iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northwest Montana Plant I.D. Please

Started by Mark with a K, July 02, 2019, 03:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark with a K

Hi all, thanks for having me.

I have a 10.5 acre wooded lot west of Kalispell and I've started developing it.

I have a quick question if anyone here knows... what are the plants I have circled in the photo?  If I need to provide more zoomed in pictures, I can.  

Thank you!

Mark with a K

Well I can already see the photos don't post as large as they are originally... sorry, just got started here.  I'll try to put some more zoomed in versions.

doc henderson

a close up would be great, but it almost looks like poison ivy so not too close.  cannot separate the leaves with the plants.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I was going to say the same as Doc, it looks like Ivy. That garbage seems to do well just about anywhere. Close ups would help👍 Not too close though!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Mark with a K

Thanks guys, hopefully this works better:

doc henderson

I am now seeing two diff. plants i think.  the three leaved plant almost looks like a strawberry leaf.  hmmm.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Mark with a K

Quote from: doc henderson on July 02, 2019, 03:40:59 PM
I am now seeing two diff. plants i think.  the three leaved plant almost looks like a strawberry leaf.  hmmm.
Yes they are two different plants, I cannot I.D. either of them at this time.  The serrated three-leafed one I feared was poison ivy, but I can't tell.  The other one with rows of side/side leaves are all over the place but I have no idea what they are.
Thanks!

doc henderson

the serrated one may be poison oak.  i have not seen sumac but the second one is close.  

Mark with a K

Quote from: doc henderson on July 02, 2019, 03:44:49 PM
the serrated one may be poison oak.  i have not seen sumac but the second one is close.  
I thought maybe, too, but, neither Poison Oak or Poison Sumac are found in northwest Montana.  Poison Ivy is occasionally, but not usually in this area.  
Here's a pic of wild strawberry, which it might be (the serrated one), but I am not physically there right now to check for fruit, etc.  

doc henderson

yes i just looked and it is claimed that ivy is the only one in montana.  Univ. of Montana Cathy Seibert was quoted in an article.  If you want to be quick, call the university.  some times you will get the run around, and sometimes in 5 seconds you are speaking with a local expert for your state.  you can also call poison control.  You can find someone who can review you pics.  We have many great foresters and I am sure when they way in, they will tell us what it is and why.  or if you have a local extension office or forester.  what is the scat from?

doc henderson

If you have many questions, folks on FF love to work this out.  there are also apps for your phone to ID leaves.  welcome and best regards.  keep checking back for more info.

btulloh

HM126

Mark with a K

Thanks guys... I appreciate it. I know the columned leaf plant isn't poison ivy but I can't figure out what it is using my not-so-great Google-Fu.

Good idea about calling local forester or University.

DelawhereJoe

Poison sumac is a small tree, has a compound leaf with lots of small leaves on it, think of a walnut leaf but 1/2 - 1/3 the size with 7-13 leaflets on it. It also has a seed cluster that should be a reddish color that grows from the end of the branch. If I find any sumac I just treat it as if its poison and don't touch it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

firefighter ontheside

Does the three leafed one have little thorns?  Leaves look like strawberry leaves.  Could be rough cinquefoil.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

BuckeyeAaron

The three leafed one looks like raspberry to me.

Not sure on the other.  Almost looks like some kind of Oregon grape but the leaves dont look stuff enough.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Mark with a K

Thanks guys... I'll check for thorns next time I'm on site.

Mark with a K

Ok after further searching, looks like the 3-leaf plant is Tiarella Trifoliata (known as threeleaf foamflower, sugar scoop, or laceflower:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiarella_trifoliata

Looks like the columned leaf plant is a variant of wild sarsaparilla (Aralia nudicaulis).  I still can't really tell but it's the closest I've found so far:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aralia_nudicaulis

BradMarks

I would have to disagree.  Still looks like wild strawberry to me for the first one.  On the second one, it looks like leathery leaves, along the lines of a salal or Oregon grape, but I do not think it is either one of those. OG has more elongated than round leaves and more distinctive "pokeys" (my 4 yr old Granddaughter's term). Salal has no thorn type edges. The sasparilla picture provided does not look leathery at all.

Mark with a K

Quote from: BradMarks on July 03, 2019, 02:12:33 PM
I would have to disagree.  Still looks like wild strawberry to me for the first one.  On the second one, it looks like leathery leaves, along the lines of a salal or Oregon grape, but I do not think it is either one of those. OG has more elongated than round leaves and more distinctive "pokeys" (my 4 yr old Granddaughter's term). Salal has no thorn type edges. The sasparilla picture provided does not look leathery at all.
I think you might be right... I found a better picture of Montana wild strawberry and it looks to be an exact match.  Here:

The second one is still driving me crazy... the place is covered in it, it's everywhere.  I would have thought it would be easier to identify.  I'll keep digging.
Thanks!

BradMarks

According to my N. Idaho/W. Montana contact, he says the second one is Oregon Grape. I'll go along ;D

reride82

Mark,

The top photo is definitely a wild strawberry, and they won't always bear fruit. It kinda depends on the year. The bottom photo, I'm not sure. At first I was thinking huckleberry, but the leaves are a little too serrated.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Mark with a K

Quote from: BradMarks on July 09, 2019, 10:15:18 AM
According to my N. Idaho/W. Montana contact, he says the second one is Oregon Grape. I'll go along ;D
Thanks BradMarks I'll look it up and confirm it.

Mark with a K

Quote from: reride82 on July 09, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
Mark,

The top photo is definitely a wild strawberry, and they won't always bear fruit. It kinda depends on the year. The bottom photo, I'm not sure. At first I was thinking huckleberry, but the leaves are a little too serrated.

Levi
Thanks Levi, I appreciate it.

saskatchewanman

The Oregon grape berries look a little odd. What do they taste like? :D

Thank You Sponsors!