iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coming back east; TradeNW wood for E species

Started by mhughes, June 16, 2004, 09:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhughes

I'm new to this forum.  I noticed that alot of you are from the East.  I am planning a trip out to Vermont to pick up a piece of machinery.  Thought it would be neat to trade some wood.  I've never been back East and am curious about your trees and how they cut.  I couldn't bring logs out, as I won't be bringing a trailer.  But, I could bring something in board form that could fit in the back of the pickup.  Or anyone interested in selling a couple of logs?  I'll be bringing a trailer back with me that I could haul them on.

David_c

when are you comming out here and what part of VT. also what kinds of wood you talking about yours and ours

mhughes

we're not exactly sure about when we will be coming out there but hopefully within the next couple of weeks.  what kind of wood do you have out there?  We have Doug Fir, Western Cedar, Big Leaf Maple, Alder and Madronna mostly.  We won't be able to bring logs out but we could bring some paneling or flooring possibly.  Our plans are still up in the air at this point.  Do/would you sell logs?

Rob

Out here in NH we have White Pine , Red Pine ,White Oak , Red Oak , Poplar , Hemlock , Spruce , Sugar Maple , Red Maple , plus many more..

Rob

Ed_K

I'm right on the Vt boarder in Ma. 10 min for the main hy rt91 that go up thru to canada. Stop in I'll trade with you. You can pick thru the piles. What are you picking up for machinery?
 If you have room, I know where there is a antique circle mill real cheap  ;).
Ed K

mhughes

Thanks for the replies.  Do you guys have hickory out there?  We may not be able to trade anything.  We may have to drive our car as far as E. Oregon and then drive my father in laws pickup the rest of the way.  So not much will fit in the trunk of our car.  But, I would be interested in buying some logs.  We are buying "The Wheeler".  They wanted 3,000 to deliver it so I figured we could make the trip for that and also get to see the country.  I'd love to bring a load back with me though.  Plans are still up in the air though.
Mike

Kirk_Allen

I have plenty of hickory I would swap for some Western Cedar.

The wood is located in Kansas, IL but I might be able to bring a load back with me to our home in Algonquin, IL.  

If you taking the route through Chicago let me know.  Im only 10 minutes north of Interstate 90.

Mark M

I have some really nice cottonwood I'll trade for just about anything. ;)

mhughes

In order to tow The Wheeler home we will have to take my Father in Laws pickup, which is in E. Oregon.  Not real confident in driving my old Ford that far.  We are in W. Washington so we will have to drive our car to Oregon and swap there.  We could fit a small amount of Cedar paneling or something like it in the trunk.  So, it looks like we won't have much in the way of trading stock.  But, would any of you want to sell some logs?  I'd like to come back with a mixture of logs.  Let me know what you would want for them etc.  I'm pretty much open to anything new.  
Mike  

Bruce_A

Mike, if you coming down I-5 to Oregon, holler.  I might have a nice piece of Oregon Ash in the shop and maybe a few pieces of 1x4x4'  cedar fence boards which might grade no,1 or clear.  Second growth, of coarse.   Bruce

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

C_Miller

I'm on I-86 south of Rochester if you want stop by.  I-86 to!88 to Albany is cheaper than the thruway and just as fast.  I've been looking at trailer/loaders. and I might have a job for you. to see how it works.  

C
CJM

Engineer

I'm in Shaftsbury, Vermont, about 40 minutes east of Albany in the southwestern corner of Vermont.  I have sugar maple, ash, soft maple, eastern white pine (loads), cherry, beech, white and red oak, and I'd say, if you have something in particular you want, I'll go cut one down for ya.  All in log form, or I have most of that in board form as well.  Not a commercial mill, just me with a Wood-Mizer hangin' out in the yard, but I have more logs than time right now.  I also have a few cherry and ash trees that I need to cut down, so the logs will be fresh sawn if you want 'em.

What have you got for western species?  I'd love to trade for a truckload of alder or some western red cedar in 8/4 thickness.

Also, a couple nice big chunks of madrone burl or quilted bigleaf would be worth a log or two to me.  Anything that can fit on a lathe or can be cut to fit.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!