iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally pulled the trigger

Started by EmannVB, July 08, 2009, 12:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmannVB

After months of research and opinions, I just bought a 2006 Timberking B20 with 73 hours on it.  Came with the debarker, a hand held metal detector and 20 spare blades.  I paid $18,000,which seemed fair based on my research. 

Looking forward to figuring it out... I have zero experience sawing with a mill, so it should be interesting. 
2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

Ga. bow-man

Good Shot

Welcome and congrads on your new mill. Now for the work and fun.
Just ask opinions on the forum about the Timberking Mill and a lot of help
will be freely given.

tyb525

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! I'm sure there will be a lot of fun-and work-on your new mill. You will enjoy it. If you have any questions or whatever, this is one of the best places to ask.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

KyTreeFarmer

Congratulations on taking the plunge. Lots of us have been in your shoes. This is the place to get any questions answered. Don't be to shy to ask!
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

ARKANSAWYER

I tell you what!  You just hook that thing up to the truck and come out here for a week.  We will get that thing sighted in so you can hit the pith every time.  Sounds like a good deal to me and a fine little mill it is.
ARKANSAWYER

Ernie

You're off to a good start, well done.  Just be warned  sawdust makin is very very addictive ;D

Any chance of some pix?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Cedarman

Congratulations.  I can remember the first log "cedar it was" that I sawed in 1983.  Get some pics.  Let us know how it goes and when you become a professional sawyer (Hit your first log dog).  Enjoy.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

EmannVB

Quote from: Cedarman on July 08, 2009, 03:35:24 PM
Congratulations.  I can remember the first log "cedar it was" that I sawed in 1983.  Get some pics.  Let us know how it goes and when you become a professional sawyer (Hit your first log dog).  Enjoy.

You know, I thought about the possibility of hitting them as I watched the videos! 
I'll post pictures when the mill arrives... should be next week, it's coming to WV from Wisconsin.

Where is the best place to get blades?  I'll be sawing mostly yellow poplar, oak, maple- how long does the average blade last?  Assuming you don't try to shorten the log dogs that is...   ;D
~Mark
2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

tyb525

Mark, you sound like you'll find right in. Most of the mill manufacturers sell blades. I like Woodmizer's blades, but then they are all I have used.

Blade life depends on the blade, if your logs are dirty, how hard the wood is, etc. You should be a able to go through more logs per blade in the poplar than the oak or maple. Ash is especially dulling. I change blades when going any slower would be ridiculous, or the blade starts to dive or go all over the place, or you try to shorten your stops. Metal or rocks in a log is not good for a blade either.

Some will change a blade the moment they can feel it getting dull, others will push it as long as they can. You'll get a feel for it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DouginUtah

Speaking of blades...

One of the smartest things you can do is use a new blade for a few cuts, so that you know it is a good blade, then take it off and hang it on the wall. Then, when you are having problems with a blade dipping or making waves, etc., put on the good blade and if it cuts fine then you know your problem is the blade you were using. If the problems persist then you know there is something else wrong--it is not a bad blade causing the problem.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Cedarman

Doug, you know there is nothing like the "sacred" blade to take the guessing out of mill or blade problem.  Excellent suggestion.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

Congrats on your on first mill!!!!!! Do you have trees to saw? What's the plan for all of the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

Quote from: EmannVB on July 09, 2009, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: Cedarman on July 08, 2009, 03:35:24 PM

You know, I thought about the possibility of hitting them as I watched the videos! 
I'll post pictures when the mill arrives... should be next week, it's coming to WV from Wisconsin.

Don't worry the log dogs are thick on the B20, you'll never make it all the way through unless you hit the same spot a lot.   Steve

Where is the best place to get blades?  I'll be sawing mostly yellow poplar, oak, maple- how long does the average blade last?  Assuming you don't try to shorten the log dogs that is...   ;D
~Mark
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

Wood-Mizer, Menominee and Timbur King are all good places to get your blades and all of them are sponsers. Look on the left side of the page and click on their logos for more information.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

EmannVB

Mill is enroute to my farm in WV!  Should arrive within the hour.  Much to my chagrin, I won't be there for another two weeks  :( I'll have to grit it out.

As I don't have the patience to wait a year or more to saw, is there any reason I can't saw 12/12 (or bigger) posts, and stack them to dry?  Won't start sawing for my home for at least a year...they should be nice and dry by then- and I'll have the joy of actually using the mill.
I'll post pictures as soon as I'm able.

ARKANSAWYER

12x12 post will not be dry for several years.  But saw them any way as it is fun.  You will want to move them as little as possible.  Nothing is worst then having a new toy and not being able to play with it.
ARKANSAWYER

ladylake

Bigger squares tend to crack when drying, it's best to saw them to the  final thickness right away. If you saw them 12 x12 try and saw them to the final thickness soon as you can.  With the width you might want to leave them `12" wide, dry them and then saw to 5-1/2 " after dry as a lot of logs have stress in them and tend to bend when sawn.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

EmannVB

FINALLY got to get up to my property and saw my first log!  Yep, put a 34" X 10' Elm on and let 'er rip.  Had my younger brother there to show mw the finer points... read the book, watched the video- still didn't know much  ::)

Helpful tools (toys) were my JD TLB 110, Husqy 350 chain saw, and my trusty 861 Ford.

Went real basic, just plain sawed 2" thick slabs. 

Couple pictures of the 1st log, and an overhead of the property... lots of sawdust to be made! 8)

fishpharmer

Congrats on the first log.  Ain't it fun? ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Nice toys too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bibbyman

Good job!  Now you can't say you've not got experience.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

djoslin

EmannVB,

Congrats.

I'm also new to this sawmilling, but I can see the addiction to making sawdust. There is a hugh amount of knowledge on this forum, I mostly read all the post and pick up a bunch of good info. and I love the fact people are willing to share experiences good or bad.

I picked up my WM LT40 a couple weeks ago and sawed some cedar and live oak. Well late in the afternoon on my first day of sawing, I decided to get it over with so I hit the log clamp with the debarker. I order a new one last week. It happens, some people it takes days, weeks or years and others like me it takes just a couple of hours.

I am also going to the Texas Forestry Expo. in a couple weeks in Lufkin, Tx. anybody else going?

DJoslin

ErikC

Looks like you're all set. Is your property all the woods around the clearing in the picture? If so you will have plenty of wood to saw for a while. 8)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

southpaw

way to go, I bet your still smilin. I'm still waiting on mill here, ( very soon ).

EmannVB

Quote from: djoslin on September 07, 2009, 09:21:14 PM
EmannVB,

Congrats.

I'm also new to this sawmilling, but I can see the addiction to making sawdust. There is a hugh amount of knowledge on this forum, I mostly read all the post and pick up a bunch of good info. and I love the fact people are willing to share experiences good or bad.

I picked up my WM LT40 a couple weeks ago and sawed some cedar and live oak. Well late in the afternoon on my first day of sawing, I decided to get it over with so I hit the log clamp with the debarker. I order a new one last week. It happens, some people it takes days, weeks or years and others like me it takes just a couple of hours.

I am also going to the Texas Forestry Expo. in a couple weeks in Lufkin, Tx. anybody else going?

DJoslin

D,

I can see how easy it would be to saw something other than wood!  I was moving pretty slow, so I'm sure as I get faster, it will happen!

Erik,
The overhead encompasses about 2/3 rd's of my property.  It has loads of nice straight Yellow Poplar, Red Oak, Ash, Maple, Cherry, and a few Elm.  Once I'm "officially" retired from the good Uncles servitude, I expect to clear out 10-20 acres- sawing everything that's usable  8)

~Mark

Thank You Sponsors!