iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where to start?

Started by Lazy logger, August 14, 2014, 02:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy logger

Anybody out there have advice on where/how to start milling a log that has a bow to it?  Bow up,Bow down, or to the side.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

New Brunswick

To the side at 2 or 10 o clock is what a older sawyer told me...but I am far from a pro and still learning every time I mill.

Lazy logger

I'll give that a try. I too am new at this and am learning alot as I go. Seems like the more I learn the more I have to learn. Thanks.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

Delawhere Jack

Usually start hump side up, take  slab and maybe a couple boards. Roll 90deg open that face, then roll the "horns" up and open that face. Roll another 90deg and start taking boards. You'll isolate the tension in the boards across the width, so that the boards tend to remain flat.

It the cant starts to lift from tension, rotate 180 degrees. Repeat as needed.

Chuck White

I usually saw logs with bow, placing the bow left to right or vice versa.

But I have cut the horns and then the hump or vice versa.

I don't think it really matters which method you use, but do both opposite sides before turning the log for the 90° cuts.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Lazy logger

Thanks guy's, I will try these methods this weekend. Hey Chuck I am a fellow way upstater myself I am in Chase Mills. Glad to "meet" you.

bandmiller2

Logger, with a really bowed log your scrawd to start with. If its long sometimes you can cut it in half and get two reasonably straight logs. I'am still waiting for a log straightener option for bandmills. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Been there, done that Frank!  ;)

Lazy logger, likewise I'm sure!  smiley_beertoast
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Not sure how you are turning your logs, this said I usually saw bow side up as best as I can and  I call it good,   Mainly because the sweep if bad will allow the turner to get too far under the logs and want to lift the log.,  I get the horns out of the way right off the bat.  If the sweep in not to severe, I will start the cut with the sweep, or narrow section to the turner. Make a straight face, then take the horns off.  Just remember, with a sweepy log, keep an eye on how the log reacts, and figure out the best way to equalize the stress relief.  It can be tricky and aggravating.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I try to saw a log with sweep with the pith in the center of the cant.  I lay the log on its side like a "C" and open the first face.  Flip 180° and open the opposite face.  Then flip with the hump up and open that face.  Then flip 180° and open that face.  Now, the log is roughly squared into a cant, and the pith is in the center of the cant, although the pith is not straight end to end.  Now I saw boards from these last two opposite faces.  At least the pith in the center of each board.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

This has been described many times here and there are always different opinions about which face to open first, etc. 

Personally I would rather that boards bow rather than crook, so my final saw through is from either the hump or horn side. 

I lay the log on it's side with the horns toward the loader and open the first face.  The horns come off on the second face opening, the other side next, and then the hump and saw through on the 4th face opening.  I turned a couple 180° today for the 2nd face opening as WDH described above.  No matter, the saw through was still from either the hump or horn face.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

my simplest explaination, how ever you start, just remember once its in cant form ready to saw down thru it that the imaginary curve is either up or down on the mill bed,your lumber will be straight both edges but, might hump up or down which is very easy to work with.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on August 14, 2014, 08:52:59 PM
This has been described many times here and there are always different opinions about which face to open first, etc. 

Personally I would rather that boards bow rather than crook, so my final saw through is from either the hump or horn side. 

Where you start is not as important as where you end, I start by dehorning the log but end as MM does.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

I've gotten old and cantankerous and don't mess with crooked logs anymore. If someone brings one in I give him the end of a rope and I get at the other end of the log it becomes very apparent the losses and the wasted time. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Lazy logger

Thanks for all the great info! I am still turning with a pevy so it looks like I have some work cut out for me this weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!