Sponsors:

Dangerous Cats in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Started by Shotgun, March 10, 2005, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Hey Chet,

Dis your friend? Watch out for dem dangerous cats up der.   ;D

Mar 10, 7:55 AM (ET)

BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A man cooking in his kitchen was shot after one of his cats knocked his 9mm handgun onto the floor, discharging the weapon, Michigan State Police said.

Joseph Stanton, 29, of Bates Township in Iron County, was shot in his lower torso around 6 p.m. Tuesday, the state police post in Iron River reported. He was transported to Iron County Community Hospital.

Michelle Sand, a spokeswoman at the Iron River hospital, said Stanton was treated there before being transferred to Marquette General Hospital for further treatment. But Marcie Miller, a representative of the Marquette facility, said there was no record of the hospital receiving a patient by that name.

A telephone message seeking comment was left Wednesday at Stanton's home.

State police said he was cooking at his stove when the cat knocked the loaded gun off the kitchen counter behind him.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Paschale

I heard about this on the news.   ::)  I guess it's OK to laugh, since the man's alright.  But if I ever needed a good reason for me being a DOG guy, and not a CAT guy...well, this little subterfuge by that cat has revealed to me their true intentions:  they're interested in being the boss.  Watch out all you cat owners--this is the harbinger of the cat revolution.  Save yourself!  Lock up your guns and go get yourself a real pet. :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

I think everybody knows everybody in Iron River. Chet is in Minniehaha but on the way home.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Notice that the cat waited for the man to turn his back, before making it look like an accident!  Right!   :D
Say when

sigidi

Man that is so funny - especially as no-one got hurt
Always willing to help - Allan

farmerdoug

Remember that cats do no kill people, Guns kill people. :D :D :D :D

Shotgun, I assume you spend the winter in Florida, but fill in your location and let us know where you spend the summer.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

chet

Never did trust dem sneaky DanG cats.   :-\   I've made it a point not to teach my dog how to shoot just in case.  ;)

Shotgun,
As it turns out, this guys parents are very close neighbors.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Percy

Whaddya suppose he was cookin that he needed a loaded hand gun on the kitchen counter???? Grits mebey?? :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

chet

I was thinkin' more along da lines of he was thinkin' self protection from da cat.  :-\ 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

:D :D :D Good one Percy, maybe the cat was afraid he would get fed the grits.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

If I was that guy I would make it a point of doing the ....   **  eye for an eye   **....  thingy to the cat ....  ;D ;D  or should that be a lead for a lead ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Percy

Quote from: isawlogs on March 11, 2005, 11:45:03 PM
  If I was that guy I would make it a point of doing the ....   **  eye for an eye   **....  thingy to the cat ....  ;D ;D  or should that be a lead for a lead ...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

maple flats

I've got no chance, this may be my last post. HERE'S THE PROBLEM, WE HAVE THREE CATS IN OUR HOUSE AND I DO HAVE GUNS ALSO. Sure will make sure I don't leave one where a cat can get it, BUT I've heard they can be sneaky. Better watch the one I had to scold a few days ago! 8) 8) 8) ;D :D 8) 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Roxie

Say when

Grawulf

I wonder...........when he went to the hospital, did they use a CAT Scan to find da bullet.....................well, SOMEBODY had ta say it   ::)

Jeff

Quote from: Percy on March 11, 2005, 09:27:58 PM
Whaddya suppose he was cookin that he needed a loaded hand gun on the kitchen counter???? Grits mebey?? :D :D :D :D

I can GUARANTEE that NO ONE in Iron River Michigan, was cooking grits.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Well I have six cats but all of my guns are kept in a gun safe.  But to tell you the turth I have one cat that tries to get into the gun safe whenever I open it.  ::) She must be trying to arm the others. :D :D :D
Doug
Fargo, MI

Ron Scott

Some are wanting to take some action against cats. ;) But maybe not a good idea. ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7159170/
~Ron

WH_Conley

I rember as a small boy reading in my uncle's old outdoor magazines (early 1900's) that some states required small game hunters to kill house cats when encountered in the wild because of how they destroyed the small game.
Bill

Buzz-sawyer

I have to comment on the pending legislation to ALLOW the killing of wild cats.

I am A life long conservationist and animal lover (they are deliscious...I love em).

As late as the 1930's maybe latter, domestic cat skins were sold in the fur trade.
Ferral cats ,hands down kill more wild life than any other predator in the U.S.

I have seen case studies of the amounts of young birds, song birds and mamals killed by one cat during the course of a single year...and it was in the many hundreds if not thousands.

If you have cats you know they are peculiar ,in that other than the odd human ,  cats are the only common animal that kills and tortures other creatures for amusement.
So, thier actual body counts are really high.
Ferral cats, are those that reproduce in the wild, and there are many millions of them in the woods of our nation. I blame careless owners, who release them into the wild , for the most part.

While hunting I often see a cat hunting edges, where I used to see a fox. The cats are edging out many predators as well as the animals they hunt.
These cats will not get within 100 yards of a human and are as wild and fiece a fighter as you will see.
I am not pro ferral cat.  ;) :)

"Mark Smith, a 48-year-old firefighter from La Crosse has proposed that hunters in Wisconsin make free-roaming domestic cats an "unprotected species" that could be shot at will by anyone with a small-game license.

His proposal will be placed before hunters on April 11 at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress spring hearings in each of the state's 72 counties.

"I get up in the morning and if there's new snow, there's cat tracks under my bird feeder ... I look at them as an invasive species, plain and simple," Smith said.

Smith's proposal has horrified cat lovers, but is seen by others as a way to stop cats from killing wild birds.

University of Wisconsin-Madison wildlife ecology professor Stanley Temple, who trapped more than 100 cats and analyzed their stomach contents during a four-year study, has estimated that between 7.8 million and 219 million birds are killed by rural cats in Wisconsin each year."
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

pigman

All of this talk of cats with guns and killing cats has gotten me worried. My wife taught our cat to read and he has been reading all of the above posts over my shoulder. I think I will lock up the guns now. ;D

Bob- the keeper of daughter's cat
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Corley5

I generally like cats, good cats anyway.  Mom's got some nice big American Shorthairs (barn cats).  Dee brought a kitten home for Zach the summer before last and it wasn't a good cat.  It didn't like the litter box, only cat I've ever seen that would pee on a bare floor and it wasn't spraying, and whenever it went outside it headed directly for the bird feeders.  I told Dee on several occasions after finding the remains of chickadees or pi** on the floor that she had to find a solution or I was going to take care of the problem >:( :(.  I came from work one day to the remains of a house finch on the steps and five minutes later witnessed the killing of another chickadee.  I tried to catch the go* da** thing, really, with the thought of taking it to animal the shelter but it had been caught before and eluded me until it finally hid under the grill.  It didn't know enough to run when I came back out after a trip to the gun safe >:( :( :(  That was on Friday and Miffy wasn't even missed til Monday and when Dee asked about the cat she was sure she had seen it on Sunday but still wanted to know what I'd done to/with it.  I haven't seen it since Friday Honey ;) ;) ;)  I've seen feral cats in the Pigeon River State Forest miles from any human habitation and each time if I'd have had a gun the problem would have been lessened.  The good thing is that coyotes, foxes, hawks and owls are death on cats 8).  That's not good if it's a pet but if it's feral it sure it is and as my Grandpa Bob used to say "They make new cats everyday" ;) ;D ;D ;D  Now if it tried to kill me it'd better get it right the first time ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paschale

Quote from: Corley5 on March 12, 2005, 07:25:35 PM
It didn't know enough to run when I came back out after a trip to the gun safe >:( :( :( 

Takin' matter into yer own hands!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

farmerdoug

Quote from: Corley5 on March 12, 2005, 07:25:35 PM
I tried to catch the go* da** thing, really, with the thought of taking it to animal the shelter but it had been caught before and eluded me until it finally hid under the grill.  It didn't know enough to run when I came back out after a trip to the gun safe >:( :( :( 

How did the grill fare from the shootout? 8) 8) 8)
Around here we have more problems with dogs.  The coyotes, hawks, and eagles keep the stray cats down.
Doug
Fargo, MI

Phorester

If the guy hadn't been such a lousy cook, maybe his cat wouldn't have shot him.

Thank You Sponsors!