iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Racoons

Started by Blake22, December 26, 2016, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake22

I have really bad coon problem at all my deer feeders.  Anyone else having this problem?? 
I've trapped a few...not gaining any ground tho.
Blake

Texas Ranger

Baked coon and sweet taters, back to the old days.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DelawhereJoe

.22 mag or a .17 hmr with a red dot sight and a few of the solar led security lights set up. If you have hogs too, well step up according.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Blake22

I can sell all I kill or catch...  Its just hard to kill nocturnal feeders.
Blake

Blake22

I do have a hog problem. Slowly working on them too.
Blake

DelawhereJoe

Do you have a trail camera set up at your feeders, if so you should be able to see when the little fuzz balls come around and spent a night or a few nights removing your problems. Maybe try some T shot from closer range and get a few with 1 shot. With the hogs maybe wait till you get 2 lined up and use something that will pass cleanly through both....not the most recommend...but it can work.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

thecfarm

Kinda like gray squirrels that come to the bird feeders. Shot 4-5 one day and shot 4-5 the next and shot 4-5 the next,it never stops.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I have a trail camera on one of my feeders and getting lots of coons at it. I have seen them at my other one at dusk. My hide buyer is not buying them this year so I have not trapped or killed any. They aren't getting that much of my corn. I am seeing tracks in my barn around my mule trough. I need to set a live trap and catch and let them go and let Sampson chase and tree them.

Doves and turkeys are wiping me out.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Blake22

I do have trail cams out.  Just checked 2 of them.... the coons come & go all night long. Had 12 on corn pile in one pic.  I don't mind feeding the coons but with them there all night I can't tell what anything about the deer. I'm sure I'm missing pics of good bucks.
Blake

LaneC

There is a huge demand for them for the Super bowl. A lot of folks like to grill them while watching the game. I used to give most of them away when I coon-hunted but have not been able to in a long time. they will not go to waste. Even if you want to give them away, they will be eaten, and the folks you give them to will be happy. Just say around at the feed store or something, that you have some to get rid of and 'they will call".
Man makes plans and God smiles

Peter Drouin

Eat the thing,  steve_smiley  You guys got to be kidding.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

LaneC

Yep :D :D. They usually serve them with sweet potatoes and they say they are good. I personally do not eat them, nor have I tried them, however a lot of folks are happy to eat them.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Blake22

I can sell or give away as many as I can catch or kill.  I have eaten some a few times.... pretty good but I don't make a habit of it.....
Blake

WDH

I only had coon once.  I would rather eat spoiled sauerkraut.  But, all sauerkraut is spoiled, right?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

You Southern guys sure do eat some odd stuff,grits,collard greens,racoons,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WDH on December 27, 2016, 03:29:27 PM
I only had coon once.  I would rather eat spoiled sauerkraut.  But, all sauerkraut is spoiled, right?

I'll agree with you there, although I'm not sure sauerkraut can spoil.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Never tried one baked with sweet potatoes. When we first married my wife cooked a big old boar coon as a roast in a brow-n-bag like a neighbor had told her. It was so bad the dogs wouldn't eat the taters off of it.

We have taken young coons and boiled them tender and used the meat to make hash (fried up 5-6 diced taters with a big chopped onion and added the meat and seasoned it good) and that was good. Made BBQ out of one one time that we took to a church party and it went over big. (Till one lady figured out what it was and after 2-3 sandwiches nearly got sick thinking about it.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LaneC

There are a few glands that have to be removed before you eat them. I am sure you removed them :D :D :D.  Wait a minute, grits and collards don't have a dog in this fight :D :D. Nuttin rong wit grits and collards ;D

LaneC

I like the CA mount. worked with them all my life. A lot of good folks, as long as they are "registered" :D

DanG

I et some coon one time. Ol' Earl Williams(R.I.P.) brung a grill to work one day and cooked some for us. It weren't all that bad, but it ain't something I would go out of my way for.  You can get good money for a dressed coon in certain parts of Tallahassee, but you gotta leave one foot on to show that it ain't a house cat.  ;) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Blake22

Quote from: LaneC on December 27, 2016, 09:01:02 PM
There are a few glands that have to be removed before you eat them. I am sure you removed them :D :D :D.  Wait a minute, grits and collards don't have a dog in this fight :D :D. Nuttin rong wit grits and collards ;D

You're right about those glands. "musk glands"   They're about the size of a pea located in the leg and shoulder joints.
Blake

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on December 27, 2016, 07:55:52 PM
You Southern guys sure do eat some odd stuff,grits,collard greens,racoons,
Nope, I do not eat raccoon or collard greens, and I have not eaten grits since tonight with my supper.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

You don't eat collard greens????  You gonna lose your Southern Gentleman card if you don't watch it!  ::) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

doctorb

Brazen little buggers.  One night, I watched one sitting on a picnic table as my friend approached.  The coon just sat there hissing at him.  Didn't move when he tried to shoo him away, so he hit him on the head with a long-handled flashlight.  Coon just slowly walked away.  Never tasted racoon.  Have no great desire to do so.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!