iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about hydraulic top link choices

Started by btulloh, August 29, 2021, 08:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

If you're real adventurous you could just buy a ram and weld some ends on it and and so forth. More fun than I want right now.
HM126

Southside

My green tractor has Pioneer and JD couplers on the remotes, my IH has "old style" IH connectors on the remotes - I have a 5 gallon bucket full of adapters.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

btulloh

A final update to close the book on this . . .

I got the AMA top link through TSC that I referenced a few posts back. Ship to store for free. Actually arrived in 2 or 3 days (a lot of other sources for the same cylinder were out of stock).  Also got their hose kit, 36", pioneer couplers, proper thread at cylinder end with right angle, nesting ends.  Included copper crush washers.  All in all a very complete combo, nothing else needed (except a few navy words that always help installation lol).

Been using it for a few months.  Works great, very beneficial, very happy with the cylinder and hoses all at a decent price.  Made in Italy - at least it's not Chinese.
HM126

stavebuyer

Quote from: btulloh on January 20, 2022, 09:59:30 PM
A final update to close the book on this . . .

I got the AMA top link through TSC that I referenced a few posts back. Ship to store for free. Actually arrived in 2 or 3 days (a lot of other sources for the same cylinder were out of stock).  Also got their hose kit, 36", pioneer couplers, proper thread at cylinder end with right angle, nesting ends.  Included copper crush washers.  All in all a very complete combo, nothing else needed (except a few navy words that always help installation lol).

Been using it for a few months.  Works great, very beneficial, very happy with the cylinder and hoses all at a decent price.  Made in Italy - at least it's not Chinese.
This thread motivated me to get the TSC toplink. Same experience as you except mine arrived at the store the day after I ordered. Appears well made. The initial trial was with the pto winch and it is rock solid. Great convenience for not much spending. 

Wlmedley

Being you have a new tractor with new valves check valves should not be needed but unless valves on tractor have circuit reliefs there will be no hose or cylinder protection if overloaded.Check valves wouldn't protect against overload either,if cylinder drifts when spool is in neutral either cylinder is bypassing or control valve is worn.You should be fine.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Dan_Shade

@btulloh how is your top link holding up?

Did you have to modify it to fit on your tractor? 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

btulloh

No issues. Really couldn't be happier with the way it's holding up. Love the ability to adjust on the fly. I did have to grind a little off the ball end for clearance at the tractor end. The bushing at that same end needed to be ground down from 2" to 1 7/8". Both of those are because the mx5400 is a bit non-standard at the tractor end of the top link. No big deal though. Really pleased with top link and hose kit from TSC. 

I want change the lift link to hydraulic now.  
HM126

customsawyer

I have been using hydraulic top links on my tractors for over 25 years. Maybe it's just my tractors, but I've never put a check valve on any of them. I've hung the planters up in tree stumps and broken the pin end off the end of the ram a few times but have never had one bleed in or out. I'm also not a hydraulic guru so I tend to get by with things that aren't supposed to work.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

John Mc

I've had my current tractor for 22 years, and had a hydraulic toplink (as well as a hydraulic side link) on it for about 20 of those years. It's just a plain cylinder, no check valves. I get by without them, but if I ever do this again, I'll definitely get one with the double piloted check valves.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Mine came with the check valve. For sure, couldn't (wouldn't) do without the hyd. top link. No use for the side link, with the tools and attachments I use. Roots and rocks on my woods trails keep me from using a back blade to ditch them. 

Before painting.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I suspect that a top link check valve is now a (safety) requirement such as the "fuse" on the sawmill loader hydraulic cylinder.  It would prevent unexpected movement if a hose burst.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!