Trees for coastal property everything I plant dies

Started by top gnome, April 17, 2022, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top gnome

Hi
We own property on the bay of fundy and the spruce trees that are growing here are at the end of their life span and toppling like domino's with each big storm we have. three in the month of January. We have lost a dozen large spruce trees.  We tried planting northern white cedar,  pine,  and service berry to try to get some privacy screen and everything we plant dies. I am not sure but I think the sea spray and the salt are killing the plants. We did get a willow to grow and small white spruce transplanted from other areas on the property have about a 50% living rate. Are there other trees /plants that will make a thick screen and not die? thank you

Clark

There are a lot of variables and I know nothing of dealing with sea spray but there are several things I do to make sure survival is high.

Plant the smallest tree you can find. Nurseries generally make more $$ off larger trees and people want the "instant" tree. Because it will catch up in size with a large tree and shouldn't have as many root issues you are, long-term, better off with a smaller tree. 

Before you stick the tree in the ground, make sure you address any root issues but let me direct you to this resource:

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/treecare/residential_plant.html

This has great information on planting trees and what needs to be done.

Finally, plant either early in spring (now) or late summer (September) and make sure it is well-watered. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Menagerie-Manor

Wife and I lived in a salt water environment in the northeast for years and the 2 best trees we found were Willows as you noticed and River Birch which thrived even after several hurricanes and salt water flooding. Really liked the River Birch and they were fast growers.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Ianab

Having lived on a fairly rough area of coast for a while,,the wind and salt spray can have a  huge effect on that you can grow. Salt spray will simply burn off the leaves / needles of trees that aren't adapted to survive it.  The local trees wouldn't be much use to you as the climate is too different. 

But I would suggest driving around the area and just looking at what's growing there, both naturally and planted. A mile away from the shore is probably a completely different ecosystem and what might grow well there won't thrive closer to the water. 

A good local plant nursery should also be able to advice on particular local options. 

Clark's general advice is good, but the wrong species choice will get burnt bare in the first good onshore storm, not matter how careful you are with planting and caring for it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

top gnome

thank you for all for the replies. the smaller trees do seem to do better. I will review the attachment.  I will look into river birch and get a couple more willows. the cedar looked so good and promising until they were burnt brown over the winter storms. the white spruce seems to grow well so I will transplant more of them. I was hoping bamboo or maybe a really tall grass or some variety of cedar to make a thick cover.  Thank you again for the advice

SwampDonkey

White spruce and jack pine will be your most tolerant evergreens to salt spray in NS. Yellow birch and heart-shaped white birch are tolerant, red oak is. Staghorn sumac is tolerant of salt.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Check with your local Conservation District to see if they have a Soils Survey completed for your local area. It should identify the suitable vegetation by ecological land types.
~Ron