iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else doing any hunting?

Started by Brian Beauchamp, November 07, 2007, 12:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Beauchamp

I've been seeing a lot of nice bucks lately...got this one on opening day of muzzleloader here in OK:

Warbird

Very nice.  I went out moose hunting once during the season but didn't get anything.  I'm a new hunter but have lots of friends at church who are teaching me.  Not certain what else I can hunt in this area until late in the winter.

submarinesailor

BB,

I'm currently sitting here at work while I 'm suppose to be on leave black powder deer hunting in the mountains of Virginia.  A mandatory meeting got in the way.  But, I'm "planning" on leaving right after the meeting.  Thursday and Friday next week I should be off to do some black powder bear hunting. 

Saturday this past week end, I hit a turkey but couldn't find him.  Saw him flop all over the place, found blood and feathers all over place, but no turkey. >:( >:( >:(

Bruce

Faron

Our gun season opens in ten days.  I haven't deer hunted in several years. I had decided to hunt this year due in part to the amount of crop damage we are seeing.  While I was combining beans in early October, I saw a few deer.  So, I ordered a H&R Handi-rifle in 500 S&W to use instead of my old muzzle loader. Lighter weight, and less messing with it.  Haven't seen a deer since I got it.  :( EHD has hit our deer perhaps harder than I thought.  I will probably go, but whether or not I pull the trigger on any I see is in doubt.

Anyone got some wild hogs they need hunted?   :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

brdmkr

I've been out once.  NADA.  I'll likely go again tomorrow.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

iffy

Leaving Nov 11 for Colorado elk hunt. Hope it is as successful as last several yrs.

Even if we don't do well, it is a welcome break just being there.

Two of my sons got their Kansas archery bucks already. One got a 9 point with a lot of height and the other got a 6 point with lots of mass. 6 pointer field dressed over 220.

bull

Iffy you feedum they will grow !!! congrats to the boys those are beautiful bucks, I think that 6 pointer is more impressive, both are very nice....

Im a deer watcher, my brothers and dad are the hunters, I do all the wildlife managment of the property, thats enough work, they can harvest the bounty.... and I can reap the benefits......
I can get closer to the active population and know there habits and daily locations.... My brother harvested an 8 pointer within a 5 minute window w' bow from a tree stand and right behind him was a 10 pointer.... the 8 pointer was the managment buck the 10 pointer is the heard bull and will not be taken " I hope "

15 to 18 does per day 4 other younger bucks.  let the rut begin!!!

Raider Bill

I have several acres I've cleared and want to seed this winter with something that will attract deer. Have thought of clover. Any suggestions?
I don't want anything tall as some of this will be sort of a lawn.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fuzzybear

This was an interesting year. 1st day out I called in a nice bull moose. Shot him,started dressing him and packing him about 2km to the truck. Returned for another quarter and thought I was loosing my mind. I only packed 1 quarter and there was only 1 quarter left, and where the heck was the head???
  well I did a little exploring and found that 1 quarter was packed away by a grizzly, the other and I think the head was taken by a couple of wolves.  Oh Well...I still have a half right??? Get back to where I left my last quarter and It was gone. Just another day in the life of a bushman.
  So I headed to the house and cut up the 1 quarter I had and took it to town to give to the elders. Spent the next 3 days up in the high mountains calling. finally got one and got it all home.  :D

I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: Warbird on November 07, 2007, 02:35:02 AM
Very nice.  I went out moose hunting once during the season but didn't get anything.  I'm a new hunter but have lots of friends at church who are teaching me.  Not certain what else I can hunt in this area until late in the winter.

Thanks. You'll enjoy it... the neighbor to the north of our hunting property just got back from moose hunting not too long ago. I helped him quarter and butcher a couple of deer he'd had hanging last night, so he gave me some moose steak and burger in return. You need to watch out for the griz up there though! I was actually born in Anchorage on the airforce base...I'm looking forward to coming up that direction sometime when I have the funds to do so...maybe catch some kings or silver salmon.

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: iffy on November 07, 2007, 09:00:46 AM
Leaving Nov 11 for Colorado elk hunt. Hope it is as successful as last several yrs.

Even if we don't do well, it is a welcome break just being there.

Two of my sons got their Kansas archery bucks already. One got a 9 point with a lot of height and the other got a 6 point with lots of mass. 6 pointer field dressed over 220.

Great deer. What part of KS, iffy?

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: submarinesailor on November 07, 2007, 06:37:25 AM
BB,

I'm currently sitting here at work while I 'm suppose to be on leave black powder deer hunting in the mountains of Virginia.  A mandatory meeting got in the way.  But, I'm "planning" on leaving right after the meeting.  Thursday and Friday next week I should be off to do some black powder bear hunting. 

Saturday this past week end, I hit a turkey but couldn't find him.  Saw him flop all over the place, found blood and feathers all over place, but no turkey. >:( >:( >:(

Bruce

What did you shoot the turkey with? I've had a heck of a time trying to put one down with my bow...I've shot 3 with it that I could have sworn were instant downed birds, just to have them run or fly off so fast and far that there was no tracking them. Squirrels, on the other hand, are another issue...I seem to be able to nail those things right and left, but not the turkeys!

Goo luck on the bear hunt...and let us know how it goes!

Don_Papenburg

I guessed that he HIT it with his truck .   I hit a pheasant  early this fall , I slammed on the brakes right away and only had to backup a short distance. ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: submarinesailor on November 07, 2007, 06:37:25 AM

Bruce

I ain't never heeerd of a turkey season in November.  Did I miss something?

As for having grizzly bears stealing portions of kills, you northern and tundra folks can have that stuff all to yourselves.  I'll take gators, giant rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and sand gnats over grizzlies any time.  ;) ;)

I have also heard that the moose and elk themselves can be a bit of a problem at times.  If I lived up that way I'd be carrying a hot stick around with me in a samurai sword holster (in addition to a large bore handgun).  Between overgrown cloven hoofed critters that (during rut or hunger fits) forget that the two-legged types are boss - as well as hungry grizzlies, I would take no chances.

Don K

Where I live in Clarke County in Alabama, we are one of a small handful of counties that has both a spring and fall turkey season. Most of the spring season hunters wish they would do away with the fall season as the big gobblers will bunch up a a group and range together. I have seen as many as 8 boss gobblers scratching through the woods while sitting on a deer stand.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

iffy

Brian - Deer were taken 300 miles apart. The 3 x 3 was in north central Kansas, and the other was south east. Doesn't matter much where you hunt in the state, seems like every landowner has seen a "big 'un". When you try to pin them down, such as "were the antlers past the ears?" they say I don't know, he was just a big 'un. There is another picture in my gallery of one I took in the late 80's about halfway between where the other two were taken.
We also have both a spring and fall turkey season here. Can take up to 4 turkeys in the fall in some parts of the state.

Weekend_Sawyer

LL West Virginia turkey season runs until Nov  17th, overlaps with bow season.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

KarenKae

Is there anyway to HIDE this thread from Arky and the guys on the  yard?
We are so covered up they won't get to go to deer camp!!!!!
(sigh) maybe they can get some meat for the winter over the next couple of weekends, but as I understand it.. "it jes ain't the same".

Lanier_Lurker

Fall turkey seasons eh?

If they start doing that in Georgia (perhaps they already have) my fishing buddy that hunts both deer and turkey may start carrying 2 guns with him up into the deer stand.  :D :D

A rifle and a shotgun.

Weekend_Sawyer

The Savage Model 24 combination gun is a 223 over 12ga mag. A wonderfully versitile gun!
I have owned mine since 97'

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on November 09, 2007, 10:41:04 AM

The Savage Model 24 combination gun is a 223 over 12ga mag. A wonderfully versitile gun!
I have owned mine since 97'

Jon

Those types of guns are pretty neat...my grandfather left us a few different ones like that. He always called them his 'turkey guns'...he always took them with him when he and my dad would go down to TX to hunt.

Raider Bill

I've got a remington 22 over 410 that will also take 45 long colts. Iron sights and right on from the box at 100 yards. Nice piece to carry for small game.

This is my newest addition. Thinking coyotes with a green laser sight.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

KarenKae

I wish Arky could get back to town and visit at the FORUM and catch you guys up on everything.  As it is, I can only help a little.
As Arky was calling LB and Wesson to get in the truck, (one more time for out of town)he said they couldn't run too fast since they were all fat up on Deer meat!
Yep, he said, got one over the weekend. 
He didn't have time to tell me more, but at LEAST he got out there and brought home table meat.

submarinesailor

Well after the first mandatory meeting as over and I was getting ready to leave, but boss' boss walked and said "what leave, there's another meeting at 1:00 PM.  So it was 2:15 PM before I got out of the office.  Got down to Syria (Madison County, VA) much later, too late to hunt that day.  The next day saw nothing at all, not even a squirrel.  The wind blew steady all day long, a cold wind from the north. 

But the next day, Friday, was a whole different story.  Was sitting in my regular stand, been letting a bud with bad knees use it, when here comes is little ball of black fur.  Probably weighted about 50 pounds wet.  Thought that was OK, I like seeing bear in the woods.  About 20 minutes later here comes a larger one, in the range of 125-150 pounds.  Seeing 2 bears in one day, gee that was neat.  But noooo, about 2 hour's later here comes big boy/girl.  This one guess-to-mated to be around 300 pounds.  And boy was it in a big hurry, had places to go I guess.  And boy does a big bear in a hurry make a lot of noise.

And to finish off the morning hunt, just before 11:00 AM here comes a nice heavy bodied 6 point buck running down off the point headed right for my stand.  I got a shot off before he got too far below me and the nice thing was that he ran down onto the logging road, laid down and died.  Backed the truck to him and loaded him right into the bed.

So the turkey got away, but I got my deer.  Good thing I got him on the first shot because the cleaning patch slipped off the jag and I couldn't clear the barrel and load other shot.  A friend, bad knees got pictures.  Hope to post them if he can send them to me.

If things go right, I'm scheduled to be off Thursday and Friday this week and black power bear season came in TODAY.  3 in one day.  You would think I might be able to get one – Most likely NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

wesdor

Shotgun season opened today.  This was the only picture I got, and he isn't that big.  He went down about as far from the house as you can get and in a thicket of brambles, but with the tractor we got him out.  Although not the biggest around, he is still a nice one and will provide a lot of good eating.

Nate Surveyor

My wife's sister's stepfatherinlaw shot a fake deer today, from his car.

Them fines is steep!

I think you should be allowed to shoot them with a fake gun at least!

N
I know less than I used to.

beenthere

That's not good, as he likely was shooting at night..What's the fine where you are at?  In WI, its about $2500 last I heard.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nate Surveyor

I don't know yet. He is a logger. Not the wealthy kind.

N

I know less than I used to.

Furby

This was just on the news a minute ago.
The third hunter that has been shot in MI so far this season, was driving deer to a hunting partner.
That partner proceeded to shoot him through BOTH legs.  ::) ::) ::)

Norm

Well if nothing else the guy is one heck of a shot....most can only hit one leg. :D

submarinesailor

I just don't see how anyone could mistake a human for a deer.  All the years I have been hunting, I can't ever remember shooting at something I couldn't see will enough to identify it, CLEARLY id it.  I personally think the shooter should be charged or have his/her licenses revolted forever.

I hate using orange, but I use it because I remember the year Virginia started requiring it.  The number of shooting went for 27 to 8 – less than a third.  So I use it.

BTW - I did not get any bear hunting this week.  Again I was scheduled for t days off - I took off 15 minutes early on Friday.

Bruce

rbhunter

One thing to remember especially deer hunting make sure of the back stop behind the deer is adequate to stop a bullet. A few years ago some one was killed in Kansas in his truck. The thought is someone shot a deer on a hill top and the bullet carred for quite a ways. A deer will not stop a bullet.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Tom

Montday, Tuesday, wentsday, Thursday, Frightday, Saturday and Suntday. 8)

Dave Shepard

A while back a man was arrested in MA for shooting a fake turkey. It got to court and the judge asked the prosecution if it was illegal to shoot fake turkeys in MA. Nope, it turns out, it isn't. Case dismissed! ;) ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

flip

Our shotgun season opened Saturday.  I heard a guy near us shot a 21 point typical with a 30" spread.  Has to be a county record maybe state, I will post pics. when I get them.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: flip on November 19, 2007, 07:26:34 AM
Our shotgun season opened Saturday.  I heard a guy near us shot a 21 point typical with a 30" spread.  Has to be a county record maybe state, I will post pics. when I get them.

Looking forward to seeing that one!

flip

Hot off the press.  There are a few more pics. that I'll try to get...

:o :o

flip

The new word is that Cabela's is offering him 1,000,000 for the deer.  There was a 42 point deer hit about 25 miles away in a town called French Lick but I have not seen the pictures yet.  I can't believe the stupid big deer getting wacked here lately.

Faron

I am taking my seven year old grandson deer hunting in the morning. 8)  He's been on me pretty hard lately to go.  I do believe the boy got here with enough clothes and gear for an attempt on Mt. Everest. :D  I don't expect I will be skinning a deer tomorrow, though.  Patience is not in the nature of a seven year old, for one thing.  The main reason, though, is deer are pretty scarce right in the immediate area due to the outbreak of EHD.  DNR believes our county lost 50% to 75% of our deer herd. :o  I am not doubting this at all.  I was walking the creek a couple of weeks ago searching for beaver dams and found 4 deer carcasses in about an eighth of a mile span.

Ethan and I will have a good time, no matter what we see.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

faronskid

Hey!  I packed that kid's clothes.  I don't want my "baby" getting cold, besides, you'll be wishin he had more clothes on in the morning when he's complaining that he's cold.  and oh yes, he will be complaining.   Be safe and have fun.
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

Ron Scott

I'm sure that the grandson willl be great company and a hunt you both will long remember.

I stretched the rifle season out to it's fullest this season by taking a spikehorn buck during the final hour of the last day yesterday. Weather was cold and windy with blowing snow so I was thankful for warm clothes to sit it out.

~Ron

Sunfield Hardwood

Here's my first attempt at posting pics, it's a buck I shot with bow this year on nov 13{2 days before our gun season} I've shot over 50 deer with bow but this is the best 8)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Sunfield Hardwood

Help! I read and reread the pic posting instructions, but I just keep adding the same pic to my gallery.when I go to my profile there is no "view my pics link", I find the pic in my gallery then continue,but it go's in my gallery again instead of into the post, any help would be appreciated. Bill
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

beenthere

Use the preview button to determine if you have the pic in your post. If it's there, then you are good to go. If not, click on the "Upload or insert Photo?" under this message box, and then go to your gallery. Click on your pic (if it is there), and scroll down to where it asks if you want to post it in a message ("Click here to copy.......") and you will be asked Yes or No. Once saying yes, go back to your post and it should be there. 
Good luck.

So go to your post, and click on "modify" and bring your pic into it.  :) :)

(That is a real nice buck... ;D ;D ;D )  Congrats
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sunfield Hardwood

Thanks Beenthere, You give great instructions. You folks will probably be sorry that I know how to post pictures  :D, Bill

Norm

We just got back in from our season opener this weekend. The temps have been running around 12 degrees with a 15 mph wind making the wind chill near zero. We've seen tons of does but only two bucks and they were so far away that I couldn't see what size they were. I missed a doe on Saturday while walking in but Joel saved the day today by getting a medium size doe. Thankfully we had fresh snow as we trailed her for a mile before finding her bedded down. A quick shot to the head put her out of her misery. It amazes me she went this far as the blood trail was very heavy but she still crossed a crick and went through a field that had been chisel plowed. We got her skinned out and hanging in the shed. I'm spending the rest of the day feeding the fire and watching football....life is good. :)

Thank You Sponsors!