back in the 70's. At the time he wound up with an electric saw (110 volt) they were not much back then, but he cut a lot of firewood with it. The newer cordless technology will make the new electric saws look better and better for a lot of our uses as we age.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

upnut

I agree, sold some other saws and ended up with a 241/120 combo, so far it has worked out well...

Scott B.

TIDE-HSV

Quote from: starmac on April 16, 2018, 03:45:43 PM
My grandad had his right hand cut off, when he was  young man and was getting in bad health way back in the 70's. At the time he wound up with an electric saw (110 volt) they were not much back then, but he cut a lot of firewood with it. The newer cordless technology will make the new electric saws look better and better for a lot of our uses as we age.
The new battery saws seem to turn up just about as many rpms as a small gas saw. The old corded saws which I've seen didn't turn up many rpms at all. Except for the lack of noise, I could forget that I'm using an electric saw with the 120...
"I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." Albert Camus

Gary Davis

I have a friend that is about 75 he up graded to  sthl 660 with a 32 in bar and still using it on a regular basis, and another friend that was running my ms 460 with a 32 in bar when he was 90 he couldn't start it but loved the way it cut

teakwood

The 250 is a good and durable saw, i know lots of people who have them
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Yep the little MS250 is a robust little saw from experience I had when I set one up for a treework customer.
Customers big complaint was it was hard to pull the starter rope, and he was in his 40s.

knuckledragger

DDW_OR

Quote from: John Mc on April 16, 2018, 10:26:30 AM
As I mentioned earier, I don;t think a pro-level saw is in the card for this guy. I agree the MS241 would be a nice fit, but I don't see him shelling out that much for a saw.

So I guess the question is, are any in the range of the Husky 440 or the Stihl MS211 or MS250/251 really dogs or maintenance hogs, or are they decent midrange saws?

No good Dolmar dealers in my area. Not sure about Echo. I'll have to nose around a bit for them.
did a quick search for Echo dealers near zip 05473. there are a lot
the Echo 310 is light weight and starts easy.
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!