iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM CBN blade shapener and dual-tooth setter?

Started by Bibbyman, March 08, 2010, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

For us, sawdust isn't a problem, nor is the cold, at least not for the sharpener or setter. But bear in mind we dry grind. We don't take enough off that it heats the blade up. Its not unusual to get 6-10 grinds out of a blade, providing we pull the blades based not only on dullness, but hours run.
Either way you go, I think the grinding technology is so much better, plus the setting, than the early days,  that you will find its a lot less work to do your own grinding than do all the packaging and mailing of blades.

ElectricAl

The further away your sharpener is from the sawmill the bigger the drag it will be to sharpen.

When we were portable I sharpened in a yard shed behind the house.
I really dreaded rain days because I knew I'd be stuck out there fixing 50 or more blades.

Keep it close and sharpen and saw. Or sharpen and clean. Then again you could sharpen and load logs.
Heck you could even sharpen and talk to Mary's Old Fart Customers. When the blade stops tell him you have to get back to work.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

backwoods sawyer

Bibbyman, I saw a cooks sharpener and double tooth setter set up back to that that the arm over lapped each other. The sharpener was set higher so that you ran it standing up and the sharpener was set lower so that you could sit while setting the teeth. This set up really minimized the space requirements. In addition, it was tucked under an over hang near the head of the mill. But then again the weather is a bit milder here as we just got what some are calling our first snow of the season, but it is hard to call a skiff of snow, "snow". ::)   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodmills1

I taught Kathy to set and she did 2 blades and gave the job back to me

my sharpener is in the house as we have freeze issues
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Does anyone have the WM dual-tooth setter?   Auto? Manual? Comments?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customdave

Bibbyman, I phoned woodmizer dealer in Salmon Arm B.C. this week because they got one in for customer & they got to play with it for a couple of days first. The boys there were very impressed with this new machine, they were little sceptical from watching the video, but impressed physicaly setting up & using this machine!. I know they work for woodmizer & their object is to sell, but my dealings with them , I have know doubt they are very honest boys, not pushy salesmen! On their word I would have every confidence in buying this machine. They set it up both ways ,crank manual & motor driven, both worked excellent! I know it sounds like a lot of money but the value is there seeing it is a quality machine, they sold me on it, & I'm not an easy sell. Anyways have a good day....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

logwalker

I have the Cooks Cat's Claw sharpener and use it dry. I put a garage sale 110v timer on it and it runs itself for 5 minutes and stops. I sharpen a couple days a week when I am in the shop doing other things. Sharpening is very satisfying for me.

I use the Dina semi-auto setter and get good results in just a minute or so. If you get one PM me and I will give some pointers on it. It took a while to learn how to use it properly but now I like it. It is very fast.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Bibbyman

Well,  Today Mary and I asked Sparks to send us out a CBN sharpener w/oil and 7° wheel. 

I've not figured out where we're going to put it yet. 

We've got several boxes of 7° blades that have been sharpened a couple of times.  They're about due to break.  I'll start with them and try to get by without a setter for awhile.   
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

customdave

Right on Bibbyman, keep us informed on how you like the CBN machine, very interested in your thoughts of this grinder! Take care....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Papa1stuff

I think you are going to like it and bet you will have a setter very soon probably the auto one ;)
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Bibbyman

I have mixed feelings about going back to the old "grind".  I'm hoping it's not as tedious and boring as I remember with the old drag grinder.

I may be able to grind the blades a time or two before I have to set them.  Like I mentioned,  we have 45 or so 7° blades that have been resharped at least twice.  They rejected one on the last go around for being too narrow.   So.. There is not much of a loss in starting with these.

As for a setter,  I'd like to go with the WM dual-tooth setter – auto feed or not.  But that's a pretty big item to swallow right now. 

Maybe there will be one come up on the used market?  Or I can score an old-style single tooth setter at a reasonable price?  But my memory tells me as bad as I disliked grinding,  I downright hate setting the teeth.  And that was the part that I probably didn't do well.

You think I could send my blades to ReSharp to have them set after I sharpen them?
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

Sharpen twice , then send them out the 3rd time.
Bill

ElectricAl

We sharpen twice before resetting normally, but sawing mud requires more grinding to get the corner sharp thus grinding the set out.

P.A. RESHARP

Bibbyman, i think you will enjoy the cbn grinder, it is a whole differant grinding system, over the old drag style. Your 7* 045 calls for a 25 set, if i were you i would get them to set them at 26 or 27 set if you were going to wait a couple times in between to send them back for setting. Some people want up to 30 set. I wouldnt really recommend that high. Have fun       p.a.

Bibbyman

Quote from: WH_Conley on March 18, 2010, 07:33:30 PM
Sharpen twice , then send them out the 3rd time.

If we had stuck to .055 blades (or go back to them) maybe I could sharpen a couple of times and then throw them away.  We went back to .045 blades to get more resharps and they do last through many more resharps – but then again, on our E25 mill, the .055 blades cut hard and big stuff better and faster and tend to saw a good bit longer. 

I've pretty much turned off learning anything about blade sharpening since we've went to ReSharp service about 10 years ago.  I remember there were two camps on setting blades.  Some set the blade before sharpening and others set afterwards.  The advantage of setting before being that you wouldn't have to worry about deburring the blade. 

Does the CBN sharpener leave the same kind of burr on the tooth tip?
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Well,  according to UPS tracking the CBN grinder is in Kansas City, Kansas.  I know UPS knows what it's doing but if they trucked it from Indy to KC, they came right down I70 within 20 miles of us.  They also passed up our UPS area distribution center in Columbia, MO by about 2 blocks.  Now they'll have to haul it about 200 miles back east to Columbia and then send it out about another 45-50 to us.

We had a sale orphan lumber this morning that we had stored in our red shed.  We pulled it off of sticks and got it ready.  This left an opportunity to consolidate and rearrange some lumber behind where I part the large Terex.  Plenty of room for the new sharpener. 

But I've got a question..  I remember the old stone grinder tended to rooster tail out some crap out the back.  Where I plan to set this up in front of a stack of lumber against the wall.  Do I need to cover this stack?  Or move it or something to keep it from getting slopped on?
Sawing since '94

logwalker

Bibby,

I think you might run into problems with the plan on not setting. When you get down into the tooth after several sharpenings you are in a softer part of the blade. It is only the tip of the tooth that is hardened. I have noticed that it is harder to keep the set in a tooth on an old blade. So the blades wil be sharp but they won't cut as straight as you want. A dull blade can cut straight if it has the proper set.

I hate setting too. I started with a simple single tooth setter and it took about 20 minutes per blade. After I got a Dina setter it became an almost enjoyable exercise taking a couple minutes per blade. And as long as you adjust it correctly to begin with, you get a very passable result. The key is too set it so the same amount of tooth is being set by the anvil. Too high or too low will give an inaccurate result. The other problem you can have is trying to use other brands or types of blades and getting mixed results because of the difference in band body stiffness. The shortcoming of the Dina is you can't easily measure the results. The key is too pick a blade type and run it exclusively.

So based on price and results I am satisfied with the Dina. Our forum supporter Bailey's is the importer.

Joe

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Bibbyman

Quote from: logwalker on March 19, 2010, 11:49:40 AM
Bibby,

I think you might run into problems with the plan on not setting. When you get down into the tooth after several sharpenings you are in a softer part of the blade. It is only the tip of the tooth that is hardened. I have noticed that it is harder to keep the set in a tooth on an old blade. So the blades wil be sharp but they won't cut as straight as you want. A dull blade can cut straight if it has the proper set.

I hate setting too. I started with a simple single tooth setter and it took about 20 minutes per blade. After I got a Dina setter it became an almost enjoyable exercise taking a couple minutes per blade. And as long as you adjust it correctly to begin with, you get a very passable result. The key is too set it so the same amount of tooth is being set by the anvil. Too high or too low will give an inaccurate result. The other problem you can have is trying to use other brands or types of blades and getting mixed results because of the difference in band body stiffness. The shortcoming of the Dina is you can't easily measure the results. The key is too pick a blade type and run it exclusively.

So based on price and results I am satisfied with the Dina. Our forum supporter Bailey's is the importer.

Joe

Yea,  I know.  We just have to take it a step at a time.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used one at a good price or have to find an old-style single tooth setter and deal with that for awhile.  I've been looking here on the For Sale section and on eBay, etc.

Maybe Mary will get me one for Christmas?

Got a spot to set it up all cleaned out.  'Least I got that done... 8)
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I just check UPS tracking and they're taking it further west!  It's in Lenexa, Kansas now.  :-\
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 19, 2010, 05:45:14 PM
they're taking it further west!   :-\ 

Bibby....Maybe you live in the wrong place...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

P.A. RESHARP

You should have went out and intercepted the ups truck, when he came within 20 miles. 

Bibbyman

Quote from: P.A. RESHARP on March 19, 2010, 06:21:43 PM
You should have went out and intercepted the ups truck, when he came within 20 miles. 

Know what truck that it was on would be the problem.  I don't know how many go up and down I70 every day.  Down somewhere near West Plains there is some level of UPS distribution.  Sometimes when I'm down there you can see a half dozen delivery trucks in a convoy.
Sawing since '94

Kansas

If it gets another 80 miles west of Lenexa, looks like I'll have a new sharpener.

backwoods sawyer

Bibbyman you could set up a gauge to check the set so that you are not guessing if you should send it in or resharpen it again. Anyone have a picture of a simple jig like this?
I hope it keeps coming west I will send my old one back your way if it dose. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!