iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Varicose veins procedure done today

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 28, 2024, 06:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

So, as the title says, I had a procedure done today to help me with my varicose veins.

Not fun having my leg wrapped up like this, with a thigh high compression sock over it.

Jim Rogers20240228_095642.jpg
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

barbender

I've got some nasty varicose veins on one leg (I could do pictures like MM) they don't hurt or anything. They just look terrible. Otherwise I would probably do something with them.

I hope the healing process is quick and painless for you, Jim!
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jim_Rogers

Thanks guys. The bandage will come off this morning at 10am. But compression sock has to be on for 7 days. Not fun at all.

Jim Rogers

doc henderson

see what your doc says, but you may do well to wear comp. socks anytime you are upright to counter the venous pressure produced by gravity on the column of fluid in your body.  the pressure at the ankle if you are over 6 feet tall, is the same as the pressure at the bottom of a 6-foot-deep area in a lake, or the bottom of a dam 6 feet tall.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

looking at the pic, those are ace wraps, and they are tighter than socks would be.  you will have to be fitted.  walking is better than standing.  It is the contraction of muscles in the calf that helps propel blood and fluid back to the heart.  it is the pressure on the thin-walled veins that produce dilatations, call varicose veins.  arteries have muscle in the wall and can withstand pressure going out to the muscle.

YellowHammer

What kind of procedure is it?  Laser? Electric?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

commonly done by general surgeons is referred to as a 'stripping".  I have never seen it done, but effectively they isolate the problem vein and make an incision at the top and bottom say in the calf, and then pull the vein out through one of the incisions.  there are both superficial and deep veins.  small veins can enlarge to account for the missing vessel, that was acting more like a lake than a conduent anyway.  It is in the superficial veins that are only supported by skin, and not deep in the muscle.  If they bulge bad enough, they can bleed.  It looks like a pin hole in a hydraulic line and shoot a fine stream of blood say 5 feet.  I one pat. whom he and his wife were both squeamish around blood.  We got the pin hole suture over and stopped the bleeding.  but they did not hold pressure on it.  The wife shoed us a picture of a bag the just held under it at home, with what looked like a quart of blood in it.  no_no one little finger would have stopped it.  He passed out later and turned out he lost so much blood, he required transfusion.  He almost bled to death.

doc henderson

How varicose vein ligation and stripping is carried out (youtube.com)

there is also radio frequency ablation and also injectable sclerotic agents. and prob. many others.  most of these you can find an explanation on Dr. You Tube!

Jim_Rogers

I didn't watch the procedure. I had to lay back in a very awkward position, and my back was hurting because I didn't bring/wear my back brace.
I'm not sure what wire or instrument he used, but he zapped the vein that wasn't working correctly, is what I was told. And this forces the blood to find another vein that is working correctly.
I hope this will help me overall. 

I cut the bandage off this morning at the 24 hour time. And I only saw one small spot where the put a band aid on my leg just below my knee on the inside of my leg.
After cutting of the bandage, I put the compression sock back on. And I have to wear it for 7 days 24 hours a day. Taking off only to shower.

Jim Rogers

doc henderson

"zapping" approximates the radio ablation I would say.  you can find info on YOU TUBE.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jim_Rogers

Ed_K

Jim, that sound's awful. I hope you don't have to do that again, get feeling better soon.
Ed K

doc henderson

Jim, just because you might be wearing compression hosiery, does not mean you have to wear high heeled boots! ffcool ffcheesy ffsmiley

Jim_Rogers

I had both legs done. Had ultrasound Thursday to check for blood clots, no clots and good flow up my veins now.

Jim Rogers

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!