iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A window into the past, the good old days.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2022, 03:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here is an article by David Palmer in Atlantic Forestry Magazine. He has worked for a local forest products marketing board in New Brunswick and is now a retired forester.

http://www.rurallife.ca/a-word-or-two-1/2020/10/9/atlantic-forestry-september-2020
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stavebuyer

Interesting read. Change the names of the towns and the players the story would read much the same here.

moodnacreek

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 11, 2022, 03:27:53 AM
Here is an article by David Palmer in Atlantic Forestry Magazine. He has worked for a local forest products marketing board in New Brunswick and is now a retired forester.

http://www.rurallife.ca/a-word-or-two-1/2020/10/9/atlantic-forestry-september-2020
As I mentioned before I was going up there in the '80's and on a Sunday when the salmon where not hitting took a ride and let myself walk through those 2 sawmills in Boicetown mentioned in the article. Back then those bee hive burners were going strong. I would like to think it never changed.  Thanks for posting this, Doug

SwampDonkey

In the 70's and early eighties, I used to enjoy going to the lumber camps and also the warden's camps on the upper part of that drainage you were at Doug. The wardens showed us a good fishing hole, full of 5-8lb brook trout. The good old days. ;D  That era is all gone. Heck, all the lakes and streams out in the middle of no man's land had signage up, that's gone to. Salmon pools had signage. We've gone behind since. :-\  Most signs and stuff got trashed by vandals, people got tired of fixing. Seemed to be a new breed out there with no respect.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moodnacreek

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 14, 2022, 04:31:18 AM
In the 70's and early eighties, I used to enjoy going to the lumber camps and also the warden's camps on the upper part of that drainage you were at Doug. The wardens showed us a good fishing whole, full of 5-8lb brook trout. The good old days. ;D  That era is all gone. Heck, all the lakes and streams out in the middle of no man's land had signage up, that's gone to. Salmon pools had signage. We've gone behind since. :-\  Most signs and stuff got trashed by vandals, people got tired of fixing. Seemed to be a new breed out there with no respect.
Some of us cherish the outdoors. We are keen on the surroundings, the differences from one hill to the next and in between. For others it's a place to cut loose and abuse everything. I guess they never had the mentors we did.

Thank You Sponsors!