iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing project 2023

Started by customsawyer, January 03, 2023, 04:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 31, 2023, 09:31:23 PM
I just went and checked, those gadgets are about 3 bucks and in stock locally, so I will have to stop there and suffer the Saturday hordes at HD when I do my next beer run and grab a few of those and some dewalt crayons to try them out. I see they have Yellow also, I never thought of it before, but I but that will show up better on bark than red. I might try those too.
I wanted to follow up on this, just so it's written down and in a year I can come back and see what my opinion was. ;D
---------------------
So I got two of those pencil pulls and replaced them with short crayon stubs. The pulls are a no-brainer gotta have choice. I will get some for spares as I am bound to lose them eventually. They've popped off a few times but I found them easily.
 The red dixon crayons stay in not problem and work just fine. But I also bought some dewalt yellow crayons to test and they are noticeably softer. Turns out they are so soft, the rubber on the pencil holder seems to compress the hex shape into a round and they slip out easy when one attempts to mark something. Also they seem to break easy, but they do mark better and are easier to see on logs. Used it a bunch today for marking mushroom logs and the breaking and slipping out all the time was a pain. The red dixon held up perfect and never slipped out but the mark was hard to see on the bark. I thought about Jakes tip of using crazy glue to hold the thing in the rubber, and I didn't have any, but I put a wrap of electrical tape on a new piece and worked it in. It seems to be holding much better. I had put that new section of crayon in just bare, laid it on a board and watched it force the crayon out all by itself in about a minute. With the electrical tape, it held in.
 So the jury is still out on the Dewalt crayons, but those pencil pulls are a real winner. When I switch back to woodworking in the shop, I may even try one on a pencil. :D 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

After 40 plus years of keeping a pencil over my right ear tucked under hat, I switched to a pencil pull on my nail apron suspenders.  

On my current building project, I've reached for my pencil over my ear 100 times.  

I'm having to adjust to a better way, it's just hard to break a habit.

So far I lost fewer pencils!  That's s plus. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Ted, I hang these things on my right hand pants pocket and I have reached for them over a hundred times in a few a weeks and I love it because I never have to look. I haven't done the 'pencil behind the ear' in several decades because it doesn't work with lumber pencils (at least not on my ears) and I never tried it with a crayon, but for sure I would lose that sucker in the woods in about 5 minutes. :D
 Using a regular pencil, yeah, I would shove it over my ear and up into my hat band, but I would often stab myself in the head during the workday at some point. :D I like these pencil pulls, gotta get a few spares.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Hard to overcome that old muscle memory. ;D

A definition:

Muscle memory is a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, the brain creates a long-term muscle memory for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed with little to no conscious effort.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

I keep one on my tool belt with a pencil in it, for when I'm working on projects. I got in the habit of hooking mine on my shirt or coat right breast pocket. The main reason for this is that I was walking along the long mill, marking boards at close to that height, 90% of the time that I was marking with it. Just became a habit. If I stuck it somewhere else I wouldn't be able to find it. The last ones I ordered I think I got them direct from the company that was on the back of the HD package. Been so long ago that I can't remember if I saved anything or not. It did let me bet a bunch of them and just stick them in a drawer with some other parts. I think I have 10-15 left. Which will probably last me my lifetime. When I was sawing in Hazelhurst I would go through one every couple of weeks, due to the thread would start cutting into the plastic and eventually break. Big difference when you go from making around 50 marks on each log to less than 10 marks a day.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

Jake never thru me under the buss but when he sawed the pine flooring for our new house i sent him 2 packs of boards , when i came to get then he informed me that i was used to sawing for siding on houses or barns and not flooring .He caught hell with his molder , i got it and the next pack he was fine ,i guess i learned . I learned something from a find friend. 
al glenn

trimguy

Curious to know what you mean, sawing siding versus flooring ?

Dan_Shade

I'm guessing that flooring requires tighter tolerances than Siding to be efficient. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

scsmith42

Moulder's don't like a wide variety of widths or thicknesses.  When we're milling flooring blanks we mill for consistent widths and thicknesses.

Even with doing so, we will run them through the edger after drying in order to have a really straight blank to put through the moulder.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

trimguy

customsawyer

As Scott said, the tolerances on flooring is a lot tighter than siding. There are things you can get away with when sawing siding that won't make a flooring board. Paneling is a little more forgiving than flooring but not much.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!