iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flashlights and batteries...

Started by DMcCoy, January 03, 2022, 10:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

12" of snow and naturally power outages.  "Where are the *DanG flashlights?"
My wife just showed me her "Flashlight settlement check" from a class action flashlight lawsuit. This was for the Costco 3 pack of Duracell flashlights that contained a battery draining feature, drained the batteries while the flashlight was OFF.
To top that off they have the audacity to put "#1 TRUSTED BRAND" on their battery package.
So this AM I disassembled my little flashlight and sure enough corroded batteries.
Then it hit me - I have never seen a corroded battery in the bulk package.  Only after sticking them in something and using it do the batteries start leaking. I have makita and DeWalt flashlights with which I have never had a leaking battery issue.  I get their is a quality difference but still...
Clever little schmucks!  
After working for duracell I'm sure you are qualified to work for Pfizer.

Ianab

Quote from: DMcCoy on January 03, 2022, 10:47:00 AMAfter working for duracell I'm sure you are qualified to work for Pfizer.

Keep it up, and you might snag a job at Theranos V II.  ;)

I'm looking at my new NeverReady pocket torch, and wondering what the catch is, ???

It's a little 4" long aluminium thing, I assume Lithium battery, USB charger, and it's Freaking bright. As in, put your hand over the lens, and it feels warm in a couple of seconds. Apparently if can keep that up for ~3 hours, 6 hrs on "sensible" power. And it has "help I'm lost" Strobe that would trigger epilepsy in most people. 

Of course it could also burst into flames. 

In the interest of science I had a big stack of hedge trimmings to dispose of. Would have cost $100+ to haul to the transfer station, so a friends farm seemed a better plan. Some lithium laptop batteries and magnesium laptop cases got some action going. Yeah, not "approved" disposal. ;D

The reason they don't want those batteries in "general rubbish" is because they tend to set fire to the rubbish trucks as they get "scrunched". Then you have a truck load of flaming rubbish. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DMcCoy

My irritation with corroding batteries is justified imho.  'Appearances' are that these batteries start leaking once they have been used a little - not while they are in their retail packaging.  Counting on these for emergency use is incredibly irritating.  If they can intentionally create a battery draining flash light - why couldn't(wouldn't) they create intentionally leaking batteries.  I can afford better flashlights but what about people who can't?  Imho they are getting sheared like a flock of sheep, not that this should really surprise me.  They may be patting themselves on the back in the board room but if my suspicions are correct I find it disgusting predatory behavior.
I'm going to put my $ where my mouth is.  $50 is a lot for a Milwaukee Li flashlight but after tossing so many other flashlights where the batteries have leaked I'm getting off the gerbil wheel.
I still have my 40 yr old big, clunky, makita flashlights and they still work.  Some new LED flashlights will be nice.
Creative disposal!  Mg burns insanely hot.

mike_belben

make the switch to 18650 rechargable battery devices with USB port rechargers.  dont wait. yes theyre all made in china and yes they are cheap.  but they are better than anything else and the current price is subsidized.  the price will rise and rise and rise. 

youll probably break or lose the light before the battery dies.  DX.com is probably the cheapest largest selection, and that comes with the caveat that you are buying direct from china instead of buying from the american company that bought them from china.  if there is a flashlight literally made in america its gonna be too expensive to risk losing. american CNCs are turning out higher value product than flashlights and thats just all there is to it.  
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Best flashlight I've ever owned (and I wouldn't be without my Wave, either):

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

btulloh

What Mike said. Whether 18650 or a smaller version, usb rechargeable lithium is the ticket these days.  Lots of good choices too. 

I've ruined a lot of stuff with leaking batteries. Mostly inexpensive stuff - 20-30$ bucks, but it adds up and it's also not available when needed. My problem is mostly with occasional use items that the batteries go dead. Dead batteries in a device almost always lead to leakage.  Lithium maintains a charge better and doesn't leak. But they can catch on fire, but that's not typical these days.
HM126

HemlockKing

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 14, 2022, 01:25:08 PM
Best flashlight I've ever owned (and I wouldn't be without my Wave, either):

Headlamp leds and I'll never go back, just a headband holding it on you head, A1 for doing mechanic work, or doing anything in the dark..
A1

Hilltop366

Took a leaked & corroded Duracell AA battery out of a package this week, the "good until" date was 2025 on it. 

The battery package was open and one battery was missing, it's unlikely but I can not be positive that someone had not put a used or dead battery back in the package.

There is a 1-800 number on the package to call, it says that they will repair or replace (their call) any devices damaged by a leaking battery. I just threw them in the garbage.

btulloh

Speaking of headlights - sort of new thing that is similar to a head light - the neck light.  Adjustable angle on the lights. Better than a headlight for some things, or use both. The older i get, the more I like lights (for some reason).  These are available pretty much anywhere you might find a headlight.  Nice tool. This one is rechargeable. 

HM126

newoodguy78

I recently saw an electrician using one of those, really worked slick. 
Said he prefers it over a headlamp because the brim of his hat always was in the way. 

Magicman

Quote from: mike_belben on January 14, 2022, 11:42:19 AMmake the switch to 18650 rechargable battery devices with USB port rechargers. dont wait.
I have been using the 18650 platform for several years.  Best and brightest flashlight that I have ever had.   thumbs-up

Question:  Why is this topic in the Restricted Board??  smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Good question. I will investigate
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Well, it appears it was started here. I will move it. Just a thought, but If you are accidently starting legit topics in the restricted board on the forum, it might mean you are spending to much time in there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom King

If it needs to fit in a pocket, it's an 18650 powered 1000 lumen one.  For years, they were only available with aggravating five way switches.  When they finally came out with single function switches, I bought a bunch of them.

If it doesn't need to fit in a pocket, this is the one that gets picked up.  It will shine a Long time with a 5 or 6ah battery.

Amazon.com: Makita DML812 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Cordless L.E.D. Flashlight/Spotlight, Light Only : Everything Else

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

samandothers

Quote from: btulloh on January 14, 2022, 04:37:21 PM
Speaking of headlights - sort of new thing that is similar to a head light - the neck light.  Adjustable angle on the lights. Better than a headlight for some things or use both. The older i get, the more I like lights (for some reason).  These are available pretty much anywhere you might find a headlight.  Nice tool. This one is rechargeable.
Had an old one similar that uses 3AAbatteries and regular flashlight bulbs.  Kinda handy but not real bright.

Walnut Beast

I've had surefire 300 dollar flashlights to everything in between. They are all worthless to me. Years ago I learned from a friend that was working on a car with a headlamp that once you try it you will never go back. I've done more crazy work by a headlamp than you could imagine. In all weather conditions. The best headlamp I've found is Coast that's simple one button on front on/off, adjustable brightness on back and lightweight, very bright and cheap. 36 bucks and cheaper on sale. 

Walnut Beast

The Coast headlamp has a spot to flood on front also. I don't buy regular batteries anymore. They don't last and opened to many things to find corroded batteries. Lithium batteries or rechargeable. These rechargeable batteries are the only ones along with lithium batteries recommended for my 500 dollar Reconyx game cameras. I've saved hundreds and probably over a thousand using these rechargeable batteries of different sizes for different stuff 

samandothers

The headlamps today certainly beat the old carbide lamps I remember wearing on a hat clip when we'd go to the farm to feed back in 60's.  Also beats having to hold the flashlight in your mouth!

Ianab

This is the little torch I got the other day. I think about $20 NZ, so $14 US?

Pocket sized, LED + Lithium battery (USB recharge).  and aluminium case. I can see the point of headband lights too, but for me I need a bright light to peer into the depths of a PC case, to see if those black wires are still connected to that black PCB connector with the black writing on it.  :D

Or to have in my pocket it I might be out late. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!