iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now it's my turn, teak sawmillshed, lol

Started by teakwood, August 09, 2020, 09:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

My layout is way off because it wasn't planed to have a sawmill operation. the log yard is in the middle the sawmill on the left side and the lumber storage on the right side, so it was very inconvenient and inefficient to move the lumber 30m on my pickup.
Because of the hard situation we all face this year i didn't want to spend much money on this build so i decided to go with wood instead of steel because thats what i have for free on my plantations. A teakwood sawmill shed! you guys must think that i went bananas

It's 4 corner posts, which two of them are 6x6 teak posts on top of the concrete wall and two 9x9 ironwood pillars which go 1m into the ground, then two 9m 6x8 teak beams and the rafters on top, pretty simple.

Maybe you see the yellow line on the ground, that's the circumference of the new roof, the two oil buckets is where the ironwood posts go

the beams i had already posted in another topic

Starting with the wood joints, real carpinters work, which i have never done before. they turned out astonishingly nice, it's very very slow but i'm absolutely pleased with the results!

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Nebraska

barbender

Gosh! Timber framed teak sawmill shed! Those joints look great👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

the structure over the concrete is done, now to the harder end. need to do some pockets and cuts in the ironwood. they weight around 300-400kg so there is no bringing them into the wood workshop and tossing them around.

had to make my own teak dowel pins, thanks youtube

the ironwood, they are another chapter! 

the vegetable harvest is also good this year

Walnut Beast

farmfromkansas

Amazing straight logs you have there.  Do you use glue in the joints as well as pegs?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

trimguy

Very nice. Good job. Neat idea with the dowel pins.

mike_belben

A swiss in costa rica doing amish joinery to build a shed from teak. Thats as unique as it gets!  Beautiful work.  

Did you freehand that first 2 sided beam?
Praise The Lord

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on August 09, 2020, 11:59:45 AMDid you freehand that first 2 sided beam?

Yes sir, i'm not bad at it i guess. it was alot easier afterwards on the sawmill, just slide back and forth and turn. no adjusting height, searching for the center, take out the slack,.....

Tom King

That's a nice looking piece of furniture you're building!

teakwood

Quote from: farmfromkansas on August 09, 2020, 11:21:51 AM
Amazing straight logs you have there.  Do you use glue in the joints as well as pegs?
neee, as i will oil the parts completely disassembled with 2 coats of linseed oil the glue would not hold. i probably put a little glue on the pegs so they wont loosen in dry season

teakwood

had a welder fabricate me some braces for the concrete/wood joint. expensive but i wanted them in inox steel.

these are the joints for the long beams

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

We will see how your little puzzle fits together 

Brad_bb

Very nice cutting job!  Beautiful wood too!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

frazman

I like the grain on that wood. Nice clean joints. Excellent work.

thecfarm

That wood looks good!!
As I say, use what you got!! be it wood or equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on August 10, 2020, 06:33:35 PM
Dang u werent playin around
These are fotos form the last 2 weeks, i held of with the start of the topic until i had something to show so you wont get bored.

Crusarius

Satamax

Teakwook, it looks nice. 

Thought, huh, you don't mortice there? 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

teakwood

I wondered when somebody will point that out.

No, just the pocket and then i give some big screws to hold everything together. 

tule peak timber

Beautiful work,,,and wood ! I have quite a bit of teak in my house and I love it.
  If you were to standardize your structure and build it from smaller trees , something like that would sell as outdoor furniture here in California. Wedding chapels, BBQ covers, garden entry's, foyer entry......Just a thought. Export would be easier as it is a manufactured item. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

teakwood

Good thinking Rob. 
some points, first teak is pretty lame as roundwood, just white color, the beautiful heart color would be hidden. second, i think there is already a pretty big market with these things, so it will be low price because of competition. third, i don't have small logs anymore

teakwood

the big pieces are definitively several times harder to work on, no passing them thru the planer, jointer or tablesaw, even my small column drill won't fit on the beams.

Thank You Sponsors!