iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

most worthy charity.

Started by doc henderson, January 08, 2022, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

It by all accounts has been a tough couple of years.  People are tired of politics, mandates, and being sick.  many have lost loved ones.  people with a difference of opinion have become enemies.  Kids home instead of school, and a parent not able to work so financial issues.   suicide rates up.  I was taught by my dad, to not just give money to people.  family get togethers canceled.  elders dying alone in a hospital bed as family is not allowed to visit.  We do not donate randomly, but when a need is seen.  We have donated to military memorials.  Tunnel to towers and wounded Warrior.  
My dad was a truck driver in the 60s and 70s.  He always carried a gun.  he had been an MP in the army.  If at a truck stop, someone claimed to need something to eat he would buy the food and not give them money.  half would get *pithed and walk away as they really wanted the money for something else.  so, I am cursed with being wary of giving money that further harms the person and does not help.
We used to give to the police benevolent association.  used to get a call from an officer who would come by and pick up the envelope from the mailbox.  it devolved as it got bigger, to a salesperson calling from New Jersy with hard sales tactic guilting you into giving.  then two guys in an old car with everything they owned in the back (homeless) pull in the drive asking for the donation.  they were doing community service, and God bless them, but it made me nervous that strangers were showing up at my house.  I stopped giving, and they stopped calling.  
When I traveled, I carried spam singles, and if a guy at a stop sign said he needed food, he got two packs.  The next time I stopped, I looked to see if the packs were on the round, and they were not.  I gave money to a guy at WM with my daughter there when he claimed to be out of gas.  He asked again 3 weeks later, and got his ass chewed, he jumped in his car and left, so I guess he was not out of gas ... again.
we are involved with BSA.  We gave to the Wesley Children's Hospital when it was founded.  We have made things for the Reno County Cancer Council.  so, all this having been said, and with need at an all-time high, my question is "what are the worthiest charities you know of"?  I do not want to give to ones that use 60% of funds for administration.  some have volunteer boards, and all the money is used for the entity.  
What charities are in need, and worthy of my donation?  thanks.

corn hole game for cancer charity in General Woodworking (forestryforum.com)

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

In the nearby town where we used to work, the same pro panhandlers are outside the big box stores always. By my observation they do well.
In Lexington, KY people are either ticked off by them or trying to save them from themselves. The city tried running a so-called work van than picked them up from street corners then taken to day jobs if sober, etc. for real work. That paid more than regular day labor places which wasn't real cool IMO. That lasted about as long as you'd guess. They are now back begging and certain people "own" certain corners there.
We choose our donations by use of charity rating websites as one main aspect of our decision. Some highly worthy sounding charities are not so efficient and often top heavy as well. The best of those sites tells you what things they do well with money and whats not so good. Not all charities make their information so available for perusal! Just for personal notions- The Red Cross I find far too top heavy. Locally two places that collect blood-red cross is not the one I'll give blood to at all, I go with Central KY Blood Center. I've seen them up close and personal and charging for what other organizations give away. BSA seems to have gone by the wayside since the legal issues they suffered? 
The military charities are all not equal in how they use money. TV ads are not the best device to choose IMO. 
In my rural area United Way doesn't exist period. When we used to go to FB games in the city they'd collect at games and I gave nothing because the money didn't follow me back to Eastern KY-it stayed in those more wealthy areas where services abound. 
We lean toward military charities (lifes experiences talk to us) and those that service the publics greater needs, not narrow stuff. Bluntly I'll say that I place human needs over animals which I'm sure is less popular than once was.   
Only recently The Salvation Army was severely affected in donations by one of their own people having made some statements that were regarded in the press & public as bad talk. Given my wife's time as a social worker we know full well that the recent fiasco doesn't apply to that entire organization and they remain as one of the most efficient users of money for social good that we know of. Fischer House is another of our choices that's very efficient.
Some highly deserving care providers are also flush with money. One of my SIL's worked many years for Shriners but says they have more money than "carters got pills" so we throw ours elsewhere on her advice. St.Judes might be that way too-only a guess though?
Check out the websites rating charities, at the very least it's useful to see what matters overall to rate them. We also alternate our giving from year to year. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

Back in the day I worked with a guy who got tire of people bumming a cigarette off him so he started carrying a can of PA and a pack of cigarette papers and when someone would ask him for a cigarette he'd hand them the makings. Usually they gave them back. As often as not they'd reach around and pull out a pack they had hidden. They would mooch but would not roll their own cigarette.

We get calls every day from people supposedly soliciting money for what sounds like very worthwhile causes like Police, Fire Dept, Breast Cancer, etc. I hang up immediately now. A very high percentage, if not all, of any money you do give to these leeches goes for their fund raising and not to the actual purpose cited.

As I remember the benevolent organization with the best track record of use for intended purposes was the Salvation Army. I think 95% of every dollar they got went to the needy with only 5% used for admin purposes.

The USO is another good one to remember. They do great work for the troops here in the USA and overseas.

I agree with Doc, people beg for money for food but get mad when you offer to feed them. They just want the money for drugs or booze.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

chet

We help out our local cancer funds, money stays local and helps local folks. Also local fire victims that have lost their homes. These needs are obvious.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Roxie

Salvation Army 
St. Jude's Children's Hospital 

I give money to panhandlers because I would rather make the mistake of giving money to someone that doesn't need it, than to withhold it from someone that does. 

Say when

doc henderson

My Dad told me at a young age (16) not to and it stuck.  I know that not all fatherly advice is profound, but I have made several mistakes based on that.  like giving a ride to two strangers because I did not want to give money based on my dad's comments.  he also told me not to use the big cuss words that start with an F, never out cuss a woman (only go to the level she does), do not get tattoos, do not drink and drive.  I do not ever cuss in anger.  an occasional Sh.. word.  @Roxie I respect your choice.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

We have a homeless shelter.  you have to be sober and go out during the day to work or look for a job.  you do get food there.  we have a homeless vet in a wheelchair missing a leg.  he will not go to a shelter as he had an infestation, and they threw his prosthetic leg away.  so now he is seen all over town in his chair, day and night.  he has rounds and gets fed.  if it is really cold, he comes to the ED.  we feed him.  he refuses to go to the VA for help as well.  we have tried.  He really does not need money.  He is my age.

mike_belben

We live by the rule that God commands the first 10% of your blessings/earnings whatever, be divested immediately. Deny yourself a portion.. The best portion in the case of meat sacrifices, is Gods true mandate to obey there.

In the old testament spotless juicy little lambs were burned on alters.  This is so you cant be using it to gain favor or buy or trade with it under the guise of being generous and letting your "generosity" go to your head. It was literally discard the most desireable thing to demonstrate your obedience and i think the spirit of this giving needs to be recalled.  It has nothing to do with whether they immediately shoot it in their arm but that you denied yourself.  God doesnt need our tips or scraps or burnt meat.  

The tithe is a minimum and the offering is what comes after the minimum.  The more we give the more we receive.  Gave $150 at a church a few months ago when we only 'owed' $100 (and we barely ever get by and never ever ask for anything no matter what)  next day i get a check in the mail for $5k from massachusetts suing the company that used dirty tricks to foreclose on my house.  I knew nothing about the suit and never told mass where i was going.  No 5k doesnt make up for the 100 grand i lost but i find God gives you what you need when you need it, and i needed to be shoved out of that state. I have many many of these sorts of stories but thats the one thatll wow the most.

I insist on looking the person im giving to in the eyes and saying God Bless or this is from the Lord etc because thats what its about for me and i want them to know that. I dont care at all whether they like it or not. An atheist is happy to take Gods cash trust me. The atheist is who i want to give to the most in fact. I walk up to sketchy people in bad situations and give it them.  could be cash, food, socks, a towel, an old sweatshirt whatever. People asking or panhandling i go case by case.  Its easier to fake it on a sunny day than in the freezing cold or rain or with a limb missing.

Burgerking cards or walmart cards or even truckstop gift cards ($12 for an awesome shower at pilot.  There is nothing to lift the spirits of a family living in a car in winter like an unlimited hot shower) and stuff like that are a very good way to go about this.  Most addicts really are starving too.  Its their life to throw away, if they wanna pawn the gift card for a small fractional value in drugs theyre gonna and you cant change that so let it go.

I actually own www.In-Jesus-Name.com and its sad that the entire world tallied up the value of the savior's name and the most common prayer ending known to man, at $2.99 a year. Just like judas calculated that 30 pieces of silver was enough to betray the living God.  what fools.

So anyway its just a parked domain, but part of my lifes work/ministry is developing it into a charitable organization. I still need to incorporate a 501C3 and develop a site.  The idea is visa gift cards that just say In Jesus Name across the front of a blank white card.  Its purpose is to encourage people to 1) increase their obedience by tithing like they should for their own benefit 2) get them interacting with the downtrodden more 3) to show the homeless and the cashiers of the world how generous christians are and mostly 4) to bring glory to the kingdom. A cash card with his name on it is like a billboard on the interstate of the recipients mind that says "jesus" on it. The homeless addict doesnt need preaching, hes already thrown out all the tracts and said god aint helpin me.  But if i put a 50 in his hand that says "love, God" on it..  Oh yeah?  You sure he didnt orchestrate our meeting?  You sure he aint helped you?  A few in a row might jar that junkie into a change.  I know i was headed to prison when he snatched me up.

No one is all bad, and everyones gotta eat.  Not just "good people."   God says very clearly he has measured all hearts and there aint a one so we have to be careful not to judge in our attempts to be generous.
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

:) some of us had/have  pretty similar fathers.  I try and help some neighbors raising a grandson. I have two foster daughters. I help 4-H/FFA  any kid selling raffle tickets, band candy etc.  I help  locally as much as possible. Phone solicitations and mailings hit the trash..
PETA, HSUS, and their ilk are vile and corrupt. (Animals are a huge part of my life).  Mike sometimes what you write reminds me, (even though I try )
to humble myself and count my blessings. :) I will just leave it at that. 
I hope your lessons reach others as well.

WV Sawmiller

Cyber space got my last reply again I see. ::)

My old CG in USMC once said about Navy Relief - give people a hand up not a hand out.

On a project in Cameroon my roommate talked with the lady Wachenhut guard downstairs. She worked 6 days a week, 12 hours per day for 50,000 cfa or about $80/month back then. Jack asked her what she wanted to do in life and she said she wanted to be a hair dresser but she could never save enough money to buy a hand held hair dryer to start. Jack bought her one for about $25. She quit her job with Wachenhut, set up a hairdressing business (Might have been a straight chair on a street corner which was common over there) and immediately started making 50K to 60K per week while working 30-40 hours per week so she cut her hours in half and quadrupled her income doing what she wanted to do in her life.

Our old security manager and his wife on that project tried to help the people there. She gave needles and thread and cloth to the local prison inmates and they learned to embroider napkins and tablecloths and did amazing work. They were learning a skill. She and her friends would wash and sell the sets for big money. The work was so fine the thread never showed on the back side. Steve was looking at providing manual sewing machines so people could make and sell clothes and such. If you gave them money others would steal or con them out of it. 

Remember the old saying "Feed a man a fish you feed him for the day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." The problem is finding a way to help a man become self-sufficient.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Mike that is a great way to look at it.  I do give money to established charities, and on a case-by-case basis.  the prof. panhandlers are the same at out WM, and have a cooler and folding chair, and a dog with a cute bandana scarf on its neck.  I try to vet folks a bit and give to entities that vet for us.  most free clinics require tax info to confine the users to the needy, as not to use up the time volunteered by health care folks.  We had a mom with a very ill child.  the car was out of gas, and dad just got out of jail.  she wanted to take her infant home and take it to the big hospital after they got a paycheck and could drive.  3 of us put together 40 bucks so the child would not be taken home and die.  This sounded almost unbelievable, but the welfare of the child was at stake, mom never asked us for help, and the child went to the Childrens hospital.

mike_belben

There is a saying in the south i heard many times when i was stranded with broken truck or desperate for $20 to put in the truck and slaved to get it.  "Always help a man who is trying to help himself." I helped get a meth head criminals "log truck" unstuck who is probably occasionally stealing logs.  1.. He is workin his butt off.  2. If i help him i can influence him. Ive already made it clear snatchin any timber here is gonna be noticed by all of us so helping the criminal has also helped the potential theft victims not get robbed.  The suspect has been warned in advance.  Ive developed a knaack for saying dangerous things to dangerous people that i think are more helpful than "get a job you lousy bum." 

Things like son you need to stop bringin all your money here to the pill pushers, they dont need it as much as your baby needs diapers, i hope to see you here a lot less.  No one ever gets mad at this.. They get ashamed.  And i think that is the start of turning people back on the right path.  Youve gotta position yourself in the gutter to steer folks out of it.  

I dont see the professional charity crowd gettin in the gutter with any tough love. 

Praise The Lord

Raider Bill

I give to fisherhouse.org 
I also give to locals that lose their home to fire.
Couple bills in the hand helps when you just lost everything.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 08, 2022, 11:44:07 AMI also give to locals that lose their home to fire.
On December 4th, a sweet lady in our community had a total loss due to fire. 

The next morning PatD and I decided that instead of exchanging Christmas Gifts, we would give it all to her which we did.  It was the best Christmas Gift that I ever did not get.

St Judes or the Shriner's Hospital gets my vote for worthy charities.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

What is a worthy charity to me may not be the best for you. There is no "one size fits all". To me, one of the most worthy is a neighbor in need who is willing to help himself. We do support a couple of the large organized charities based on personal experience of myself and some close friends. I am fortunate to be associated with a church whose un-official motto is "love thy neighbor as thyself". I could write a large book, but that's maybe food for another post or two. :)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mike_belben

Thanks guys. 

while im ranting about perspectives.. Suffering isnt always bad, and "wealth" isnt always good.  I can give a lifetime of examples of well off people living in misery, and lowly people living in harmony.  

In my own life, one of my worst years as a family i made almost 100k with complete misery and dysfunction in the home.  

We are 5 years in a camper and my 4th furnace blower is the final straw, im not buying any more of them.  We are in a cold spell and my 4th revision of the outdoor forced hydronic system is still not on line so i think its 5 days of one electric heater and 50s inside. We do have a wood stove in a shack without plumbing so no one is gonna freeze and squatting on a thunderbucket never killed anyone.  Look how many orphans came out of the great depression.  An hour ago my kids were looking at older family pictures on moms old phone and absolutely cackling in joyous laughter that almost brought me and mom to tears.  Id give up a lot of heat for more of that and money cant buy what hardship has provided. Our souls are satisfied and the rest is just stuff. 

I dont worry so much for my kids if the system collapses, theyve gotten plenty of thrift training.  Its those with good incomes whos lives will fall apart and have no idea what to do if the cash flow stops. 

When a house burns down nearby we go see what they might need. Its usually someone fooling with meth but theyre still in need so we do what we can.  
Praise The Lord

GAB

Its been said "Givers have to have limits because Takers have none".
I get the feeling that if you give to an outfit that they use their givers list as an income source, and your information ends up on a "suckers list" and you are considered easy prey.
To minimize the number of calls for donations I get I quit giving to organized organizations.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

olcowhand

I knew you all had Big Hearts. God Bless you all for the help that you give others.
Since I have a Bible- based hesitation to acknowledge my own giving, I'll speak to areas where I've witnessed some great opportunities...
While I feel it's my duty to help a neighbor who expresses a need (requests help), I think it's a servant's duty to help when a need is seen.

• I know a guy that purchases a couple hundred $ worth of $25.00 Gift Cards at Meijer and will stand by the Turkey Cooler before Thanksgiving and hand them out to folks picking up groceries for Thanksgiving Dinner. If they decline, he won't take it back, but encourages them to gift it to someone else as they see fit. It warms 2 or three hearts that way...
  • He will also have some of those in his Truck Glove Box and give one to a Panhandler. That way, if the Panhandler needs gas or Groceries, they can get those, but would have to "sell" the card for something less if they intend to procure something else. BTW; this person will not spend one second with doubts about the Gift's use. If the person asking says it's for Family, and the giver gives- he did his duty. Any lying or fraud involved is the recipient's sin, not the Giver's.
  • He will also take a handful of those cards and give them to the cashiers and ask them to give them to the next Veteran, Family, or any person that looks like they could use it. He's been told that many times, the Vet will turn it over to the next person in line....
  • He'll randomly pick a "Victim" in the Check- out line and ask them if he can cover their purchase. He was pretty surprised once when the person also presented a ticket for a Big Screen TV (In for a Penny, in for a Pound....) to the Cashier. It's still giving.
  • He was in Salvation Army one time picking up Silverware for his Welding Art, and witnessed a Vet loading up on Insulated Hunting Suits and Boots. What got to my friend was that the Vet also had a couple of Suit cases to pack the stuff in. He asked the guy if he could cover, and they began chatting. The Vet asked my friend if he is a real Cowboy (noticing the hat...), to which the reply was in the affirmative. It turns out that they had Cowboyed within 40 miles of each other in Northeast Montana in the mid '70's. The Vet was only a year or two out of Vietnam then. My friend had hitchhiked out west to learn how real Cowboys did it. The Vet was homeless with his wife. The Salvation Army bill was $84.00, and my friend also gave the Vet the rest of his Pocket folding money.
  • This same guy will leave money at the register at Secondhand stores and tell them to let it ride for the following customers until it's gone. Two weeks ago, one cashier told him that the previous week, the next 5 people did the same thing..... If giving anonymously is a disease, then it's contagious.  
For many of us, Giving and Serving make us closer to the Savior who came for us without being asked. There are gifts that make both parties "richer".
Great topic, Doc...
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Jeff

Going forward, I'm thinking the spirit of this topic was not intended for the negativity type posts, as it spawns more. Think about it before you engage your typing fingers. I'm tired of negative everywhere.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bricklayer51

WV Sawmiller

When I worked in Saudi there were various beggers - some legit, some not. At the time, long before we got involved with Afghanistan, there were many Afghani refugees in the area. Many filled the niche as street cobblers. A new refugee would make his way to Jeddah and the other, more settled refugees would set him up in in business with one of the shoe dogs/anvils and probably a tack hammer, thread, brushes and needles, etc,

There were lots of Afghani kids hanging out in the main Souq and such. They would walk up and try to sell you a face cloth or chewing gum. I never saw one beg. They would hang out by the car park and when you paid your parking fee and got your change they would place a little pack of gum on your window hoping you'd buy it. Most of the time I did not want the gum but I'd buy it even if sometimes gave it right back. Another thing I noted about them was their faces were always clean while many other nationalities were not anywhere near as diligent about their personal hygiene. I always respected the Afghani kids I saw there.

There was a little beggar girl in Cameroon who sat at an intersection with her blind father. She had the sweetest smile and sometimes I'd see her dancing and playing. I doubt she was over 10 years old. Often I'd come back from the market and have some fresh produce and I'd give her an orange or tangerine or such. One year at Christmas I brought her back a bunch of coloring books and crayons. I don't know if she was able to keep them or had to give them away or sell them or such. Mostly I wanted her to be able to enjoy something for herself.

I remember buying a coffee cup sized ceramic/clay brazier from a lady in Guinea. I understood it was 10,000 Guineas ($1.40) and I paid her that and walked off. That lady went and got change and chased me for 2 blocks to give me my 9,000 Guinea change. She had told me 1,000 cfa (14 cents) and I misunderstood. When she tried to hand it to me I looked at it and told her to keep it for her honesty. The money was insignificant to me but I will always treasure the fact she tried to return it.

Kids in Cameroon used to chase me down and want to be my porter and carry my veggies and such I bought. I'd pick out the smallest kid in the bunch and hire him just to get the rest to leave me alone. The other, larger kids would follow and watch. When we were nearly done and out of sight for a minute or so I'd slip him a 500 or 1,000 cfa note ($2-$3 as I remember) and he'd jam it in his clothes somewhere to hide then and the end of my shopping I'd pull out a 25 -50 cfa coin and give him. I figured if the big kids shook him down all they'd know was he had the coin. I once started to a crowded area and he pulled me back and said "Ali baba" and pointed ahead meaning they were pick pockets so we by passed them. He was good security and well worth his pay.
Howard Green

kantuckid

Feel free to delete my last post as it's got plenty of negativity in it and I have no desire to rile anyone. 

mike_belben

My wife was paying a random christmas layaway bill at walmart as a tithe, and while she was there someone else was doing the same thing, $500 at a wack.. Multiples of them.  She is also one to pay someones bill behind her in line at a drive thru, stuff like that.   She will give money we doesnt even have and i have to remember generosity is one of her best traits once in a while.  

Im not big on giving to churches.  We do it all the time but i know the money is often just going into a paycheck or building fund or utility and not going anywhere that reduces human suffering directly. We go to different churches all the time now and it has cut out the church politics issues that came with belonging to just one. Or we do church at home. 

Im terms of giving i want the most bang for the buck.  If someone has shoes all taped together and ive got a pair i dont wear often in the truck id rather give them my shoes or hoodie as i know its an immediate asset that cant really be abused. But anyway i really do try to cut the middle man out and help face to face.  A lot of good things have come of it. 

My online persona is not often a ray of sunshine but i cant tell you how many great people have come to my aid when ive been down and out.  It makes it easier to reach in my pocket when i remember that.  The Lord was generous with me so i can afford to be so with others.  Tithing can be as simple as a big tip for a stressed looking waitress.  Everyone needs a boost now and then and youre eyes are just as good at identifying that person on the fly as some big corporate service agency. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

For the tramping panhandlers outside walmart, two times ive offered a bag of apples or loaf of bread.. And had it turned down!  The person living in their car in the parking lot never does.

For a while last winter a methodist church was doling out semi loads of trump administration boxed food for covid relief and my 83 yr old buddy up the road would bring a truckload. As the weather heated up it became a mad dash to get rid of the stuff before the milk and sour cream etc spoiled.  I doled out hundreds of boxes over a few months.. At first mostly to the welfare class until i had to put one inside a fridge for the granny who had a broken ankle.  I could not fit one gallon of milk in that fridge.. Thats 3 checks under one roof and all they could cram in.  After that i targetted just normal working poor slaves particularly with kids. Normal people are always choosing between food or gas or mortgage every week and always were happy to get 40 lbs of free stuff.  I met a whole lotta people doing that.. Just driving down the road looking for someone outside. If it was too sunny id bang on doors, try to get rid of it fast yet spread it around to different people.  

Folks get used to free stuff real fast and take on new debts with the savings from the freebie so it was good that the program ended.  
Praise The Lord

Machinebuilder

I am not much on giving money.

I do help people that are willing to give back or work for it. I don't know how much firewood I've given away.

One organization I know of but not much about is Hiefer International.
What I have seen is they do not give food to needy people. instead they give them an animal that they can get food from.
Ex. if the give a family chickens the eat the eggs not the chicken.

I mentioned it to my Mom's minister some years back and he didn't seem to think much of them so I didn't look deeper.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Cedarman

I, like most of you don't give to organized charities because of lack of accountability.
Our church has grouped with other churches in the area to help people in need.  They vet the people who need the money and help those that need it the most.  100% of the money donated goes to that purpose.  Once a month our rep asks for donations and  gives updates on the people that needed help and  why they needed it.  Usually they need just a short term infusion to pay off a water bill, late rent, or electric bill.  They also help run the local food pantry.  Our country just got its first stop light at an interstate ramp, so you can see we are rather rural.  Hardee's opens the 15 of Fed, at the new truck stop , making it the second fast food place after Subway at the other truck stop, in the county.  A lot of poor people here, but you do not see any panhandling.  Only in the neighboring county near a big box store.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

kantuckid

After asking Jeff that my 2nd post be deleted, I'm returning to my original point that there are means to evaluate the main charity groups via web groups who objectively rate them based on the factors which matter, aside from the actual group/s they intend to serve-which you can decide for yourself.

In reading my Telephone Co-ops magazine this a.m., I read an article that touches the subject directly of Doc's thread-charity giving.  
The article tells of a local Search and Rescue Group from a small rural, adjoining county which functions in mine and other counties in the Red River Gorge Geological Area near my home. The article informs me that they do over 60 remote rescues annually, more than any similar group in the state of KY. Our area is visited by not only state park people but over a million climbers and hikers from all over the world. That group operates with basically zero local or state funding, uses an old duct taped truck and jeep for rescues and mostly self-funded and a few fund raisers. They competed this year in a FB based competition via a video and won a new Range Rover outfitted for their rescue use. I need to check it out-they are Wolfe County KY Search & Rescue on their FB page. Thats an e.g. of a local NGO who gets not much at all from the local or state government but performs a dangerous public service. Most of their rescues are either cliff related and what's called steep incline rope rescues and swift water rescues from the Red Rivers upper and lower stream use by kayakers and canoeist. They make the news in my end of KY really often. One last fall event was a small boy who'd fallen way down off a cliff then rescued by his own Dad who managed to climb/slide down the cliff and the little guy was all right. Many do die here each year from rock face falls-climbers and sometimes drunk hikers or night walkers in the gorge.
Look locally is the larger point I guess.

Need I say-Churches and religion don't make great opinion topics on a public forum? 
When my wife was a social worker in early 1970's, her clients were of two groups-families, of which she had nearly 200 and an impossible task! I remember telling her that a paperboy throws hardly that many newspapers let alone do much more as she was asked to perform. Her other group was indigent people who had ended up there in KS but had no means to travel, eat, clothe, or house themselves.  The Salvation Army was hands down her go to group that always came through no matter what. They have very recently suffered some bad publicity which I hope donors don't buy into because one member of their group mouthed off . But nowadays information often is taken off the web and used often wrongly. Kind of like having contact with one bad clerk and not shopping a store as people will do.     

doc henderson

some great ideas.  we often call on "first call for help" and they will give a voucher to be seen in the free clinic, and will fill non narcotic prescriptions for people on a yearly per person basis.  My suspicions are high when the commercials are highly produced as well.  After 40 years in medicine, i still care for people, but the more you "try" to tug my heart strings, the more I look a little closer.  Right or wrong.  I will look close to home.  any other ideas of local stuff in your areas that may be in need?  Thanks all.

hacknchop

Some religious groups will make providing food as part of their ministry inadvertently creating what are referred to as rice Christians. 
Often wrong never indoubt

scsmith42

My wife is the Medical Director for a 501c3 non profit veterinary surgical group that specializes in providing low cost spay and neuter, with an emphasis on helping very low income clients. SNAP-NC: Spay Neuter Assistance Program of North Carolina

Their mission is to reduce the euthanasia rates in animal shelters by reducing the number of unwanted puppies and kittens that end up there.

One shelter that they serve used to have a 99% kill rate. Ie if 100 animals came in the front door, 99 of them went out the back door.

That shelter credits Snap-NC with getting the kill rate down into the 60% range.

Over 50% of the animals that Snap operates on have never been to a Veterinarian before.

Donations are used to subsidize their lowest income clients, or for capital expenditures such as new mobile hospitals. But most donations go to the subsidy program so that folks on public assistance only have a $20 co-pay.

100% of the donations are used for the above purposes. Nothing is used for overhead, staff, etc.

They have performed almost 200,000 sterilizations since the program started 22 years ago. Yes, it's local to the 13 counties surrounding Raleigh, NC buts it's still a great cause and organization.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mike_belben

Thats awesome.. Wish we had something like that here.  Theres a human shelter in town that we probably should donate to at some point when theres some money. 
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

The sports radio show I'm involved in raised money every year for one person in need and a veterans heating fund at the local American Legion. 
This year we did $7,000 for a 
Little boy who needs a special dog that can tell when he has a spell coming on.
$15,000 went to the heating fund.
The heating fund was started by the show. It now has around $45,000 and it's gone to folks all over NH and Vt.
Send a letter to the Lebanon NH Legion to apply 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kantuckid

Quote from: hacknchop on January 09, 2022, 01:17:03 PM
Some religious groups will make providing food as part of their ministry inadvertently creating what are referred to as rice Christians.
Food was actually a recent donation we made right after the western KY tornadoes. I saw a news article that the well-known World Kitchen guy was taking his food operation into the Mayfield, KY area to feed people who had no home, no kitchen or were responding with help there.
 Then I saw a FB piece that told of a number of Louisville, KY food trucks also headed there to provide free food.
 I messaged them and learned that they were in fact coordinating with The World Kitchen group, so I sent a paypal directly to The World Kitchen knowing it would be helpful. 
My larger point is sometimes we choose differently who we give to from year to year besides our regulars. 
 This food effort hit home for me as I'd been on active duty/Martial Law for several weeks during the horrible 1966 Topeka, KS tornado and seen the issues firsthand and that a certain well-known group sold food vs. free food from all the others who helped there. 
 You have to eat, end of story.  
Not to dwell on this but I/we never give to the TV ads asking for $19 a month, the magic number no matter what's their group or cause- just our take on things. 

WV Sawmiller

I took my then 11 y/o son and went down with a chain saw to help clear limbs and tops after hurricane Hugo hit Charleston SC and we were camping in the back of my truck. I remember we stopped at a local church designated as a disaster center and a group from Louisiana had come out and set up a local kitchen and were providing hot meals to the residents, police and people who came down to help. I had tuna and crackers and pop tarts but when we stopped they insisted we eat with them and we had a much better meal than I had expected. They told me they stayed packed and ready to prepare and serve 10,00 meals and headed to the location as soon as it was obvious where the storm would hit. Once there they also got additional food as salvage from people who had lost power and the stuff in their freezer was thawing.

I still remember the tale about a new guy hiring on to a big firm in an office environment. It was close to Christmas and everybody seemed to have some cause they were championing so he put a collection jar on his desk and a plaque "For the children of Israel" and he was doing pretty well with it till the admin folks finally got his nameplate made and put on his desk. It said "Israel Johnson". After that his donations dwindled.
Howard Green

goose63

Make a Wish every year here in our little dinky town we come with 4.000 to 7.000 

And the local animal shelter I like to leave a few bags of dog and cat food 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

K-Guy

Although I'm not a religious person , I like giving to the Salvation Army. They run with only as many paid staffers as they have to, most are volunteers saved by them. Everywhere I've been in Canada and the US, I've only heard good things about them helping people, not judging them.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Brad_bb

Your local humane society.  Just got my second kitten from them, the other a year ago.  I would've taken older cats, by my 10 yr old would not have done mixed with that.

Being from the greater Chicagoland area, people asking for money at the traffic light or off ramp are all scammers.  Never give them money.  They are there day in and day out.  Many alcoholics and drug addicts, and many just don't want to have a real job and any responsibility.  The old "I just need 5 bucks for gas to get home" is an old one that I fell for as a young teenage driver.  It's just a scam.  

Every so often you get soft and have to learn your lesson again.  2 years ago I was at the gas station near my house and a guy there had a hard luck story about how he just started a new job at the warehouses nearby but he didn't have money to eat that day as he hasn't got his first paycheck yet. He just wanted enough to get some bread and lunchmeat.  He was a very good actor and very convincing.  There was a subway in this gas station so I told him I'll tell you what, I'll buy you sub, but I'm not giving any money.  He paused and I should have read that sign.  I bought him a footlong.  I left the gas stating but that pause was eating at me so I quickly turned into the gas station back lot and drove around the other side.  I parked with a vantage point of most of the pumps and watched the same guy approach every single person there.  Some morons giving money too.  After he hit at least half a dozen people(not including however many he hit before me), I followed him as he walked around the building and git in his car (not a beater by any means) and drive away.  Had to learn my lesson again.  God help anyone who genuinely needs help, and condemn these scammers.  Indianapolis has a lot of street corner beggers too.  The law in Indy is something like they can't ask you for money but they can hold up a sign.  They play the game.  It's so frustrating when I see the sucker, I mean car ahead of me give money to these deadbeats.  And over the last 5 years, If you wanted to work, there is work available.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

hacknchop

My comment about about rice  Christians has nothing to do with disaster relief which is a worthy cause and yes there are huge disasters that receive must publicity and help. There are also small and personal disasters that affect just one family or even one person,both are worthy causes. There is nothing better than helping others in there time of need.
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!