iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lifting/Skidding Tongs Recommendations

Started by kyjondeere, July 30, 2018, 11:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjondeere

I'm wanting to buy some tongs for skidding and lifting logs onto the mill.  Any recommendations on brand and vendor are appreciated.  I prefer to "buy once, cry once" and would rather stay away from cheap imports.  Also, would prefer to purchase from a site sponsor if possible.  Thanks in advance.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000, John Deere 5083e, John Deere 5075e, Kubota L3240, Stihl MS 461, Stihl MS261CM, Load Trail 16' Dump Trailer

bwstout

home built mill

Sixacresand

I bought my first tongs at a cheap tool outlet store in Pigeon Forge, TN for about $30. I bought another one for about twice the price.  Both work well with my log arch.  I have to hammer in the tips to get a adequate grip.  The really good quality tongs don't need to tap the tips.  They are also very heavy.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

stihltoomany

Most log tongs are not rated for lifting so if you are going to use them for that be very careful which ones you buy
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Rhodemont

I have Labonville 25inch with chain hook.  They were expensive and I see the price has gone up more but I rate them as going to last a very long time.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Magicman

Way back "when" I bought  "Northern" tongs.  The first big log twisted it and it is no longer usable.  Junk.  I would shy away from them or HF.  I bought my tongs that I use from an industrial supply house.  I have no idea what Tractor Supply has.  Shipping would be a bear.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Cheap import tongs are dangerous and don't work very well.  Most I've seen are not even big enough. Same with cant hooks.
HM126

Larry

About 20 years ago I bought a set from TimberKing that have worked well over the years.  I never use them to skid but constantly use them plucking logs from trailers that have sides.  Usually I hang them from the tractor FEL and drag the logs off the trailer than a short distance.  I like them because the points come close enough together than can almost pick up a twig than go to 30 plus inches.

I assume these are the same ones I bought, as they look the same.

32? Log Skidding Tongs

I have another set that I got a few years earlier at an auction.  No name and they could have come from a small blacksmith shop.  They also work good but the points only close down to 10-12" so they can't pick up the small logs.  I only use these for lifting big chunks onto the log splitter.

Like most tools, sharp ones work the best.  Sharpen the points when you get them and when they get dull.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Outbackrider

bandmiller2

One little tip spray them with a ugly bright color so you won't misplace them in leaf litter, the ugly part is to discourage theft. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Crusarius

if it doesn't discourage it makes it easier to get back later :)

JB Griffin

Peavey mfg. makes tongs rated for lifting as well as another company or two who's names escape me, they ain't cheap last I looked avg. going rate was $600+
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

bandmiller2

I just checked out Peavey Mfg. theirs a small difference in price between lifting and skidding tongs which tells you they are the same except for the cert. test. If you hire help or work anywhere where OSHA may show up by all means have the tag. A prudent worker never lets himself be in a position to be injured if tongs loose their grip or fail. Frank C.

bandmiller2

If I recall I bought my tongs from Belsaw many years ago. I have a short length of chain and grabhook on mine, with some practice you can hook and unhook from your tractor seat. Frank C.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have a set on a boom pole on my tractor. More skidding than lifting but I am very happy with the setup. With some practice you can load a trailer with the tong and then spin around and finish the job with the FEL. Once home I can skid them off the trailer. Works well for me. Just dont ever trust the pole or tongs. Keep yourself and any helpers out of harms way at all times!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

moodnacreek

When you get your tongs don't loan them out. Even if you get them back they will be  straightened out. Most people lose them in the woods. Also don't let them swing on the back of the tractor so they can hook a tire.

Brad_bb

I bought Dixie Industries lifting tongs(Orange).  Good quality.  They sell through various retailers.
Remember that lifting tongs and skidding tongs are different.

Here's the problem, if you have a forklift or forks on another loader, that is what you will likely end up using to load logs on the mill.  So I very rarely use my lifting tongs.  The only time is when I have logs on my little 12ft trailer and I need to unload to get the logs over the fenders without crushing them.  That is not often though. As far as skidding, that can get mud or rocks in the bark which is bad for your bandsaw blade.  I have 2 log arches from logrite.  I have used it/them a few times and has been handy when needed, but it has not paid for itself yet. I get most of my logs from a guy who brings them to me.  I had to use the arch when I had to go cut Osage myself and load them on my trailer (cause no one logs Osage for milling around here but me).  I also twice had really long ash logs for beams that I moved with two arches, both from neighbors properties.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Geeg

Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

UncleMoustache

Has anyone made their own lifting tongs?  The price is awfully high for good quality, but perhaps with some good steel I can fabricate something decent.

I had a 3500 pound 30" diameter oak log today that the tractor could barely lift.  Wrapping a chain around either end of the log is very time consuming and difficult.  A pair of heavy duty tongs would be just the thing.
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

RussMaGuss

whatever you do, don't get the dual tongs from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. As soon as a big log wants to rotate, that pin in the middle will shear right off and the whole thing will break--I found that out the hard way :). Nowadays for unloading my trailer I put a 4x4 post perpendicular to the logs before they get loaded so I can slip 2 straps under either end of the log and lift it with my telehandler/skid steer. It seems a lot safer/more stable than tongs.

doc henderson

if using a chain, you need dunnage on the trailer and can make beams to stage them on.  here is the log cooler we made for a party last year.  the parts we cut out became the feet.

Swedish candle in the background.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

if you use logs on forks and put on the mill, if they are big and get rolling, it can move or damage your mill.  I mostly use a grapple but smaller 12 inch or less logs, I roll them off the forks.  I have lifted and placed with single tongs, but then it is a two man operation, and if something goes wrong, someone is near the log.  I leave the loader near the mill to move flitches and waste, and or boards and beams, especially if I am milling for a friend and plan to load directly back on the truck or trailer.
tongs are great to pull off a trailer and or pick out of a pile of logs.  I try not to let the logs contact the ground, so do not skid.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

pineywoods

I've made a couple of log tongs. Big problem is finding adequate raw material. Best source i found is your local truck junk yard. Steering tie rod makes fine tongs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jovol

Lifted this 28" dia 16' red oak with the roughneck 36" lifting tongs from NT. Tongs held up great. Crane had to work hard.

2017 LT50 wide, stihl ms362 & ms660, echo cs7310, Logrite fetching arch, 2000 New Holland LS180, Ford 6.0, kubota L48, kubota KH-70, Ford F800 8.3

Thank You Sponsors!