iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

who has a warm air wood stove/furnace and who makes it

Started by mountaineer, March 04, 2008, 02:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer

looking to get an indoor warm air wood furnace. wondering who makes them and do you like/dislike them thx .

Brian_Rhoad

I have one in my shop made by US Stove Co. I bought it at Tractor Supply. It is about 10 years old. I never had any problems with it.

http://www.usstove.com/

Paul_H

I had a Valley Comfort MP80 woodstove as a oil/wood forced air combo back in the 80's which I really liked,then I built another house and it had a Duomatic Olson wood/electric combo which I didn't like.When we raised this house,we installed another Valley Comfort MP80 wood/electric forced air and I like it.

Valley Comfort MP80
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

arj

I have a Newmac combination wood oil furnace. Replaced the original with a new
one after 30 years. If I was younger would have gone with an outdoor furnace.
The nice thing is the new one is the same as the old one, just jack up the the sheet
metal and slid the old one out, and the new one in. Had it running in less then 2 hrs.

arj

isawlogs

I have three of them , two are wood electric

• Newmac in the shop
  • Surefire in the house in Chelsea

• I got to go and check the brand name

I have ben satisfied with all three of them . I had to do some rebuilding on the Newmac after 20 years of service .
  I bought the Surefire because my dad had one and it was a little smaller and put out as much heat and it is a little easier to clean then the Newmac .
  This one was in the house here when we got here , it is 15 years old and like new yet . [/list]
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Grawulf

arj and Marcel,
I've also got a Newmac but have never been really satisfied with the heat output - I would think that the draft fan would just get the fire roaring but I have to run the manual draft open too just to get decent heat. You guys have similar problems?   Devan

mountaineer

just heard about a new one, a daka furnace anyone got one of these or heard of it?

treenail

I too, have a hot air wood furnace made by U.S.Stove that I bought at Tractor Supply about a dozen years ago. Have only used it occasionally , as I have another heating system, but with the oil prices heading up, it probably will come out of retirement,
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

musikwerke

I also have a Newmac wood burning hot-air furnace.  I like it a lot.  I installed it around 1980 and the only problem I've had was the corroding through the bottom of the heat exchanger near the flue connection end.  I think this was mostly my fault as I installed a humidifier on the cold air plemum and I think that caused the creosote to condense.  I patched the tender places with a combination of formed sheet metal plates, muffler cement and high temp RTV.  Haven't had any trouble since plus I've stopped using the humidifier.  I bought a used later model Newmac to have as a backup and the newer ones have a heavy wall pipe from the firebox through the cold air plenum section instead of the welded sheet metal rectangular tube design.  Maybe other owners had this rot-through problem? or the change was simply a cost cutting mod?  The wood only furnace has no grates which makes cleaning out the ashes slightly more of a bother but it holds a bed of coals wonderfully.  I rarely have to start a fire from scratch in the Winter months.  My house is 24 X 36 cape style cedar log and it keeps it toasty warm.  The basement stays at 65 to 70 as I have registers in the side of the hot air plenum.  I burn about  4 + cords of wood per year.  I will add that now, for the first time, being home recuperating from a surgical bowel resection, I might be inclined to change it out to the oil / wood Newmac even though I have electric baseboard for backup.
John

isawlogs

Quote from: musikwerke on March 09, 2008, 01:38:52 PM
I installed it around 1980 and the only problem I've had was the corroding through the bottom of the heat exchanger near the flue connection end. 

That's the same thing that happened to mine . I did not have a humidifier so don't be blamming yourself for having put it there  ;) 
I am sure it was a flaw in the fabrication , a few years later they had changed to outlet to a staight pipe out from the fire box.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

arj

I can run mine with the draft fan off after there is a good bed of coals. Over night
on cold nights it burns down enough so the oil burner will start, but leaves enough
coal to get the fire going with some kindling. I seam to get more heat when the
ash level is kept low. The combination wood / oil doesnt have grates either. I try
to clean out ashes (and hot coals) when theres less than a 5 gal. pail full. The first
one had short bars welded to the heat exchanger on the wood side, had to weld
back together several times. I plan on taking it completely apart and fixing any
cracks in the exchanger, and using it in the preposed new wood working shop.
If I live long enough.
                                          arj

mountaineer

i have decided on the newmac oil /wood combo. it seems to be the best unit for the price. unfortunately i have to get it from p.a. since that is the closest distributor. now i just have to pay for it......      :'(       andy

musikwerke

Yeah, I could not buy my Newmac from the local plumbing / heating distributor.  I had to purchase it from the mom and pop stove shop a few miles away.  It was okay for me to go to the distributor and pick it up though.  I contemplated driving to Canada and paying the duty it irked me so.
John

SwampDonkey

Fawcette/Enterprise here, they make'm in Sackville, NB. We had a combination wood/oil then one each side by side wood and oil for backup. It's never cold here. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mountaineer

ok just checked fuel oil prices yesterday. 3.55$ per gallon. i have changed my mind and are now gonna find the best wood/electric combo any ideas? what are the fuel oil prices where you all live?    andy

Thank You Sponsors!