iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another pricing thread? Really??

Started by UncleMoustache, April 10, 2021, 08:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleMoustache

First of all, I know that prices fluctuate according to location and supply/demand, and what works for you may not work for me.

But I would like samples of what you charge (boardfoot preferred, but if you have other methods, go for it).

1. price for milling logs belonging to others
2. BF price for selling lumber – fresh off the mill                        (yes, different prices for different species)
3. BF price for selling lumber – stickered and air dried
4. BF price for selling lumber – kiln dried
5. BF price for selling lumber – graded and stamped
5a. I'm assuming the grading/stamping process can be done at any of the above stages, but I've not looked into it at all. If so, then perhaps you could add additional prices for all of the above categories.

6. If you pay for logs, do you average out the cost of the log per board foot and adjust accordingly, or does your price just naturally swallow that in profit?

If you have a website with your lumber prices on it, just chime in and I'll take a look at that.

If you want the background for my question, my mill is stationary, and I have just a bit use for the lumber and slabs. But it's on the property of Restoration Ranch, which has need for lots of lumber, and I mill for them for free. (I also do a bit of milling for customers who bring in logs, or I can transport for a fee). They also plan to sell slabs and lumber, and we split the profits. We have a fair bit of room for air drying, and one (so far) solar kiln which we plan to use to finish off the air dried stuff.
I do a bit of tree work so I can bring in a few logs. The ranch has several acres of timber, and we've got connections with tree services in the area who bring us good logs when they can. Working on connections with other companies.
Yes, I know many of you look down on yard trees (for many good reasons), but at the moment I don't mind, as I'm still in the learning process of how to do all of this. I've learned a lot from you all!

Thanks for you help.
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

WV Sawmiller

Uncle M,

I have my prices listed on my website with the link under my profile details on the left. These are general prices and several items I often waive - such as relocation of site fees. It is often faster and easier for me to just move the mill to second site than wait for the customer to move the logs so I don't penalize him when it is to my benefit.

I have just started some square inch pricing on some trimmed out walnut and will likely do more of that with some other slow moving species. Special pieces will still command special prices. I have some very large walnut slabs that I price for double my normal walnut because they are rare and hard to process. They are worth more.

I rarely saw on shares but will for good wood that I have a need for I sometimes will do so. One thing I have learned is for sawing on shares the customer needs to bring me the logs to saw here as I found I end up with too much time, handling and transport costs sawing at their site.

I'd say the critical things in sawing is clarity, consistency and flexibility. Be dang sure the customer understands and agrees with your pricing technique. I have said many times all pricing methods are fair as long as both parties understand and agree to them and they are followed as quoted. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

I also have a Sawmill Fees page on my website (on the left under my photo).
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

Uncle M,

I see I only provided part of answer as my prices on my website only address sawing. I do sell some green or partially air dried rough lumber. I do not have a kiln. My rates for the various lumber and live edge boards/planks I have, when I have it, are:

Poplar & Pine $.75/bf
Oak, Maple, Spruce, Ash, hickory $1/bf
Basswood $2/bf
Cherry $3/bf
Walnut $5/bf (I have one big 10' long walnut tree I took to a slabber and cut into mostly 9/4 LE slabs and sell it for $10/bf. I am also selling short trimmed, air dried rough walnut boards for $.05/square inch or $.10/square inch if I plane them.)

The only trees I will normally go cut on my property are tulip poplar or Norway spruce (From an overaged Christmas tree patch on my place) so the rest, when available I was given, sawed for shares, or salvage. Most of my hardwoods are more valuable to me for my wildlife than the price I would get for them as lumber. Very rarely do I buy a log but if one jumps out at me I might. The same is true about sawing on shares.

I also sell a few rough primitive benches, birdhouses, tomato stakes, raised planter boxes, old fashioned rabbit boxes, bus stops/deer blinds, simple crates, cookies, etc.

I have a supplier who will provide poplar and help me saw it for large orders and I split the sales with him. This seems to be working well so far.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!